Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing PST for the first time. Any advice?

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I'm finally getting around to playing PlaneEscape: Torment, any advice for me? What stats should I have and shit like that? No story spoilers you bastards

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
High WIS gives xp bonuses as well as opening up more dialog choices.

Other than that, play it like you want to. Even if you die, don't re-load. It's all part of the experience.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mental stats are more important than physical. Wisdom especially if you want to get the good dialogue options. You start as a fighter, but you'll find trainers somewhat early on that let you change your class to rogue or mage. Other than that, standard RPG advice applies: Explore everything, talk to everyone, do all quests, etc.

Even if you die, don't re-load.
Also this. Pretty important.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Either go all physical or all mental. If you play a hybrid, you won't be able to skip all the combats and they'll be harder than they need to be.

barghwata

Savant
I highly recommend you play with high WIS, INT and maybe even some charisma in your first run to get the full experience, because without them you will be missing out on alot of story elements and memories and whatnot; most other stats are completely irrelevant because combat is dogshit and your companions can handle it anyways.

Erebus

Arcane
I'm finally getting around to playing PlaneEscape: Torment, any advice for me? What stats should I have and shit like that? No story spoilers you bastards

Max mental stats and try to become a wizard as soon as you can.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Recovered a memory of me sewing up some zombie with a 42 on its head, where the hell is this thing? Got the embalming key for the disguised zombie dude too, but want to see what I can use it for first.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Recovered a memory of me sewing up some zombie with a 42 on its head, where the hell is this thing? Got the embalming key for the disguised zombie dude too, but want to see what I can use it for first.
Good things come to those who explore. Didn't you say you don't want spoilers anyway?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's best played as a hack and slash game, like IWD.

Get a big ass axe, grandmastery and 25 Strength, and start slaying the trash-text NPCs.

Fun!

Sykar

Arcane
Update your journal.
images

overly excitable young man

Different combinations of letters form different "words" alltogether.
As letters also are attributed to certain sounds of your tongue you connect the look and the sound of these "words" to mental images.
Suddenly the letters are translated into weird little stories in your head.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Play as a Mage. Check the barrels and stuff with Tab, especially in the dungeons (the most powerful artifact in the game, meteor ring, is lying somewhere in the trash bin!).
Don't sell anyone into slavery. Allow to vivisect yourself when the time comes.
Explore all the side-quests, they are relevant to the main plot.
While in Sigil, save and play with Lady's doll. Join Sensates faction.
Solve the Modron Cube when you obtain it. You can totally miss it. Dakkon's tablet could be solved too.
You can (and probably will) just run through Baator without fighting with the most mobile character, because PST allow the travel without gathering all the party. Combat in PST is awful and disbalanced, nobody will shame you for it.
Don't kill the final boss, use any of the (four I think?) ways to dialogue him into the ending or you'll miss the most memorable scene of the game.
Play BG 2/Throne of Baal immediately after the end and you'll find funny references.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Max WIS and CON. WIS gives you more XP, memories and dialogue choices, CON is good for fast regeneration. Level up as a fighter, gain some combat stats and proficiency in daggers, then switch to mage and keep playing as one. Mages have best equipment available and more quests, but limited to daggers. On lower difficulties (is there a reason to play PST on higher ones?) with high CON and good AC you can become absolutely unkillable even solo.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
with high CON and good AC you can become absolutely unkillable even solo.

Except TNO can't AC-lord. And even heavily embalmed, he gets ripped apart by mobs. If by unkillable you mean running away to the exits with mobs hot on your heels and mad as hell, or quaffing stackable charms, then ofc, Captain Obvious.

Argue with an authoritative source if you can. Here are the NUMBAZ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom