Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Were some of us have money to go to McDonald and are not poor like you.
Clearly you are proving my point,i said that you have more money than brain,not that you are rich or have a lot of money.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Yes, smaller ships anyway. You'll be able to pick up a rover or hover bike within a week of running delivery missions. The higher end ships are very expensive and wouldn't be practical for a normal player at this point. If you do buy in, make sure you start with a ship with some cargo capacity. Of the starter packs, the Mustang Alpha is better than the Aurora.

Wait whole week of grind just to buy bike ?

giphy.gif

Does those missions scale up ? I mean if whole week is required for bike then i assume something like Freelancer you need to grind a year or two if those mission rewards are the same.
Well, depends on how much you play obviously. There are a lot of things to buy at the low end, ship components, armor, weapons and items. I've mostly focused on buying that stuff because they only recently stopped wiping credits between every patch. Medium-small ships like the freelancer or cutlass take some grinding but it's doable. The ones that are really out of reach are like the hammerhead or constellation.

When you start out you'll probably be doing small cargo runs which aren't very profitable. There are better ways to make money like mining, bounty hunting, and mercenary missions. You'll need to buy a mining tool and probably a backpack for the hand mining. Combat missions generally start easy and then you can upgrade to harder missions with higher payouts, although those will get tough in a starter ship.

Myobi

Liturgist
They're implementing their new version of interactive in-game UI screens. In this update they're adding it to ship HUDs; next update, elevator panels. Up until now all their in-game UI buttons and panels have been special-case makeshift solutions that weren't easy to customize or re-purpose. Elevator UI in particular sucked balls because it used the old "inner thought" system of floating text options.

Can someone tell me if this mother fucker is trolling the shit out of me or…

Over 8 years and $300 million deep into this shit and here we stand, trying to come up with fancy ass words to make the dumbest and most mundane shit sound sugoi as fuck, bloody elevator panels, fucking hell, no wonder why this shit is taking forever to develop, you mofos might wanna start “investing” into cryogenics instead , because considering the human average life span, you might have a problem here.

Wait,they managed to loose progress on some of them?

They should just hire the guys behind Mass Effect 1 to help them out with the fucking elevators.

I bet Microsoft would wrap it up just fine.

Fixed that for you.

Last edited:

justincz

Scholar
H9dOLHv.png

This quote doesn’t even need changing. It already says SC
Good job Chris you’ve managed to replicate your idiotic management mistakes continually for the past 20 years

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
H9dOLHv.png

Good job Chris you’ve managed to replicate your idiotic management mistakes continually for the past 20 years

Difference is that Strike Commander was an awesome game and complete. Retard should have just re-released all his classics in a modern engine, kept and polished the FMV from the WC 3-5 and he probably would have spent a quarter of what he did here on all those games and released them.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does those missions scale up ? I mean if whole week is required for bike then i assume something like Freelancer you need to grind a year or two if those mission rewards are the same.

Don't worry. There will be a special mission where you can go to the online store in another sector and just by using your real credit card you will be able to cut the grind in half.

Myobi

Liturgist

... and that was before Freelancer, right? Where he pretty much did it again to the point of being forced selling the project?

:Flash:

Arcane

... and that was before Freelancer, right? Where he pretty much did it again to the point of being forced selling the project?
It has always been his problem. He was forced out of his seat at the helm of Wing Commander (1) by Origin, in order to get it out of the door, and in contrast to what many people believe, he wasn't in charge for WC2, 3 and 4.
At the beginning of August, Snell unceremoniously booted Chris Roberts, the project’s founder, from his role as co-producer, leaving him with only the title of director. Manifesting a tendency anyone familiar with his more recent projects will immediately recognize, Roberts had been causing chaos on the team by approving seemingly every suggested addition or enhancement that crossed his desk. Snell, the brutal pragmatist in this company full of dreamers, appointed himself as Warren Spector’s new co-producer. His first action was to place a freeze on new features in favor of getting the game that currently existed finished and out the door.
https://www.filfre.net/2017/04/from-wingleader-to-wing-commander/

Perkel

Arcane
Recent leaks, rumors and official info about development status.

- recent patch is thin due to coronavirus and transfer to work out of home mode
- they already finished half of new system (presented at con last year), plan is to release it by the end of this year.
- server meshing will be releasing along new star system because to connect two star system it requires server meshing
- cloud city in gas giant atmosphere is delayed (was supposed to be released this or next patch)
- above is due to cloud tech not being ready (it is different than nebula cloud system, it will be used for gas giants and planets)
- this and next patch are thin because they are polishing SQ42 (outside of covid problems)
- they plan to release in next two patches, huge update to player and item precision. Basically they will fix jerky animations due to connection and most if not all ruberbanding in how players perceive other players and npcs.
- Vulcan implementation also is planned for this year. They plan to completely move to it as it will allow them to add thousands of extra items etc. per instance without huge CPU cost + other stuff.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
They completely reworked flight model in 3.10. Ships now have actual weight to them which was completely lacking before + now they have atmospheric flight model where depending on ship shape ships fly differently in atmosphere.

Perkel

Arcane
So, around 1.5-2yrs per system. How many systems were promised? Something like a hundred?

120 or something like that. Though since then they changed their design from planets being sprites to actual planets you can land on so it is not directly comparable.

The reason why they take so much time with current system is that they picked Stanton as test bed for all of their features. So stanton have very varied bodies with all require different pieces of tech to work.

On other hand they also work on SQ42 in secrecy and mostly ships only transfer to SC. So i fully expect that when they will be releasing SQ42 after it they will be quickly adding a lot of systems which were needed for SQ42.

Perkel

Arcane
More on 3.10 update. They updated stealth. So outside of ED there is also now SC if you want that stealth ship gameplay waiting.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I wonder just how much the rumours of him being a micro-managing tyrant are true. Imagine trying to develop any pipeline when you have an overlord who sticks his nose into every little thing being done, and every decision has to come to a screeching halt until your lord and master makes his verdict.

:Flash:

Arcane
I wonder just how much the rumours of him being a micro-managing tyrant are true. Imagine trying to develop any pipeline when you have an overlord who sticks his nose into every little thing being done, and every decision has to come to a screeching halt until your lord and master makes his verdict.
That's more than just rumours, it's acknowledged by basically everyone. Richard Garriot contrasted his own management style (extremely laissez-faire) with Roberts' in an interview and said "I literally heard him say 'make that pixel blue' to an artist".

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
That's more than just rumours, it's acknowledged by basically everyone. Richard Garriot contrasted his own management style (extremely laissez-faire) with Roberts' in an interview and said "I literally heard him say 'make that pixel blue' to an artist".

What's even better is that it's widely know that, should you have the temerity to stand your ground and voice your own opinion, the man will fire you immediately. He's not even the "art through conflict and adversity" type of personality, just a blatant "do exactly as you're told... but be artistic about it".

SlamDunk

Arcane
H9dOLHv.png

The full quote: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/posts/8599279

In hindsight, knowing what a truly Herculean task Strike Commander turned into, the heartache and disappointment it created when its release date was constantly pushed back, and the amount of time from our personal lives that it consumed, we probably should have designed it differently. We shouldn't have tried to do quite as much or shot quite as high. In our arrogance we had set out to create something that was not only better than everything else, it was several orders of magnitude better. And it was several orders of magnitude more expensive as well - in fact the most expensive game ORIGIN has ever developed. Like Francis Ford Coppola and his film crew on Apocalypse Now, we knew we were in way over our heads, but we also knew there was no turning back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom