Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is D&D 5th Edition shit?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course, you pay for it with a lack of depth in... well, in pretty much everything, really.
That's not true, you still have multiclassing and feats, along with combat options like dodge, disengage, dash, grapple, etc. The spells are the same they have ever been. What has been removed is the endless bonuses to attack rolls, AC, and damage. The only thing I can think of which can be said to "lack depth" is the non-absurd amount of classes and the lack of prestige classes. There was never any depth to the gameplay with them, it was all math to figure out how to get the highest stacking bonuses, which don't exist anymore in that form. I'm all ears about what people think is "less depth". I'm also not convinced about the value of prestige classes.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really like munchkinning in 5e actually, more than I like munchkinning in Pathfinder. If you build a really strong character in a 3.5 adjacent rules system like PF you end up with a demigod who isnt even on the same plane of existance as a regular player character from the average player, sometimes literally. That is nice for PC gaming, but cancer for actual in person tabletop. When you minmax in 5e the power of the character only raises by a tiny amount, but the flexibility and utility explodes. Noone is gonna throw a hissy fit over me bringing a Life Cleric/Dream (or moon) Druid to the table for example.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are rules covering loss of magical power of any kind on 5e? IE - A Lawful Good cleric who ends up sleeping with a succubus and making a pact with a Chaotic Evil Demon would become a "clerilock", learning magic from a CE demon and drawing power from a LG deity? I know that is the most extreme example and that the DM can revoke the power of the cleric independent of the RAW. I an just asking. Because 2e detailed a lot how magic works and I love it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are rules covering loss of magical power of any kind on 5e? IE - A Lawful Good cleric who ends up sleeping with a succubus and making a pact with a Chaotic Evil Demon would become a "clerilock", learning magic from a CE demon and drawing power from a LG deity? I know that is the most extreme example and that the DM can revoke the power of the cleric independent of the RAW. I an just asking. Because 2e detailed a lot how magic works and I love it.

No hard rules, but the text for Oathbreaker Paladins and Domain of Death clerics and other comparable "evil" subclasses heavily implies you should use those for fallen characters. So the DM is supposed to change your subclass and in extreme cases class in 5e rather than revoke your powers.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not true, you still have multiclassing and feats, along with combat options like dodge, disengage, dash, grapple, et
Yeah... multiclassing of classes that barely offer choices.
Every class basically has three paths, and that's it. The paths determine so hard what you are supposed to do with them, not following this is just not something that happens.

You can still wildly combine classes, of course, but that particular absurdity is indeed something that always was in DnD since 3.
Really just a showcase of how inane class-based systems can be and why classless systems are generally superior.
"Hey, look at my 1Rogue/2Fighter/4Barb/2Bard/10Wizard character!" - just stop and think about that for a moment. If you cannot see anything wrong with that picture, I can't help you...

Feats are barely there anymore, really. In 3.5, feats (at least some of them) could completely turn a build around, that's not the case anymore.
Just look at Finesse, a feat that completely changes your build and allows some crazy stuff. Oh, right - it doesn't exist in 5E.

What has been removed is the endless bonuses to attack rolls, AC, and damage.
That's called simulation. Believe it or not, but yes, many numbers, bonuses, maluses, etc. for different situations is called depth.
Except if you want to tell me that a hardcore warsim does not have more depth than pew-pew-Command&Conquer-style games.

There is absolutely no nuance in anything in combat in 5E.
You either have advantage, in which case you might as well not throw the dice because you'll just win anyway.
Or disadvantage, in which case you might as well not throw the dice because you'll just lose anyway.
Or neither, in which case it actually makes sense to roll the dice. Of course, that barely happens as it is so super easy to put yourself into a situation of advantage - and likewise, you can do little to prevent disadvantage.
Just look at how crazy OP poison has become. It basically removes a character from combat while it lasts by giving the character disadvantage on pretty much anything.

That makes combat an incredibly odd thing where you don't think about what would make sense in the situation strategically or realistically (within the setting), but instead you think about where you can get that advantage best - if you even do need to think about that. Because of the holy duality of advantage/disadvantage, which doesn't simulate anything sufficiently and instead is just extremely gamey.
Coincidentally, that makes it a pretty good candidate for (non-simulation) PC games, so that's at least something.

. There was never any depth to the gameplay with them, it was all math to figure out how to get the highest stacking bonuses
The fuck are you even on about? Math IS depth.
It gave you something to think about, how to best achieve where you want to go with your character. That is called depth.

It also gave you the option to fail at that, which is absolutely vital to achieve depth as well.
Try and build a character that sucks in 5E - even dumping your primary stats won't really achieve that since advantage/disadvantage doesn't come from attributes (in most situations, anyway).

Meanwhile in 5E...
When you minmax in 5e the power of the character only raises by a tiny amount, but the flexibility and utility explodes. Noone is gonna throw a hissy fit over me bringing a Life Cleric/Dream (or moon) Druid to the table for example.
No real gain or loss of power, you just become more or less of a jack of all trades.
Q.E.D.

Elex

Arbiter
RPG codex “In D&D fighters only have attack!”

meanwhile the battlemaster in 5e PHB:

The maneuvers are presented in alphabetical order.

Commander's Strike.
When you take the Attackaction on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and use a bonus action to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you and expend one superiority die. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Disarming Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Distracting Strike.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

Evasive Footwork.
When you move, you can expend one superiority die, rolling the die and adding the number rolled to your AC until you stop moving.

Feinting Attack.
You can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action on your turn to feint, choosing one creature within 5 feet of you as your target. You have advantage on your next attack roll this turn against that creature. If that attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

The advantage is lost if not used on the turn you gain it.

Goading Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to goad the target into attacking you. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you until the end of your next turn.

Lunging Attack.
When you make a melee weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die to increase your reach for that attack by 5 feet. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Maneuvering Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to maneuver one of your comrades into a more advantageous position. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and you choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature can use its reaction to move up to half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the target of your attack.

Menacing Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to frighten the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Parry.
When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die + your Dexterity modifier.

Precision Attack.
When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Pushing Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to drive the target back. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you push the target up to 15 feet away from you.

Rally.
On your turn, you can use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to bolster the resolve of one of your companions. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature gains temporary hit points equal to the superiority die roll + your Charisma modifier.

Riposte.
When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Sweeping Attack.
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to damage another creature with the same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach. If the original attack roll would hit the second creature, it takes damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die. The damage is of the same type dealt by the original attack.

Trip Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to knock the target down. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Commander's Strike.
When you take the Attackaction on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and use a bonus action to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you and expend one superiority die. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Disarming Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Distracting Strike.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

Evasive Footwork.
When you move, you can expend one superiority die, rolling the die and adding the number rolled to your AC until you stop moving.

Feinting Attack.
You can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action on your turn to feint, choosing one creature within 5 feet of you as your target. You have advantage on your next attack roll this turn against that creature. If that attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Goading Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to goad the target into attacking you. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you until the end of your next turn.

Lunging Attack.
When you make a melee weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die to increase your reach for that attack by 5 feet. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Maneuvering Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to maneuver one of your comrades into a more advantageous position. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and you choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature can use its reaction to move up to half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the target of your attack.

Menacing Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to frighten the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Parry.
When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die + your Dexterity modifier.

Precision Attack.
When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Pushing Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to drive the target back. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you push the target up to 15 feet away from you.

Rally.
On your turn, you can use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to bolster the resolve of one of your companions. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature gains temporary hit points equal to the superiority die roll + your Charisma modifier.

Riposte.
When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Sweeping Attack.
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to damage another creature with the same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach. If the original attack roll would hit the second creature, it takes damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die. The damage is of the same type dealt by the original attack.

Trip Attack.
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to knock the target down. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.
Who claimed that fighters can only attack in D&D?
They always had more options.

It's just in many video games (especially BG) that these options were removed.
Also, at least in my experience, fighter players tend to forget about their options and mostly just go smash even if it wouldn't be the best idea.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
thesheeep , your whole point is that math = depth, with which I strongly disagree. Having spreadsheets and formulas doesn't necessarily make for a good game. Quite the contrary, PnP gets bogged down with constant math and it doesn't give you more gameplay options. Multiclassing in 5E is actually much more significant gameplay-wise than in 3.5E, in which multi-classing is expected and encouraged.

Rolling with advantage or disadvantage doesn't make you automatically succeed or fail, have you even played 5E?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My experience with 5e is that it's a great system for getting new people into tabletop gaming. Me and my friends group have used it with quite a few people as a "gateway drug" to get them into Pathfinder and 3.5.

I do quite like a few of the ideas, bounded accuracy makes it a lot easier to design encounters with the squished numbers.

I don't think it's a good system for people who enjoy more complex character development.

Irony is Pathfinder second edition is a weird mix of 3.5, 4e and 5e.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I do agree character options are a bit limited, but that can easily be fixed by introducing more feats. Since you don't have any limitation to multi-classing, most of the options are still there.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Balancefag - "no, this is a anime BS. I wanna every class with only a basic attack!!! I have fun autoattacking for 666 hours, so everyone needs to have fun in the same way!!!"
You do fucking realise that swinging a weapon is not always the only option right? Such arcane things as using the environment and being creative and what not.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do agree character options are a bit limited, but that can easily be fixed by introducing more feats. Since you don't have any limitation to multi-classing, most of the options are still there.

It probably varies a lot on what your groups like. Most of the people I play Pathfinder with like to spend hours discussing their level ups on Discord choosing feats and spells etc.

I would guess a lot of the people who prefer 5e like the faster/simpler level up process.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Commander's Strike.

Disarming Attack.

Distracting Strike.

Evasive Footwork.

Feinting Attack.

Goading Attack.

Lunging Attack.

Maneuvering Attack.

Menacing Attack.

Parry.

Precision Attack.

Pushing Attack.

Rally.

Riposte.

Sweeping Attack.

Trip Attack.
Who claimed that fighters can only attack in D&D?
They always had more options.

It's just in many video games (especially BG) that these options were removed.
Also, at least in my experience, fighter players tend to forget aboute their options and mostly just go smash even if it wouldn't be the best idea.
TOEE did those options well. But maybe it's because those mechanics (iirc from 3e: 5-step moves, positioning for AOO, grappling, charging, etc.) don't translate to real-time that well. That may be an understatement.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Rolling with advantage or disadvantage doesn't make you automatically succeed or fail, have you even played 5E?
Yes, a few months.
And, obviously, I was exaggerating.

Advantage lets you roll two dice and you get to pick the better one - disadvantage makes you pick the worse one.
Just do the maths - in the vast majority of cases, advantage rolls will succeed and in the vast majority of cases, disadvantage rolls will fail.
I don't have the exact numbers in my head right now, but the chance to roll a 10 or more with advantage was about 80%. Pretty close to automatic success if you ask me (bearing in mind you do get bonuses from proficiency, etc.). Also doubles your chance for a crit.

I do assume that is somewhat offset at much later levels (where your DCs will be more than just 10 or 15 to begin with), though then you'd also receive higher proficiency bonuses, etc. but with what I played (under lvl 10), advantages were pretty much automatic successes in practice.
And I really don't think PnP should be that easy, not even (or especially not? hmmm) at low levels.

It was just way too much all-or-nothing for me, with chars with advantage steamrolling, while chars who got disadvantages (e.g. poison) being pretty much out of the picture.
This more puzzle-like nature of combat I can deal with in video games, but in PnP, I want the rules to reflect the actual situation and not abstract so much that you might as well ditch the rules entirely.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

It probably varies a lot on what your groups like. Most of the people I play Pathfinder with like to spend hours discussing their level ups on Discord choosing feats and spells etc.

I would guess a lot of the people who prefer 5e like the faster/simpler level up process.
Absolutely my experience with the player base for 5E (at least online).
Most seem to be in it mostly for the narrative part and get annoyed super quickly if they have to use that space between their ears for more than a second to determine what their bonus to a roll is - even if it is literally just a single number written on their online sheet at all times :lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you don't like advantage or disadvantage, just add or substract a number you think is appropriate. I like it because events and the environment feel significant.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About melee "maneuvers" not being in RtWP games, NWN1 had disarm, knockdown and other things HOWEVER, the idea that a monk needs to take a feet to know how to disarm a opponent is just silly IMO. This options exists on 5e?

As for advantage/disadvantage, something easy with advantage becomes exponentially easier and something harder with disadvantage becomes exponentially harder. On pathfinder 1e, Witches had a Hex called misfortune. One of the nastier Hexes ever. It basically force the target to make a save by rolling twice and picking the worst result.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
As for advantage/disadvantage, something easy with advantage becomes exponentially easier and something harder with disadvantage becomes exponentially harder. On pathfinder 1e, Witches had a Hex called misfortune. One of the nastier Hexes ever. It basically force the target to make a save by rolling twice and picking the worst result.

Yep the cackle/misfortune combo. Also known as the 'skip the save, just plain suck' combo.

Scarred Witchdoctor was even more OP before they errata'd it into oblivion.

Elex

Arbiter
Advantage/disadvantage in math is between 2-3 if used as a passivethe rule say +\- 5

it can appear as something simplified but in fact is only the “base” rule.

because on top of advantage you can add stuff like elven accuracy, lucky feat and similar capacity that allow rerolls or add stuff, like bardic inspiration, bless, ect ect....

5e “lack of option” simply comes from the slow rate of new releases.

A new book with new feats and subclasses is supposed to be released this year: so they release a book focussed on more player options every 2-3 years not every 2-3 months.

this is the last beta testing stuff they released: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_Feats.pdf

More feats

it’s clear that 5e is an anti bloat edition, but they still add more stuff year after year.

Wotc is going sloooow: but 5e use a SRD and that meand third party are pubblishing tons and tons of stuff.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
it’s clear that 5e is an anti bloat edition, but they still add more stuff year after year.

Every edition starts as anti-bloat. Pathfinder was supposed to be less bloated than 3.5.

It's pretty inevitable as more and more stuff gets released.

One thing that AD&D got right was having different experience levels to level up based on class. While I understand the desire to homogenize experience tables, the consequence is that it has put a great deal of pressure on homogenizing the classes as well. You can see this in 4E and 5E. I'm not even saying that the progression rates in AD&D were correct, but the concept was correct. By controlling access to the tiers of magic through this experience differential, it provided a meaningful counter-balance to casters and non-casters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The TSR editions has way less bloat than any WoTC editions, because TSR realized that you don't need to give survivability to survive another heavy crossbow shot each lv up.

-------------------------

One thing that AD&D got right was having different experience levels to level up based on class. While I understand the desire to homogenize experience tables, the consequence is that it has put a great deal of pressure on homogenizing the classes as well.

Not only that. Did you played Dark Sun? I never played TT Dark Sun however, loved both computer versions of Sun. Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager and believe that the game is faithful to P&P(not sure)

On Dark Sun arcane magic is viewed with despise and practitioners hated like in a forum full of balance cultists. Since is a world abandoned by the Gods, the arcane magic ends up interfering with the lifeforce of the planet. There are are two types of arcane casters on Dark Sun. The preservers which uses the magic in harmony but takes a insane long time to master and the defiler which don't care about the dying planet. Preservers progress in the game with the same rate as wizard AND getting scrolls is like 10x more expensive. Defilers get level fast as a thief but everyone hates defilers. Psionics are far more common in Athas than arcane magic. Even a house pet can have some psionic power in Athas. Pathfinder 1e had the category Intuitive | Self-Taught | Trained depending the class but they din't Incorporated different XP tables.

For me, certain classes taking more time to level up makes sense for a gameplay perspective and for lore perspective. Becoming a "archmage" should take way more time than becoming a "master thief"

--------------------

Talking about 5e, considering the controversy "orcs are a racist caricature", do you think that we could have a 5e Dark Sun? There are psionics on 5e?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom