Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Fable from Playground Games

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Isn't the game supposed to be a reboot of the franchise, as in "we're starting from scratch"?

RepHope

Savant
Isn't the game supposed to be a reboot of the franchise, as in "we're starting from scratch"?
We don’t know. It looks like they’re not throwing everything out though, the Guild Symbol is still there as is the more comedic tone.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
We don’t know. It looks like they’re not throwing everything out though, the Guild Symbol is still there as is the more comedic tone.

I hope they do. The series as a concept does have potential. Now get some studio to take all the interesting bits from the previous three titles, and manufacture a much better product from them.

ADL

Prophet
Even MS isn't dumb enough to make the exact same mistake twice, he probably means a game with a big gaas focus + multiplayer/coop.
Yeah multiple leakers have come out and called it "MMO-lite" so I'm imagining something like Forza Horizons 4 or Sea of Thieves where you kind of just stumble into people doing different things.

Garbage

Learned

Parts of the castle in the distance look somewhat like Bowerstone/Fairfax Castle, too.
At the least it doesn't seem to be a remake, though I'll keep myself cautiously optimistic until it releases.

Perkel

Arcane

Moly is not in MS anymore.
Lionhead has been shutdown for years and developers moved on.
Playground never made any other game than Racing games for past decade.

Fable is good series imho that despite being simple in nature tried to innovate on basically everything often times missing but a lot of times delivering something great.

F3 is good example of that.

You play as young prince with hot bridetobe in time of industrial revolution where you brother takes throne and starts to make evil looking choices. You as young dude end up with resistance and for 3/4 of game you play to dethrone your brother. Your brother "evils" increase day by day, kids put into factories, hunger, forced work, strikes are brutally repressed etc etc etc. Resistance grows and you finally dethrone your brother killing him.

When you finally take throne with people from resistance and everything looks like happy ending you get to know something your brother knew. That demonic force is gathering at southern border of kingdom and in next months they will attack kingdom and it looks completely hopeless.

All of his actions were to prepare for oncoming onslaught and you are effectively have to redo what he did, moreover wahtever he made he didn't spend on his life or hookers but invested every gold coin into defense leaving you completely empty treasury. If people don't make stuff in those factories everyone is going to die, you can't tell everyone that they will probably die in next few months because everyone will panic and will try to run away.

And now one by one your fellow rebels come to you with expectation that you will follow up your pledge to remove tyrany. Each choice to remove tyranic pressure from people will mean less gold for defense you need to gather from somewhere.

It is amazing bait and switch and amazing twist in my view. The problem with it is that ending doesn't care about what you did as king which is real salt in wound for that game. In the end you go up to some cave in south and kill bad guy winning game the end.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jul/27/xbox-series-x-games-technology-matt-booty-microsoft

A highlight, however, was the final reveal of the event: a return of the acclaimed role-playing series, Fable, originally developed at Lionhead, a studio controversially closed by Microsoft in 2016. As long rumoured, the new title will be developed by Leamington-based Playground Games, which until now has been responsible solely for the driving series, Forza Horizon.

According to Booty, it was the studio’s experience with large open-world environments that singled it out for the project. “I just look at what Playground has done with the Horizon series – that attention to detail, the ability to represent these naturalistic landscapes. They also have a real passion for the IP and a unique point of view on what’s core to Fable. Everything I’ve seen as the game progresses tells me this is going to be a very high-quality release.”

Rumours surfaced at the weekend that the new title will be a massively multiplayer online game rather than a true narrative sequel to Fable 3. Those rumours have since been refuted by other news sources. While not directly addressing the speculation, Booty claimed the new title will respect the legacy of the series, as well as bringing in the studio’s own ideas.

“With any kind of franchise like that, where you’ve had existing versions, there’s always that balance between what you’re going to bring forward, what still stands up, and what you want to add that’s new,” he says. “It’s like the challenge of making a new Star Wars movie – there’s stuff that everyone wants you to bring along, but then you’ve got a responsibility to take that to new places and I trust Playground has a good vision for that.”

Codex Year of the Donut
According to Booty, it was the studio’s experience with large open-world environments that singled it out for the project. “I just look at what Playground has done with the Horizon series – that attention to detail, the ability to represent these naturalistic landscapes. They also have a real passion for the IP and a unique point of view on what’s core to Fable. Everything I’ve seen as the game progresses tells me this is going to be a very high-quality release.”
Is he being serious here?
Old Microsoft wouldn't have trusted this retard with making coffee.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://www.gamesradar.com/fable-4-...tm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=gamesradar

Fable 4 uses the same game engine as Forza Motorsport

By Austin Wood 2 days ago

Which makes sense, but sounds really weird
kNskiDzjvDTRavKdJtbSgN-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Playground Games)

Fable 4 uses the same game engine as the Forza franchise.

A new job listing at Forza developer Turn10 Studios (spotted by IGN) confirms that Forzatech, the studio's core game engine, is powering "three AAA titles in development across two beloved Xbox franchises." More pertinently, it specifies that "in addition to adding new features like raytracing to support the next console generation, we are also enriching the toolset to support an open world action RPG – Fable."

In other words, two of those three AAA titles are Fable and Forza Motorsport 8, and the third is presumably the next game in the Forza Horizon series. From an outsider's perspective, it's odd to think that the new Fable, which we can safely assume will be a fantasy RPG of some sort, is being built using the same software as a racing game.

But once you get over the upfront wonkiness, it does make sense. For starters, Fable 4 is in the works at Playground Games, best known as the home of Forza Horizon. And on top of widely used engines like Unreal and Unity, plenty of proprietary and custom game engines can be retooled every which way to suit a range of genres, experiences, game modes, and so on. So while this definitely sounds weird, it's not actually that out of the ordinary.

If nothing else, this is a welcome reminder that Fable 4 is, in fact, a thing. We haven't heard a thing about the sequel since its reveal last year, so we'll settle for even the tiniest bread crumb at this point.

Forza 8, fortunately, has been much more active, with another round of playtest invites going out just last month.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wccftech.com/fable-progress-slow-playground-lack-of-rpg-experience-frugal/

Fable Progress Slow Due to Playground’s Lack of RPG Experience and Frugal Approach Says Dev

What exactly is going on with Microsoft and Playground Games’ Fable reboot? The game was announced nearly two years ago, and rumors it was in development surfaced two years before that, so shouldn’t we have seen something beyond a very basic teaser? It feels like development is progressing rather slowly for a studio that pumps out massive open-world Forza Horizon games on a very regular basis, and it seems we may now have some insight into why.

Game designer Juan Fernandez has bounced around various studios, including Rime developer Tequila Works, Hellblade creators Ninja Theory, and a stint at Playground Games where he worked on the new Fable. Perhaps unsurprisingly, in an interview with Vandal (translation provided by Google, so forgive any stiff phrasing) Fernandez reveals Playground had some trouble adapting to making an open-world game where you don’t blast around in fancy cars at 200 mph.

Playground is [...] very organized and production-driven. Every two years they put out a Forza Horizon, which has more than 90 on Metacritic, with incredible quality. They have taken racing games and they've dominated them these last few years. They're very smart and they know what they're doing. They wanted to branch out with something different and they thought that what they do well is open world racing games, [but] they lacked people with the knowledge of how gameplay is done. In an open world, how you control a character and the actions are very different from what you have in a racing game. At the technology level, you have to develop animation, scripting, a quest system. Moving in a car at 300 kmh has very different requirements than walking through the countryside.​

Playground also reportedly has a “do more with less” ethos, which has served them well when it comes to doing something they’ve reduced to a science like Forza Horizon, but slowed progress when it came to something more ambitious like Fable…

Action RPG open worlds are incredibly complicated to do, they take a lot of time. A lot of people and in Playground they have the mentality of doing more with less, that if Assassin's Creed is done by 5000 people they will have 150 or 200, and if they do [Assassin's Creed] in 7 years, they'd do Fable in 5. It is good to be ambitious but you also have to be realistic and what I saw is that [development] was getting longer and longer.​

It will certainly be interesting to see how Playground’s take on Fable turns out. Thankfully, according to Fernandez, Playground has added a lot of new talent to their team, so hopefully they have the people they need to make Fable a success.

Fable is coming to PC and Xbox Series X/S. A release window has yet to be revealed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Microsoft first party is a fucking trainwreck. Going on two years of this generation and the only thing they have to show is Forza and halo infinite...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No 'She/Her' or 'BLM' on her profile and no dyke hair though, so maybe there's still a chance it's not complete shit.

Her latest tweets are crying that Musk bringing free speech to twitter will make her leave. I wouldn't say Control had a winning story either.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I wouldn't say Control had a winning story either.

Control's story was decent in comparison to other modern games, and didn't lean very political at all (if it did, I probably completely missed it). My only complaint was that it didn't delve more into its SCP inspirations. If she was head writer/narrative for Control, it would increase my interest for this.

I don't really care about the author's personal politics unless it seeps into their work.

RepHope

Savant
No 'She/Her' or 'BLM' on her profile and no dyke hair though, so maybe there's still a chance it's not complete shit.

Her latest tweets are crying that Musk bringing free speech to twitter will make her leave. I wouldn't say Control had a winning story either.
I liked Control and Fable has always been pretty cringelib. They made a huge deal of gay marriage in Fable 3 (which was shit). Cable’s the type of game you pirate for a dry period between actually worthwhile games, always has been.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
They made a huge deal of gay marriage in Fable 3 (which was shit)
Fable 3 is so bad I don't think we should be ever talking about it. Haven't played 2 because I don't have x360, but I've heard it's basically a move in the direction that gave us 3. I find this series to be really sad case, because evidently people involved didn't understand what people liked about 1, doubt the new team figures it out tho.

Codex Year of the Donut
only thing I know about fable is that the designer did an angry rant about how a microsoft marketing guy wouldn't let them put a black woman on the cover because it would kill sales

Perkel

Arcane
Predictable. Engines don't grow on trees and are not easily changeable to suit your needs.

Bioware learned this hard way when they switched to Frostbite which was developed for FPS games and they woke up with engine that didn't have anything to do with RPGs.

I fully expect CDPR hitting similar snag with Unreal Engine 5. Their redengine allowed them to optimize their work so they could create something like TW3 or C77 i somehow doubt all their tools could be replaced easily.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/623011304

I’m genuinely sorry to all fable fans but this needs to get out there so dont get your hopes up this year

-The most current build of the new fable was deemed “unplayable” by most of the team

-Basically starting from scratch in Unreal, the old Forzatech version will never see the light of day.

-Forzatech version was about a quarter of the way done as of august 2022

-This new version of fable 4 in unreal is still very early, the new target window is Q4 of 2024
:greatjob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom