Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

Santander02

Arcane
Crysis...Nintendo Switch

images

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
LOL at 720p docked, but the lighting changes do look good. We'll see what the downsides are on PC, as I'm sure there will be some.

SVOGI looks great in Kingdom Come so certainly don't mind the addition of it. Nice strategy by Crytek, release only Switch trailer in 720p so that nobody could see much.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
SVOGI looks great in Kingdom Come so certainly don't mind the addition of it. Nice strategy by Crytek, release only Switch trailer in 720p so that nobody could see much.

Yes, but it's not perfect. Lots of pixelation artifacts/errors pop up if you look at geometry at a weird angle.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So that is why Crysis Remastered looks so colourful, and completely oversaturated now. A Switch port, huh? Can't get any worse than the 360 version, right?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
runs at 15 fps during firefights on the switch and 10 fps the second object physics activate lol

Dat switch experience ^_^

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
runs at 15 fps during firefights on the switch and 10 fps the second object physics activate lol

Dat switch experience ^_^

Wolfenstein went down to like 360p and 20fps and everyone still praised it as a miracle port. Nintendo fanboys and people wanting bus ride games just don't seem to care.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wolfenstein went down to like 360p and 20fps and everyone still praised it as a miracle port. Nintendo fanboys and people wanting bus ride games just don't seem to care.

As they should IMO, the Switch is using a two generations old ARM SOC, you can't expect a battery powered ARM tablet to be anywhere near a full PC or console with completely different power use and needs. Even when docked it is still the same mobile-oriented hardware with all the design and power limitations that come with it. If you want to play such games on the go on a handheld you'll have to make compromises.

Though TBH i do not know why one would want to play something like Wolfenstein on a bus ride. Or a first person game in such a tiny screen... or most non-casual games for that matter, the last thing i want when playing games is all the humans, lights and noise that you'd have on a bus or metro. The only game i've ever played on the metro was tetris, back when phones still had physical buttons.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For me it's like watching movies on a phone. You can do it, but it's so compromised I'd rather just wait and do it at home. You might watch less movies, but your experience with them will be incredibly improved. Similarly if I can't play Wolfenstein with a solid framerate and visuals that match its AAA budget, I'd rather not bother. That's me though, I get that some people have lifestyles or priorities that make it different. That's why I said they won't care about the port's issues, I get that.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, wasn't this already known? IIRC Alex (i think) from Digital Foundry was saying that ever since the first videos about the game came out that it was based on the xbox/ps3 version because that one was ported to the newer CryEngine 3 that used deferred shading like the modern versions and they also had to rewrite a bunch of gameplay code to be more multicore/multithread friendly as opposed to the original one that used forward rendering and mainly relied on single thread performance. Because of that they had to change a bunch of stuff to make it work so it made sense for them to use that as a base instead of redoing the same work that was done to port from CryEngine 2 to the later version.

CryEngine 2 was basically just a PC engine written in a way that is unoptimal even for modern PCs, let alone consoles (or even the Switch), there is no way they'd use that as a base, especially when they had a newer codebase around that fixed some of the issues Crysis had with multithreading and is more compatible with the newer CryEngine.

They should have made a better work porting/reimplementing the visual effects of the original, but i do not think using the Crysis 2 codebase was ever a realistic approach.

Kainan

Learned
This being a blatant cash grab aside, Crysis is the best linear AAA FPS since F.E.A.R., even to this day (with the best FPS of the 2000s being S.T.A.L.K.E.R., although of a completely different sub genre).

The suit was great, the action was fun, the levels were varied, the graphics were revolutionary. Your enemies speaking Korean was rather original. If all linear AAA FPS games could be like Crysis, it would be great. Name a post-2007 linear FPS that is better. This is how much of an exception for the genre Crysis was, before going full retard with Crysis 2.

As for the story, it was definitely serviceable, don't tell me you weren't just a little curious what was going on or at least a little surprised when shit hit the fan with the full-scale alien invasion.
Crysis was good but it was worse than FC1 in every way except gfx.

The worst part were the aliens.

In FC the mutants were hyped throughout the game in a goofy way with overhearing mercenaries, but when you met them they were actually scary.

In Crysis your Delta Force buddies shit their pants like the aliens are worse than Predator and Alien combined, but when you meet them they are lame and pathetic.

The music was also kind of lame, with patriotic trumpets that seem like they are supposed to make you cry.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I remember the flying mission being annoying and not fitting the game, so I wouldn't be sad to see that go. Missing trees and effects, I bet they put those back in, but we'll see. I do think the lighting looks better overall.

I'm more worried about console focused gameplay changes. The UI, for example. Also I saw the Switch remaster has sprint being suit powered only, which throws off game balance a good bit. There's probably other console changes that will annoy too, that I don't know about.

Kainan

Learned
FC1 has better AI, levels, guns, sound/music and mutants/aliens.
Crysis has better gfx.

FC is also just too hard for modern kids, and they cant pass the first base with the watchtower. I have seen this many times.
Crysis is also good and a PC game. But FC still shits over it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The AI is braindead. If by good you mean it can aimbot you from miles away once they spot you, then that's not good AI. On the other hand they have no clue how to react if you are the one doing the sniping, and will just stand in place or run to you in a straight line. So the game is about positioning yourself just so that you can sit there and mow down the enemies. Crysis AI isn't brilliant either but at least the enemies could take cover and flank to where it encouraged the player to move around.

Level design? No. People seem to forget how much time you spend in boring interiors, peeking around corners to shoot enemies before they can snap around and lock onto you. Or baiting them around a corner to shoot them. In the exterior environments it's mostly about just sniping enemies from far away before they can react. It's basically pop a mole, to where it encourages the player to do nothing but peak and abuse the dumb AI. The way the exterior locations in Crysis were set up encouraged the player to start from far away then close the distance etc, lots of moving around so combat felt pretty energetic. FC1 is combat is dull as shit.

The mutants look stupid and most of them are super easy to kill, running blindly towards you like canon fodder. But then you get the giant mutants who snipe you with rocket launchers, so again it's back to peeking and trying to shoot them before they are aware of you. The aliens in Crysis are dramatically different to the human enemies, so it forces you to change play-style instead of just being human enemies with a different skin.

I was honestly shocked at how shitty FC1 was when I played it last year or so. Had to struggle to get through it not because of difficulty but because of how tedious and pointless it felt. That's not even getting into the god awful forced vehicle sections.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the other hand they have no clue how to react if you are the one doing the sniping, and will just stand in place or run to you in a straight line.

I remember I was sniping bandits at night in a stalker mod I was playing one time, and they reacted by turning off their head lamps and spreading out making themselves much harder targets. I was quite impressed.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So now Psycho is portraying Prophet as well, using blackface? Very progressive, Crytek.

The music was also kind of lame, with patriotic trumpets that seem like they are supposed to make you cry.
Crysis has really good music - the patriotic elements (trumpets etc.) mixed with the flutes and such really sells the idea of US forces raising hell on some jungle island.

It's also very good technically - the music is dynamic and layered, meaning it reacts to what's happening in the game and increases in intensity when the action increases.
Compare this to Half-Life 2 Episode 2, released in the same year, where the bombastic music track (while good) continues even after all enemies are dead and then jarringly just stops when the player hits the next loading screen.

schru

Arcane
Actually, Episode Two was the first Half-Life to have music fade-outs if it was still playing when the player was exiting the level rather than to have a sharp cut-off. There were also fade-outs dependent on when a combat sequence would end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom