Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next big RPG is Avowed, a Skyrim-like set in the Pillars of Eternity universe

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Avowed; Obsidian Entertainment

Feargus Urquhart has talked for years about how much he wants to make a big Skyrim-like RPG using the Pillars of Eternity setting. After Obsidian was acquired by Microsoft and hit it out of the park with The Outer Worlds, it was clear that it was only a matter of time. Behold the reveal trailer for Avowed, unveiled today at the Xbox Games Showcase:

So what can one say about this? First of all, it's notable that they're not calling it Pillars of Eternity 3 or even Pillars of Eternity: Spinoff. On its very sparse official website, the game is described only as an "epic first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora". It appears to be specifically set in Aedyr, on Eora's previously unseen western continent. Judging by the repeated references to vows and oaths, it sounds like the game's story will likely involve Woedica, who is that nation's patron goddess. One of her many titles, Oathbinder, appears on the player character's sword in Eld Aedyran runes. But otherwise, it's clear that the main point of this trailer is to inform mass audiences that "Hey, we're making a Skyrim!". Well, we'll see where it goes. I suspect it'll be a while yet before we learn anything more about Avowed, but as always, let the drama begin.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I wonder if they will be able to properly balance a "Skyrim-like RPG". Because balance is the most important aspect in a game in the PoE setting.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
PS fags... it ain't ever coming to Dreamcast so swim in my tears.

Dunno about Nintendo... i guess they can cry wii wii wii all the way home.

Vladimuar

Savant
Dull pathos of such level has just proved to be lethal for my laptop fairy.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the trailer, also included is the face of an average codexian when he learns that Obsidian is to revisit the world of Eora, fps this time.

92PGvu4.png

aratuk

Cipher
PS fags... it ain't ever coming to Dreamcast so swim in my tears.

Dunno about Nintendo... i guess they can cry wii wii wii all the way home.

A preponderance of users exclusive to the Nintendo console are capable of breathing entirely through their noses, a trait which distinguishes them from their cousins bedeviled by corn syrup and taurine. It's a shame, as they would be the most naturally inclined toward Woedica.

roshan

Arcane
Just seems infantile. I guess video game developers just never grow up?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom