Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Perkel

Arcane
As much as i don't like Dragon Quest this is actually good JRPG that behaves like golden era of JRPGs never ended and it plays like one.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Pay 40 bucks and get downgraded graphics!

it-is-the-5aa444.jpg

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Arbiter
>no discount for PC users who own the original
>uses downgraded version of UE4 for the new port
>still uses fucking Denuvo

I know it's Square but... come the fuck on. They even removed Denuvo off Builders 2 recently for fuck sake. Why the fuck would I not just look up all the new story content anyway?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw Square's FAQ for the new version confirms it uses the downgraded graphics of the Switch version of the game. That's enough for me to give it a pass as I already bought the original DQ 11 and played through it, and the new side-content isn't enough for me to re-buy it and replay all 80+ hours again of the game, not with downgraded graphics.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
btw Square's FAQ for the new version confirms it uses the downgraded graphics of the Switch version of the game. That's enough for me to give it a pass as I already bought the original DQ 11 and played through it, and the new side-content isn't enough for me to re-buy it and replay all 80+ hours again of the game, not with downgraded graphics.

Same situation with me, only with the caveat "not yet". I intend to replay DQ 11 in 3-5 years maybe, following Squares usual pricing policy that should be around the time when DQ 11 deluxe starts to be more than 30% off.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd possibly buy it for $20/€15 to play in 2D mode. We'll see if I ever impulse buy at that price point.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Resolution and framerate are a factor of hardware, and assets will probably be modded over eventually. Seems the only casualty will be the global lighting.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah DQ11 is not some graphic powerhouse and most of its wow factor comes from art style.

Terra

Cipher
Completely laughable behavior from SquareEnix (and from a AAA pub in general). We can't be bothered putting in the effort to polish this up, redo GI and reimport the assets we already created previously, BUT, you, dear customer, can have the privilege of paying us again, for another half-assed port. Get fucked Square, there's been so many botched ports and "definitive" PC hatchet jobs from these jokers over the years - Deus Ex HR Directors Cut, FF6 PC port, Nier Automata, the list goes on. The truly astounding thing is how they keep finding new ways to fuck up what should be some fairly easy wins on their part.

Tigranes

Arcane
The decision is stupid & typical Square that couldn't handle a sensible port/re-release of anything without fucking it up with a couple of incomprehensibly self-sabotaging decisions.

That said, DQ11 is basically bright painted blobs running around in a stylised lo-fi cartoon environment, so the Switch graphics were just fine for me. Whether you like the artstyle or not, I mean, you could probably lose all the particle effects and it'd still look what it is

Duraframe300

Arcane
The decision is stupid & typical Square that couldn't handle a sensible port/re-release of anything without fucking it up with a couple of incomprehensibly self-sabotaging decisions.

That said, DQ11 is basically bright painted blobs running around in a stylised lo-fi cartoon environment, so the Switch graphics were just fine for me. Whether you like the artstyle or not, I mean, you could probably lose all the particle effects and it'd still look what it is

The choice isn't really incomprehensible though, is it? Money.

Cheaper to just port the new version. As you said with the Artstyle and high IQ who's going to complain?

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

It just makes me want to go ahead and get it on Switch. Portable DQ is great.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Fuck them for not upgrading the base version. Would have been the decent thing to do. Will pirate maybe but they won't get a single buck from me from now on.

Terra

Cipher
Apparently 6 millions sales still isn't enough money for Square to produce a proper definitive port of the definitive edition though, lol.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have it on ps4 then I bought it on the switch and felt a little dirty, now it will be on gamepass and I feel stupid and dirty.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
20 hours in and I regret not starting in Draconian mode, there's absolutely zero challenge in anything the game throws at you. I just might restart tonight.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
20 hours in and I regret not starting in Draconian mode, there's absolutely zero challenge in anything the game throws at you. I just might restart tonight.
Some draconian challenges are game changers.

Jinn

Arcane

Stronger Monsters is an absolute must for anyone who wants a good challenge. It sometimes forces you to use every trick up your sleeve. It is pretty much the perfect difficulty for a classic style JRPG. Don't listen to anyone who says the game is fine without it. At that point it's hardly even a Dragon Quest game (I'm lookin at you, AdvancedHero).

cruel

Cipher
I'm really disappointed that the game doesn't offer anything between normal and Draconian to be honest - a very big flaw in my opinion. While normal is piss easy, draconian is just annoying for me - I would really like something in between.

Ivan

Arcane
Yep, I wish I had just done it on normal and enjoyed the game for its presentation. The way the difficulty ramps up for the true ending was a pretty lowlight for me. But I was too far to quit by that point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom