Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

RepHope

Savant
Let’s hope for a Shivering Isles tier turnaround. They got that M$ backing now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This thread seems to be full of the kind of people who think that:

- the problem with the nuGhostbusters was bad jokes
- the problem with The Last Jedi was Leia's spaceflight
- the problem with Star Trek: Picard was bad acting
- the problem with The Last of Us 2 was bad pacing
- the problem with The Outer Worlds was boring itemization

What's next? The problem with Das Kapital are typos?

What exactly are you trying to imply here, you fucking BIGOT?

1562989910252.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Pillars at least sold well. Wether it was good is a different question.

Did this game flop in sales? I haven't kept up with the thread.
I thought New Vegas in Space would of done well even if the trailers completely exposed how shallow of a game it was.

No this sold incredibly well for budget and game length. This massive success after a bad streak means that Obsidian will never touch an isometric rpg again, hence they are dead for me.

Ehh.. I have a feeling "Outerworld 2 : Bugaloo" will not sell as well unless they clearly articulate that it's "Bigger, Better". Even if it has a larger budget and is objectively better quality.

My fee-fee's tell me fanboys really did expect Spaceout: New Vegas and I would bet it made a large chunk of it's money on pre-order hype and now feels largely forgotten like the mediocre shit it was.
I could be wrong though.

At no point did the preview material promise more than what was delivered People suspected it would be a 20 hour flash in the pan. So it's not like the devs weren't honest.

Thonius

Arcane
Played through this with the help of microsoft game pass for pc beta trial (1 eur for 3 months, or something, way too much money though). I'm far from a codex tryhard, you know, as you get old you grow softer....but this was the worst game I've ever completed.

- Story: mostly bad, unsipiring. Humor is forced
- Itemization: irrelevant, inconsequential.
Except for the final battle, to which I accidentally brought a special gloop(?) weapon that was crucial for a victory
- Companions: boring, forgettable
- Quests: Boring, railroaded - heck there was even literal rails on some of the planets. Also a lot of fedex quests to help a lesbian.
- World(s): Mostly pungent and garish aesthetics, maps feeling smallish.
- Music: It was good, actually.

And the ship looked cool.

Never again.
DrEam Gaeme! From Old farts! Epic!
Called it after first trailer.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Two nights ago, I finished reading a novel (CyberStorm; it was free, and seemed vaguely interesting) that presented some good concepts. However, the author's writing style was incredibly boring, if technically competent, and he utterly failed at characterization and character development. By next week, I'll have forgotten all about it and will never think of it again.

Yesterday night, I began rereading Fahrenheit 451. The difference in writing style, characterization, and character development are absolutely night and day, and I've never forgotten the novel since first reading it.

Then there's Isaac Asimov, a special case. His writing style and characterizations are more than merely competent, but they certainly don't approach the level of literary legend. However, his concepts are exceptional even now, and must have been totally mind-bending back when he first wrote his novels.

Obsidian has pulled off the game equivalent of a Fahrenheit 451 and an Isaac Asimov novel during its run. It is now churning out CyberStorms.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I tried to replay this during lockdown, but... it didn't manage to capture me anymore. The novelty of the scenario and alien environment already wore off pretty quick the first time, now there's not even that hooking me in.
Instead it just made me remember how crappy the combat was and how monarch was a boring repetitive open world, with the same enemies over and over, just to stretch the games length. Because the other planets were not accessable.:argh:

Why did it "work" the first time? Rose tinted glasses?
I guess they tried to make F:NV IN SPACE, but now it has to survive being compared to Mass Effect. The combat just sucks and, more importantly, companions are barely there. I got zero connections to them, they felt like temp workers on my ship I avoid.

Probably the first game I don't want to replay, so it does not ruin my decent memories of the forst time. :hahano:

Smerlus

Educated
My first time playing it was on Supernova with a melee character. I purposely did everything I could to make the game hard and it was still pretty easy.

Thought about doing a run on a lower setting and just killing everything or siding with the board but there's really no motivation to do that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon is coming to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on September 9th, 2020.

This is the first narrative expansion to the critically-acclaimed and award-winning sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

A severed arm and a mysterious message lead the crew of the Unreliable to the Gorgon Asteroid, formerly the site of one of Halcyon’s most ambitious and disastrous scientific undertakings, now a lawless den of monsters and marauders. Wealthy recluse Minnie Ambrose tasks the crew with finding answers about Dr. Olivia Ambrose, her mother and the doomed project’s disgraced director, but they are soon ensnared in an intrigue that will change the colony forever.

Key Features:
• Intrigue and danger: Search an abandoned Spacer’s Choice facility and encounter a cast of new characters as you uncover the mystery behind the sudden cancellation of the Gorgon Project.
• New locations: Explore the treacherous canyons of the Gorgon Asteroid and encounter enemies that have been warped by science.
• More science weapons: Discover three outlandish new science weapons, including the P.E.T. (Pest Extermination Tool), an exciting new melee weapon that draws in enemies for close-range attacks.
• Expanded character customization and lore: An increased level cap, additional perks and flaws, wholly new armor sets, and several variants for existing gear. Plus, dig into the story of the Gorgon Asteroid with new Portable Phonograph audio logs that reveal the salacious secrets of a scientific experiment gone wrong.

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon is the first of two narrative expansions that can be purchased individually or bundled at a discount in The Outer Worlds Expansion Pass. A copy of The Outer Worlds on the same platform is required to play expansion(s).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So much for an overhaul expansion to turn the game around. Looks like some glorified mappack.

Well here are the gameplay changes:

• Expanded character customization and lore: An increased level cap, additional perks and flaws, wholly new armor sets, and several variants for existing gear. Plus, dig into the story of the Gorgon Asteroid with new Portable Phonograph audio logs that reveal the salacious secrets of a scientific experiment gone wrong.

Audio logs! Well, I guess if you were already inspired by Bioshock's visuals...

RepHope

Savant
First of two projects huh? Maybe this will be the “Hearts of Stone” sized one and then there will be a larger “Blood and Wine” type expansion? Didn’t expect them to do two, I honestly only expected one and for them to then move on to the sequel.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After Outer Worlds, i'm not looking forward to this.
I pretty much ignored that one and didn't read the thread. Was it just boring, or was it incredibly buggy to top it all off?
I didn't encounter any bugs in my short time with Outer Worlds. I wouldn't even say it was boring exactly, just lackluster and undercooked.

I quit when a group of raiders took a hostage, and you could overhear them talking about how much of a ransom they could get, and how they wished they could get this over with. But there was no way to bargain or negotiate with them, sneak past them or distract them to save the hostage - the only way to continue that mission was to walk towards them while left clicking.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
As expected, a 5 hour DLC that'll probably cost 30 bux and offers one big tube map (because consoles still can't handle open spaces) and half a dozen items.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
They're calling it an expansion, not a DLC, so I expect more than 5h of content. But otherwise yeah, lack of improvements on the mechanical side is a massive disappointment so far. What good is a higher level cap if there's nothing interesting to gain from the levels anyway.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They're calling it an expansion, not a DLC, so I expect more than 5h of content. But otherwise yeah, lack of improvements on the mechanical side is a massive disappointment so far. What good is a higher level cap if there's nothing interesting to gain from the levels anyway.

But now you can pick new perks, like +30% to walk speed or +55 to science weapons damage!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This seems to be part of the original press release:

We hope you’re ready to return to Halcyon for more interstellar mayhem. Today, Private Division and Obsidian Entertainment revealed details for The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon, the first of two narrative DLCs.

Peril on Gorgon adds a substantial amount of content to the game’s darkly humorous universe with a brand new noir-tinged adventure that takes players to the Gorgon Asteroid to investigate the mysterious origin of Adrena-Time. While there, you’ll find new weapons and armor, perks, flaws, and the same freedom to approach your problems that made the original game so rewarding.

Peril on Gorgon requires the base game and the player will have needed to progress past Monarch to access the DLC’s content.

Peril on Gorgon will be available on September 9 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC for $14.99 and Xbox Game Pass Users will receive a 10% discount on the DLC. Peril on Gorgon will also be available as part of an expansion pass which includes the second DLC for a discounted total price of $24.99. Full details will be revealed at a later date.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

But now you can pick new perks, like +3% to walk speed or +5 to science weapons damage!

I fixed your typos.

That's actually reasonable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom