Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not sure why everyone is assuming that it's going to be a TES competitor. I doubt Microsoft is going to dump the amount of money needed to make such a project on Obsidian. It's likely going to be of a much smaller game, like TOW. Probably be closer to something like Arx Fatalis in scale. Anyway, it's just another fantasy RPG. I have no further interest in this. I'll keep my eye out for all the juicy butthurt that always follows an Obsidian release, but that's as far as my interest here goes.

Because they said so, multiple times. Feargus even introduced it as their new *big rpg* right before the trailer.

"Because Feargus said it" lmao

Duraframe300

Arcane
Not sure why everyone is assuming that it's going to be a TES competitor. I doubt Microsoft is going to dump the amount of money needed to make such a project on Obsidian. It's likely going to be of a much smaller game, like TOW. Probably be closer to something like Arx Fatalis in scale. Anyway, it's just another fantasy RPG. I have no further interest in this. I'll keep my eye out for all the juicy butthurt that always follows an Obsidian release, but that's as far as my interest here goes.

Because they said so, multiple times. Feargus even introduced it as their new *big rpg* right before the trailer.

Uhm yes? It's not just that. We've known about this project for a while, we know about the status it has as Obsidian's *big game* and we even knew that its going to be a Skyrim Clone. Not that I know the exact budget, but every other project Obsidian has, has lesser status/budget than this one.

Mentions of oaths isn't the problem. I just can't actually figure out what they mean. Like, just denotatively, what does it mean to say "is an oath worth the weight of a crown"? The only meaning I can come to is, "If keeping your oath means you'll have to be king, would you still keep your oath?" Which seems like a fairly silly framing, since two seconds earlier the video praised war for "turning heroes into kings and queens."

My guess is that to become a king you need to take a horrible oath. Like : "you can become king, but you have to eat only stale bread and water for the rest of your life. If only once the bread you eat won't be stale enough, then you break the oath and lose your kingdom. This is how magic of oaths works here, stranger"

I think that the writer was shitty and "oath" and "crown" should reverse places in the sentence.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
One thing I will applaud is them sticking to Eora as their setting of choice.

But alas, I'm an actual fan of the two games, and therefore wrong by default.

Zer0wing

Cipher
This is going to be the next Fallout 3 but for PoE fanbase. The writing in the trailer is already up to snuff.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Uhm yes? It's not just that. We've known about this project for a while, we know about the status it has as Obsidian's *big game* and we even knew that its going to be a Skyrim Clone. Not that I know the exact budget, but every other project Obsidian has, has lesser status/budget than this one.
Big game by what metric? Obsidians our ours? What do they mean by big? Scope of the game, or just the budget for higher quality art assets and better marketing and Q&A? And to repeat myself again: Microsoft isn't going to start dumping magical piles of money on Obsidian just because they own them. They don't have a proven track record of being a huge house hold name like Bethesda. I think it's way too premature to start assuming that it's a proper TES competitor, especially if a shyster like Feargus himself is the one making these claims.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is going to be the next Fallout 3 but for PoE fanbase. The writing in the trailer is already up to snuff.

But it's not called Pillars of Eternity 3, or even Pillars of Eternity: Spinoff.

Makes you wonder how Fallout 3 would have been received and what its reputation would have been today if it had done the same thing.

Zer0wing

Cipher
But it's not called Pillars of Eternity 3, or even Pillars of Eternity: Spinoff.
Not named but still meant to be one.
Makes you wonder how Fallout 3 would have been received and what its reputation would have been today if it had done the same thing.
Same as FO:BOS (does anyone remember this turd?) for PS2/XBOX I guess? Universal utter disgust that was. Even moreso than Fallout 3.
Same ill fate for this AWOO title if nu-Obsidian stays true to themselves.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I can't say the trailer reveals a lot but this might just be the definition of meh

From the makers of The Outer Turds™, South Park: Dick of Truth™, Upcoming Honey I Shrunk The Kids Clone™, and the company who fired Master Chris Avellone well over 4 years before he was formally accused of bad romance, now comes a new role playing epic in the vein of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Avowed. Join us on a journey to the fantastical world of Eora, where NPCs have Kickstarter dialogue, vampires are fampyrs, kobolds are xaurips, and you are a dumbass. Wield a sword in one hand and a spell in the other, because that is the best way to guarantee that the combat will have zero depth but enough spamming to compete against Bethesda's best. 4 mouse clicks and you will have landed 2 sword attacks, 2 fireballs, and one shout at the dragon facing you (who is also incidentally your father). The simple combat system will leave you with more time to admire your companions, who aside from having deep background stories, deeper pool of genders, yet deeper pool of cross and intra-gender relationship options, and yet deeper still quest-lines should you choose the wrong gender approach to their current gender mindset, also come with advanced BrilliantAI™, which will let them wear pots on their heads dynamically, as they travel around.

We feel like modern RPGs have turned away from their glorious past and the central role of the protagonist. Now you feel like a mere cog in the machine in games like Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance, so in Avowed, we avow that your character will be truly special. Every NPC in the game will end every dialogue wheel option with "Master of the Universe, Queen of Dragonborn, first of xir gender". All the quests will allow you to impose your will and footprint on the world of Eora. Gone are the days where an early RPG hero would clear basements of rats, in Avowed your 4 hour long tutorial quest will force you to select the reigning King of Eoras's largest nation, Sawyeria.

We are also well aware that Obsidian's reputation has always rested on the laurels of choice and consequence, and with Avowed, we avow to push the envelope in this direction as well. Every quest will have multiple solutions, and every solution will be internally analyzed by our proprietary Justice™ Engine and given a score of 0 to 10 on the spectrum of social justice. Solutions ranked below 8 will cause your character to lose experience, while those below 6 will results in your companions leaving you. Scores of below 4 will results in Justice™ Engine scanning your computer for personal information and posting it on the appropriate Twitter antifa feed.

9 years ago, Skyrim changed the game with its accessible gameplay and the wonder of being a man-dragon. Now, the journey continues with the next epic open world RPG, where you can be a dragon of various genders and the game is so accessible, your grandma could play it with with both legs tied behind her ears. Go avow yourself, friend, for the future of gaming is upon us!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's probably just a sidedish to get people interested in Sawyer's Pillars of Eternity 3, which is going to be a tabletop game.

Didn't Sawyer say that he's creatively bankrupt (was that the word?) after PoE2 and more recently that he's unmotivated to work on his tabletop game?

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not named but still meant to be one.

But if a first-person D&D action-RPG comes out tomorrow, nobody's going to think that's really meant to be Icewind Dale 3. (Would have said Baldur's Gate 3 but Larian has complicated that)

Yes, these things are different, but that's another way of looking at it.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mentions of oaths isn't the problem. I just can't actually figure out what they mean. Like, just denotatively, what does it mean to say "is an oath worth the weight of a crown"? The only meaning I can come to is, "If keeping your oath means you'll have to be king, would you still keep your oath?" Which seems like a fairly silly framing, since two seconds earlier the video praised war for "turning heroes into kings and queens."

My guess is that to become a king you need to take a horrible oath. Like : "you can become king, but you have to eat only stale bread and water for the rest of your life. If only once the bread you eat won't be stale enough, then you break the oath and lose your kingdom. This is how magic of oaths works here, stranger"

I think that the writer was shitty and "oath" and "crown" should reverse places in the sentence.
"Oath" and "Crown" are woedica things. "weight of a Crown" perhaps.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
"Is an oath ... worth the weight ... of a crown?"

You're a war hero. You accepted the crown and took the oath. Who wouldn't want to be a king ruler. But the crown is cursed and you've become cursed king who need to find a way to lift the curse. Somebody set you up.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
A Skyrim clone in PoE's setting?

tenor.gif

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Archers' range in trailer is so crazy that if I was skeleton from PoE 1, I'd still be crit hit. Not sure this thread is out of their range, so watch your tongues, lads! Only Obsidian's Avowed won't be targeted

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dunno man, something like Arx Fatalis doesnt sell on current market, console peasants want their endless open world with alot of towers to climb, besides, Warhorse managed to make a open world style game and Spiders as well, even with Obsidian usual shenanigans, I think they can pull it off (I dont think will be a good game though, they lost thier best storytellers and I'm not excited for smash the left mouse button AAA combat).

There was a big backlash with Outer Worlds because many felt conned by Obsidian as the game is not a true open world game. Unless Microsoft only wanted a filler to occupy a spot on gamepass but why would they buy Obsidian for it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom