Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Is this a big problem though?
STALKER(s) maps were pretty big and resembled, e.g., Gothic approach (so, open world but limited. Or "open maps" so to speak).

Would STALKER(s) suffered much if all the maps were actually connected into one seamless world?
I don't think so.

It's not about the open world itself, but what them trying to sell it as open world game tells us about their priorities.

A game for console tards.

:0-13:

schru

Arcane
There are a few more renders and pieces of concept art on the official site, along with some music: https://www.stalker2.com/

Where's the confirmation of A-Life 2.0? Without it, it's just another shooter to me.
Both monsters and factions that inhabit the Zone are constantly interacting with each other. The previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games introduced A-Life — a living world simulating system. The reimagined version of this system, which we call A-Life 2.0, will control the state of the world and the behavior of characters and mutants, making the Zone ever-changing and truly alive. Countless events and encounters will happen every moment — even if you are not around to witness them with your own eyes.

With S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, we want every player to have a unique playthrough. It will take much more than just A-Life 2.0 to do that, as you are the author of your story. Putting aside the scale, the decisions you make will cause not only short-term outcomes, but influence the world itself. We are crafting an epic, branching story culminating in lots of different endings. You’ll have to make tough choices regularly — and be brave enough to face the consequences.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/23/stalker-2-is-coming-to-xbox-series-x/

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Is this a big problem though?
STALKER(s) maps were pretty big and resembled, e.g., Gothic approach (so, open world but limited. Or "open maps" so to speak).

Would STALKER(s) suffered much if all the maps were actually connected into one seamless world?
I don't think so.

It's not about the open world itself, but what them trying to sell it as open world game tells us about their priorities.

A game for console tards.

:0-13:
I understand your pessimism given the gaming industry track record of the last decade. But really, there is no indication (yet!) that they want to go Oblivion route.

To be honest, STALKER series is the only example I can think of, where famously rubbish saying :lol: "there was no technical possibilities back then to make the game open-world, bbbbut we TOTALLY always wanted it that way!" may actually hold true.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved Shadow of Chernobyl, but it was only a shadow of Oblivion lost. The amount of not delivered promises was more than any other in games. Huge open world, very intelligent AI and a decent vehicles (at the time it was really new, only ArmA 3 delivered it in a shooter) were one of the largest disappointments (world divided into small parts, AI was meh, and no vehicles at all).

Therefore I shall hold my horses before being hyped for Stalker 2. Especially since the other two stalker games were meh.

ADL

Prophet
There are a few more renders and pieces of concept art on the official site, along with some music: https://www.stalker2.com/

Where's the confirmation of A-Life 2.0? Without it, it's just another shooter to me.
Both monsters and factions that inhabit the Zone are constantly interacting with each other. The previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games introduced A-Life — a living world simulating system. The reimagined version of this system, which we call A-Life 2.0, will control the state of the world and the behavior of characters and mutants, making the Zone ever-changing and truly alive. Countless events and encounters will happen every moment — even if you are not around to witness them with your own eyes.

With S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, we want every player to have a unique playthrough. It will take much more than just A-Life 2.0 to do that, as you are the author of your story. Putting aside the scale, the decisions you make will cause not only short-term outcomes, but influence the world itself. We are crafting an epic, branching story culminating in lots of different endings. You’ll have to make tough choices regularly — and be brave enough to face the consequences.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/23/stalker-2-is-coming-to-xbox-series-x/

Sounds like
incline.png
back on my radar very nice

Zer0wing

Cipher
You know what's the worst part of all this? There's no mention of mod support anywhere in there.
That's because it's an UE4 title. And it's the most common worst kind of UE4 title. Default rendering system is unsuitable for anything near STALKER. Every material looks like plastic, glossy and shining. It is the antithesis to first STALKERs.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what's the worst part of all this? There's no mention of mod support anywhere in there.
That's because it's an UE4 title. And it's the most common worst kind of UE4 title. Default rendering system is unsuitable for anything near STALKER. Every material looks like plastic, glossy and shining. It is the antithesis to first STALKERs.

It actually says they're "fully committed to making modding as simple as possible on day one" on their FAQ. Whether they can actually pull that off is another matter entirely.

https://www.stalker2.com/lang/faq_en.html

I don't think I've seen a single UE4 game with good modding capabilities.

schru

Arcane
Well, if we get into that, it's worth noting that according to the FAQ the graphics and atmosphere in the trailer are also something they for the time being aspire to have in the actual game:

DOES THE TRAILER FEATURE THE IN-GAME GRAPHICS?

THE TRAILER DEMONSTRATES THE LEVEL OF GRAPHICS AND ATMOSPHERE WE ARE AIMING TO ACHIEVE ON RELEASE.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Epic now officially supports modding for their engine!
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/new-example-project-and-plugin-for-mod-support-released

Cassar

Savant
I loved Shadow of Chernobyl, but it was only a shadow of Oblivion lost. The amount of not delivered promises was more than any other in games. Huge open world, very intelligent AI and a decent vehicles (at the time it was really new, only ArmA 3 delivered it in a shooter) were one of the largest disappointments (world divided into small parts, AI was meh, and no vehicles at all).

Therefore I shall hold my horses before being hyped for Stalker 2. Especially since the other two stalker games were meh.

The technology and maybe their skill wasnt there at the time. They indeed wanted to make the game to end all games. The ultimate game. But it wasnt feasible at the time and in a reasonable timeframe. Stuff had to be cut, otherwise the game would never have come out. They were shooting for the moon, but the tech, manpower or money wasnt there. Its not a reason to be dissapointed. The trilogy is one of the crowning achievements in pc gaming. The other 2 games werent meh. Pripyat is a beacon of gamedesign in a sea of shit. Its so exceptional that when you look at it, nearly every complaint people have for modern open worlds is resolved in Call of Pripyat. From traversal to world layout, to activities.

The single greatest issue with this Stalker 2 here is its a multiplatform game. A game with gameplay designed for 2 sticks and four face buttons. With layers over layers of assists in every category. The simple fact that its a console game dooms it from the start

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It actually says they're "fully committed to making modding as simple as possible on day one" on their FAQ.
Every single such promise ends up unfulfilled.
You should listen to Konjad about it. Shadows of Chernobyl was just a shell of what was promised. Yet, 15 years after release, it is considered a classic.

As with everything in Ukraine, you may get this:
upload_2020-7-23_23-39-11.jpeg
but you may also end up with this:
upload_2020-7-23_23-40-38.jpeg

Zer0wing

Cipher
You should listen to Konjad about it. Shadows of Chernobyl was just a shell of what was promised. Yet, 15 years after release, it is considered a classic.
It was a commentary about UE4 games not having modding tools despite the promises, not Shadow of Chernobyl or S2 FAQ. Of which a lot was restored precisely because of free and available modding tools. Making your own engine makes it easier to deliver mod tools, who knew! (don't tell that to CDPR tho)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom