Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder : Agents of Pandering

Erebus

Arcane
A new Pathfinder adventure path will soon be released and... OH NO ! THE PCS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MEMBERS OF THE CITY WATCH AND THAT'S KINDA LIKE POLICEMEN AND ALL POLICEMEN ARE BAD WHAT ARE WE GONNA DOOOOO ???

We at Paizo strive to represent our company’s values of inclusivity through the content of our Pathfinder and Starfinder publications. Showcasing diversity in the stories of the cultures, races, sexualities, and gender identities of our characters is something we’ve tried to emphasize since the company’s inception 18 years ago. As we wrote in our public statement earlier this month about the Black Lives Matter movement, it’s an ongoing and vital process.

The murder of George Floyd by police and the resulting political actions, increased visibility around issues of police brutality, and ongoing conversation about the role of policing in our society casts a difficult light upon Agents of Edgewatch, our upcoming Pathfinder Adventure Path in which players take on the roles of members of the city watch in a vast fantasy metropolis. As Paizo’s publisher, I want to take this opportunity to address the situation directly.

When we began work early last year on Agents of Edgewatch, we conceived of the adventures as a pseudo-Victorian crime drama in which a party of Sherlock Holmeses would bring a cult of sinister murderers to justice against the backdrop of a World’s Fair-style celebration in Absalom, the huge city at the center of the Pathfinder world. Along the way, we’d dabble in some buddy cop movie tropes and use the players’ role as new and idealistic town guards as a framing device for a tour of the city as they attempt to thwart the evil cult’s machinations.

In our heads, this was a classic detective story, not a chance for players to act out power fantasies of being militarized police officers oppressing citizens. As publisher, I was confident that we could steer well clear of egregious parallels to modern police violence and handle the material responsibly.

But there’s more to it than that. What I hadn't realized—no doubt a result of my own privilege—is that the very concept of police, the idea of in fact taking on the role of police, makes some members of the Paizo community deeply uncomfortable, no matter how deftly we might try to pull off the execution.

tl;dr : most of our players are hypersensitive snowflakes unable to tell the difference between reality and fiction (possibly because their view of reality involves a lot of fiction). We don't really give a fuck, but we want their shekels so we're pandering to them like so many other companies.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The entire comments section is full of stuff like this:
Kudos. While this was a campaign ideas I would have loved in the past, with recent events I couldn't find myself as interested. Thanks for acknowledging the potential issues.
Very well done. Thanks
The admission of fault goes a long way to ease my concerns, as well as taking the time to give the option to not be police and methods of non-lethal capturing of criminals, but most importantly putting your money where your mouth is, thanks for all the effort it is greatly appreciated
Erik,
Thank you. Deeply, and sincerely.
I cannot imagine there is a better way to handle where you are now, and I appreciate this post, and the actions that accompany it.
Thank you.

Because you admitted that these issues were addressed by staff previously but were primarily ignored or brushed aside, what steps will you be taking to stop that from happening again in the future?
There isn't a single comment even remotely against the statement. I guess they really know their most vocal and involved audience.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Im guessing they could have purged the comment section. Or else we may even be worse off than we think.
If this is the new normal, we are all being chucked off the chain, and are in for harsh times. Established properties will go through moralistic transformations like this, and in the end be left unrecognizable.

Generic-Giant-Spider

There isn't a single comment even remotely against the statement. I guess they really know their most vocal and involved audience.

It's likely a bunch of white guys living out in cottage country that posted this shit lmao

I'm from da streetz and no nigguhz played D&D lmao

had to hide the books in closets as a kid so i'd not get found out

felt like a closet homosexual LOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom