Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
Makes me wonder just how unplayable PSI was if it was hotfix buffed.

jackofshadows

Magister
Feats
  • Shooting Spree - Will now grant an ability that, when activated, will cause your sniper kills to refund 100% their action point cost. This can happen twice and will expire after the turn ends. All your sniper rifle kills will now also reduced the cooldown of Shooting Spree in addition to Aimed Shot. Cooldown: 8 turns.
Specializations
  • Added Shooting Spree specialization that reduces cooldown of Shooting Spree by 1 turn per point. Max 2 points.
That's so cool! I think after finishing current playthrough gonna update my game and build up some sniper.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Warpig can't stop himself with his hatred toward women!
AcTNg78.png

*Warpig please no hard feelings, its just for lolz

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Well, I reached the point where the game with my current "build" is not valid anymore. First, I spent ungodly amount of attempts killing a gang of lunatics east of GMS compound. Then it's camp Hathor. First area is doable and quite easy, caves are just constant assfuck - considering that I got myself a suit of armor with decent bio resistance.

So, as Underrail resisted my attempts to easily get on it, I guess it's time to stop fucking around and actually start researching the underlying mechanics thoroughly. Good stuff.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Well, I reached the point where the game with my current "build" is not valid anymore. First, I spent ungodly amount of attempts killing a gang of lunatics east of GMS compound. Then it's camp Hathor. First area is doable and quite easy, caves are just constant assfuck - considering that I got myself a suit of armor with decent bio resistance.
tbh Depot A is the hardest place in the game because you must face it on level 6-7. Other areas can be tackled in any order so you can just go somewhere else, explore, become stronger.
In all of my playthroughs I've never fought lunatics near GMS so soon after Depot A, it's always Core City since it gives you a lot of opportunities for xp gain.

just

Liturgist

So, as Underrail resisted my attempts to easily get on it, I guess it's time to stop fucking around and actually start researching the underlying mechanics thoroughly. Good stuff.
if something is too hard, come back later

Sjukob

Arcane

It's normal, I don't think there's a single person that has finished Underrail without restarting. Also lunatics (and humanoids in general) are one of the stronger enemies in the game, despite being placed in an early game location, the gang east of GMS is actually very dangerous. I say you need to be level 12+ to fight them efficiently. By the way, do ask for advice if you need help with building a character, Underrail is kind of a bitch to figure out on your own.

Relevant patch Notes:

Psi
  • Changed the psi empathy health reduction to 20% (down from 25%)
  • Changed the maximum number of psi slots to 8 (up from 6)
  • Changed the psi slot requirement to 2 int per slot (down from 3), and you get 2 slots for free (no requirements) (up from 1)
  • Changed the multischooling psi cost penalty to 10% (down from 15%)
  • [Expedition] Psycho-temporal contraction base psi cost changed to 50 (down from 75)
All of the changes are buffs. :lol:

Psi was been seriously sucky with the 3 int / slot and 15% penalty per extra school.
Now a Psi-grenadier going into thought-control, psychokinesis (force wall and stunners) and temporal buffs looks good. (dump metathermics in favor of throwing).

jackofshadows

Magister
It's normal, I don't think there's a single person that has finished Underrail without restarting. Also lunatics (and humanoids in general) are one of the stronger enemies in the game, despite being placed in an early game location, the gang east of GMS is actually very dangerous. I say you need to be level 12+ to fight them efficiently. By the way, do ask for advice if you need help with building a character, Underrail is kind of a bitch to figure out on your own.
Well, FWIW, I did managed to finish the game blindly when it came out but basically thanks to stealth cheese. It was an average sniper/traps/grenades build and I highly doubt that I'd go trought out DC w/o stealth. So, if Ol' Willy wanna try furher - I'd say go for it. Just ignore tough enemies and develop char how you can otherwise.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Well, FWIW, I did managed to finish the game blindly when it came out but basically thanks to stealth cheese. It was an average sniper/traps/grenades build and I highly doubt that I'd go trought out DC w/o stealth. So, if Ol' Willy wanna try furher - I'd say go for it. Just ignore tough enemies and develop char how you can otherwise.
Well, I guess I can progress further without much fuss with stealth and traps spamming, but what fun is that? I want to kill stuff, and Underrail is known to be especially good for that.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

Personally I feel a need to be able to swap on the fly during combat at least once maybe via a feat even. Just 8 powers feels overly punishing imho though better than a mere 6. I am all for reducing the power of PSI but this patch to some degree feels like a sledgehammer more so than a thoroughly fine tuned adjustment. PSI reserves should go up with levels as well imho. From 500 initially to maybe 1k at max level round about.

ciox

Liturgist
Did you ever math out knife vs light fist?
i was never much into fisting. Also completely different feats selection and playstyle, got to include ripper into calculations somehow too. So its a combination of effort included and lack of interest in playing fists anyway. Would be nice to know though.

Also I wonder what fists versatility is without access to laz0r edge, or devastating criticals that overcome enemy DT. Cutthroat overcames DT too(only humans though, DT portion is basically useful only if you keep siding against protectorate)

Expedition has a new fist build available which is amazing provided you stick mostly to the main quest, it's unarmed + shield riot gear. You don't even need Expose Weakness if you have skill. With it you will do awesomely for sure.
Basically you can use specializations to get 4 AP punches even while holding a tungsten shield, then combine Boarding Up + Combo + Shield Bash to inflict heavy damage for 0 AP cost.

https://underrail.info/build/?HggPB...GGMKpwrN4beKhkALip4IB4qe-AeK2tQLitrYD4ra-Bt-_

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Well, I guess I can progress further without much fuss with stealth and traps spamming, but what fun is that? I want to kill stuff, and Underrail is known to be especially good for that.
The lunatics east of GMS are not for a green character. Underrail is like some other games in its placement of enemies that just should not be engaged until a later level. Camp Hathor can also be tough. If you haven't done so already I'd just head for Rail Crossing or, preferably, Core City.

And as a further point, not directed towards you necessarily, I think the idea of the centrality of the build is a bit overblown. I'm on Dominating right now with a build that could certainly use a lot of tweaking, and yet I've managed to get to Level 22 without a huge amount of headache. A couple levels ago I tried to start Expedition on this character but it was a non-starter. The savages on the beach are just too much. Other than that, though, it really isn't bad at all. If I can get by with just a halfway-decent build on the hardest difficulty (a shotgun char, btw), I think anyone else can on any difficulty.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Everyone playing PSI :happytrollboy:

For real PSI was really really strong, I have no problems with some slight nerfs against it.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
In all of my playthroughs I've never fought lunatics near GMS so soon after Depot A, it's always Core City since it gives you a lot of opportunities for xp gain.
Lunatics are dead, though. It's burrowers. And the bitch is, I almost able to waste them. I killed two already, left the caves, healed, reentered, and now I able to kill three more and even leave the caves just to die from staked poison outside. With some tweaks, I recon, it will be much easier.

Parabalus

Arcane
The lunatics east of GMS are not for a green character. Underrail is like some other games in its placement of enemies that just should not be engaged until a later level. Camp Hathor can also be tough. If you haven't done so already I'd just head for Rail Crossing or, preferably, Core City.

And as a further point, not directed towards you necessarily, I think the idea of the centrality of the build is a bit overblown. I'm on Dominating right now with a build that could certainly use a lot of tweaking, and yet I've managed to get to Level 22 without a huge amount of headache. A couple levels ago I tried to start Expedition on this character but it was a non-starter. The savages on the beach are just too much. Other than that, though, it really isn't bad at all. If I can get by with just a halfway-decent build on the hardest difficulty (a shotgun char, btw), I think anyone else can on any difficulty.

Issue with that is that the builds aren't balanced between one another. E.g. pre-patch you could have a monkey allocate your points as a wizard and you'd have an easier time than an optimized xbow user.

Not that UR deserves to be Sawyered, but how difficult you perceive the game to be differs widely.

Everyone playing PSI :happytrollboy:

For real PSI was really really strong, I have no problems with some slight nerfs against it.

Can confirm the PSI part - my first run was Psychosis TC/Meta psi (0 Psychokinesis) on Hard - was a very smooth experience, except when dealing with robots. Arke was a bitch, had to stealth through with only black cloth gear.

Personally I feel a need to be able to swap on the fly during combat at least once maybe via a feat even. Just 8 powers feels overly punishing imho though better than a mere 6. I am all for reducing the power of PSI but this patch to some degree feels like a sledgehammer more so than a thoroughly fine tuned adjustment. PSI reserves should go up with levels as well imho. From 500 initially to maybe 1k at max level round about.

It makes stealth even better for PSI, which is hilarious, since with it you can drop combat and seemingly recharge.

But killing e.g. Carnifex who has 3000 HP might require it.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I think Styg should add more W2C ammo to shops. Its fine if you play as pistolero critical build, but as SMG build you just dont have enough of these, even with crafting. There's not enough spent shells too.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I think Styg should add more W2C ammo to shops. Its fine if you play as pistolero critical build, but as SMG build you just dont have enough of these, even with crafting. There's not enough spent shells too.
I can propose this thing for the next update:

Basically, a gun upgrade: during crafting, adding a bag that will collect all empty cases. I think it would fit the setting fairly well.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I can propose this thing for the next update:

Basically, a gun upgrade: during crafting, adding a bag that will collect all empty cases. I think it would fit the setting fairly well.

You already get 30% of spent shells.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Oh and getting 30 bullets out of 20kg of steel plate is just plain annoying. I have to trudge like in a molasse because i bought three steel plates, because i need that 90 bullets which i will eat in next two encounters. And then i will need more...

Just make bullets from scraps like the JHP recipe/or microshrapnel[cant remember]. And recycle plates into plenty of scraps.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well I always craft a couple of SMG calibers so I can spare 7,62 dealing with less tough enemies. Also I’m always buying bullets everywhere I go. Thus I haven’t ever faced such problem. Maybe your build isn’t SMG optimized enough?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can you aquire a jet ski without joining the expedition?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom