Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, interesting question now is to what degree this game will be inspired by PoE's character system. Will it be strictly class-based? That would be a way to distinguish it from The Elder Scrolls, but people might not like it.

They might open up the "classes" a bit somewhat similiarly to how classes were in pre-Skyrim TES games, without losing the class' point.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So, interesting question now is to what degree this game will be inspired by PoE's character system. Will it be strictly class-based? That would be a way to distinguish it from The Elder Scrolls, but people might not like it.
Unless this is a party-based/Coop game, classes don't make much sense if there's only one playable character.
It’s first person just like the Bethesda games. I am not expecting the party or class system to carry over which is a shame. Obsidian should have differentiated between TOW as their Bethesda type game and Avowed as their Bioware type game with a focus on the party and classes. But all they want to do is keep chasing New Vegas and Bethesda.

Plenty of dev studios get by with making the same game over and over again. Just look at Piranha Bytes. :smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Toned-down art-style, realistic equipment and firearms will be gone, because by Sawyer's estimation these killed Deadfire.

So basically all the stuff that made Deadfire interesting (it was still meh because of a shit main story though) is going to be tossed out the window and we'll be left with generic fantasy game #5486713647 which is indistinguishable from all the other generic fantasy games on the market?

Wow super cool I'm so excited already can't wait to play yet another rehash of the same thing I've already played 30 times before.

I don't know about the art style and "realism" (it doesn't seem that radically different to me in the trailer) but assuming the game will have no firearms seems hasty. People might have found guns in their fantasy isometric game to be weird, but first person shooters are a popular genre. Putting in guns would be another way to set the game apart from The Elder Scrolls.

I really, really hope they keep the firearms, because then I'll be at least mildly interested.

Matchlock firearms were the only redeeming factor about the PoE setting.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What in the actual fuck. Those are sweeping changes to the formula alrighty.
Well wether this is wank or not Obsidian using their new sponsorship bux for an Elder Scrolls clone is good. Competition breeds advancement, and Bethesda has been mistreating their licenses badly lately.
Maybe a kick in the teeth from Obsidian will wake them up, or maybe this ends up being a much better game than POE. In any way an interesting development.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Isn't Skyrim the game that sold the most? If so, it is logical that every dev tries to emulate it. It is all about that fat juicy US dollar paper.

I'm pretty sure GTAV sold and sells a lot more than Skyrim.. That shit stills tops the sales chart to this day.

On the playstation yes. But on pc it is The Sims, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Half Life and Skyrim that rule the world.

Terenty

Liturgist
I hope the main writers are Katrin Dollarsomething and Megan Stark, they wrote the masterpiece that is Outer Worlds after all

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
On the playstation yes. But on pc it is The Sims, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Half Life and Skyrim that rule the world.

Actually it seems it's PUBG then Minecraft. Then Diablo 3. In most source that i looked , Skryim is not even top 10.

I guess console people really dig Skyrim.

tripedal

Savant
I predict it's going to be mediocre, get decent reviews, and sell well. Which I suppose is a kind of improvement over Deadfire which was mediocre and yet didn't sell at all.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I find myself unable to actual parse the meaning of the trailer's voice over. It's like it was written by AI Dungeon 2. "Is an oath ... worth the weight ... of a crown?" What does that mean? Is it worth it to keep an oath if the consequence is that you'll becoming king?

"Now our oaths are lost, forsaken. And you must face the monsters our sins have born." Eh?

The faux Bridge of Khazad Dum also is kind of sad.

But we might get to see Obsidian sue WEG and force them to change the name of Unavowed 2, so there could be some goofiness before all is said and done.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
History repeats itself. It's like a Fallout 3 move.

True. But at least it isn't destroying a long standing series legacy by misinterpreting and misunderstanding absolutely everything the series held high. ...well, that point might still change, but I don't really care about PoE that much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find myself unable to actual parse the meaning of the trailer's voice over. It's like it was written by AI Dungeon 2. "Is an oath ... worth the weight ... of a crown?" What does that mean? Is it worth it to keep an oath if the consequence is that you'll becoming king?

"Now our oaths are lost, forsaken. And you must face the monsters our sins have born." Eh?

The faux Bridge of Khazad Dum also is kind of sad.

But we might get to see Obsidian sue WEG and force them to change the name of Unavowed 2, so there could be some goofiness before all is said and done.

To be fair the mention of oaths isn't random fantasy talk. The game appears to be set in Aedyr, whose patron goddess Woedica deals with such things.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Mentions of oaths isn't the problem. I just can't actually figure out what they mean. Like, just denotatively, what does it mean to say "is an oath worth the weight of a crown"? The only meaning I can come to is, "If keeping your oath means you'll have to be king, would you still keep your oath?" Which seems like a fairly silly framing, since two seconds earlier the video praised war for "turning heroes into kings and queens."

Quillon

Arcane
It might have worked if they actually had an interesting setting. But nope. It's the generic middle of the road setting they made for Pillars. People told them twice now that the setting was boring but Fergus thought he knew better I guess.

Eora isn't worse than Thedas/Tamriel/generic high fantasy setting #45 etc. The games' being boring have little to do with the setting imo.

But Aedyr is as generic as they can get in the setting :P

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They should have named it "Landstorm: A Microsoft-Exclusive Role-Playing Game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom