Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

VA is always shit, anyway. No matter the game.
Limited voice work can function just fine eg: Dungeon Keeper 2, Diablo, WC3, Dawn of War. The voice choices Fatlus have been making in their recent games really aren't bad either. I'd be more concerned with them getting the atmosphere and story notes correct but I'm optimistic that they've taken some of the criticism people commonly voice about smt4 and final and will cut back on the amount of overall dialogue in V.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am not even sure why people are againts voice acting at all

Ii is not that the Japanese VA is a cheap shit tier. If anything ATLUS English dub too is usually decent to good if it comes to that.

It stinks of people thinking "OLDER IS BETTER" so "NO VA IS BEtTER" which is on par with the Codex I guess.
I recognize the quality of VA in many ATLUS games (e.g. the Persona games). My comment was specifically for Nocturne.

Garbage

Learned
Reading up on all these people who casually sneezed through Persona 4 and 5 and are thinking of giving the HD remaster a shot.

Even playing on Merciful they're going to get filtered hard by Mot and Matador, it's a beautiful salt mine in the making.

A DIFFICULTY SUITABLE FOR THOSE WHO ENJOY THE THRILL OF DEATH

Ii is not that the Japanese VA is a cheap shit tier. If anything ATLUS English dub too is usually decent to good if it comes to that.

It stinks of people thinking "OLDER IS BETTER" so "NO VA IS BEtTER" which is on par with the Codex I guess.

It's trash. There's no way that the VA is going to hit what I imagine a character to be like in each scene, considering how weird, scary, and deranged everything is, including the characters' psyche. And there's certainly no way that any VA can give a voice worthy of a character like Thor or Metatron.

Silva

Arcane

It's trash. There's no way that the VA is going to hit what I imagine a character to be like in each scene, considering how weird, scary, and deranged everything is, including the characters' psyche. And there's certainly no way that any VA can give a voice worthy of a character like Thor or Metatron.
I would agree with you some time back, but Persona 5 voices are really good so I wuldnt worry,

Higher

Literate
One thing I'm wondering about is why Japan is getting an October release for the remaster and the rest of the world is getting it in Spring 2020. It could just be for the dubbing since the game's already been translated, but that makes wonder how extensive it is.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It's definitely for the dubbing. I'm curious to see if they will bother to do anything close to proper lip syncing. I don't think the characters mouths moved during the text but it's been a while since I played Nocturne.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

VA costs an unreasonable amount of money, more than anything that isnt 3D modelling or straight up mocap. Also it raises the cost per line of dialogue significantly.
This means for full VA cuts need to be made, for a good example see Solasta which has literally cut half of the classes and multiclassing from their game to scape together the money for VA. This adds a toxic dynamic where lore, story and dialogue feeds into the same budget as better combat animations when it was relatively free before.
For being this huge money sink VA adds barely anything to the game. I am a very fast reader, and I skip the VA when I am done reading the text bubble, usually 1/3 to 1/4 of the text has been said until that point.
That is not saying VA adds nothing to the game, it can add a good bit of punch to emotional lines. My favourite system is 90% of lines unvoiced and 10% voiced like Persona. Gets the best of both worlds while not being brutally expensive.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
VA costs an unreasonable amount of money, more than anything that isnt 3D modelling or straight up mocap. Also it raises the cost per line of dialogue significantly.
This means for full VA cuts need to be made, for a good example see Solasta which has literally cut half of the classes and multiclassing from their game to scape together the money for VA. This adds a toxic dynamic where lore, story and dialogue feeds into the same budget as better combat animations when it was relatively free before.
For being this huge money sink VA adds barely anything to the game. I am a very fast reader, and I skip the VA when I am done reading the text bubble, usually 1/3 to 1/4 of the text has been said until that point.
That is not saying VA adds nothing to the game, it can add a good bit of punch to emotional lines. My favourite system is 90% of lines unvoiced and 10% voiced like Persona. Gets the best of both worlds while not being brutally expensive.

In this case the game is already made and I doubt they are going to be adding new content so I appreciate the added value since they will probably charge $30-$50 for this. I can read far faster than I can listen too but that's why I turn subtitles off in games. It lets me enjoy and appreciate the work that went into the voice acting. I'm not in a rush. Extra bonus if the game has dual audio and I can use it to practice my Japanese.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
VA costs an unreasonable amount of money
bruh that's not really that true nowadays, real costs are in mo-cap and its not like nocturne has ten trillion lines to dub

more than anything that isnt 3D modelling or straight up mocap

Its still a massive cost factor. There is a reason games with massive scripts usually omit the voice acting, its bloody expensive. If Trails had full voice acting it would literally bankrupt Falcom as an example.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

But this game is already made lmao.They are just adding VA to the base game. And ATLUS is not your backwater company with no money either. I can understand the argument for smaller studi like Owlcat or some AA Western studio.

The VA budget also won't give you better combat or whatever. Combat system to begin with is already decided pretty early. And it's not that SMT combat has enough variation to begin with, it's been the same since Noctrune.

If you read to fast and don't want to wait for VA talk just skip it, that's what I do when I am in a hurry. Otherwise I will be enjoying a well made VA game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
But this game is already made lmao.They are just adding VA to the base game. And ATLUS is not your backwater company with no money either. I can understand the argument for smaller studi like Owlcat or some AA Western studio.

The VA budget also won't give you better combat or whatever. Combat system to begin with is already decided pretty early. And it's not that SMT combat has enough variation to begin with, it's been the same since Noctrune.

If you read to fast and don't want to wait for VA talk just skip it, that's what I do when I am in a hurry. Otherwise I will be enjoying a well made VA game.

I disagree with full VA on a fundamental level. There are only a very few games where it truly enhances a games atmosphere enough to be worth its cost, namely Gothic.
I dont particularily care for Atlus adding VA afterwards as it doesnt affect me much, but half a year release delay due to VA is enough of an argument against it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I very much look forward to replaying the game. Hopefully they add a new difficulty since I already played it on hard... (and that was quite, ah, hard!)

Reading up on all these people who casually sneezed through Persona 4 and 5 and are thinking of giving the HD remaster a shot.

Even playing on Merciful they're going to get filtered hard by Mot and Matador, it's a beautiful salt mine in the making.

Hey, the first dungeon in P4 is quite difficult on Hard, and decently tricky in P5.
However...

P3 is a much more satisfying difficulty experience. It feels very good, just like Nocturne does.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh if anything the full VA for Noctrune is the only reason I am probably going to play this again if at all, so I am looking forward to it. Otherwise it is the same old same old grind that I've finished 2 times.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Meh if anything the full VA for Noctrune is the only reason I am probably going to play this again if at all, so I am looking forward to it. Otherwise it is the same old same old grind that I've finished 2 times.
This is basically the only reason I want to play it too. I'm already twitching in annoyance at thinking about going through that shitty labyrinth of amala again. I hated that part of the game. Worth it for the items/macca/extra bosses though

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I am kinda happy this is getting a re-release but not sure I'll play it, I am kinda too old for grind now.

Wonder if they will still have Dante show up or Devil Summoner show up as a rival easter egg or whatever.

deuxhero

Arcane

At 1 hour 4 mins in they show some gameplay and with it, voices of manikins and Matador. Judge for yourself.

Last edited:

Higher

Literate
The only real cost of voice acting, in my opinion, is how much more disk space the game will use, especially if Atlus includes the Japanese and English audio.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I wonder if it is possible now to cut completely the VA costs and have VO with a reasonable quality by generating it using AI...

Robber Baron

Savant
When I first saw the announcment ad my mind played a trick on me and for some split second I saw a SMT2 Remaster being made and a sudden burst of happiness have almost overthorwn me.
Then the reality kicked in along with unearthly dissapointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom