Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
giphy.gif
It's not out yet and you already came? Quite... premature

CharacterNik

Novice
I am impressed with that trailer it looks like Dead air mixed with Anomaly. I expected Metro popamole type of shit.

I still have warm feelings towards Shadow of Chernobyl.
And I still have an official cd of Stalker SoC, with that stupid copyright protection system where you need to insert a disc everytime you play the game. So me and my buddies finished it one after another.

Grigorovich just be smart and make an atmospheric shooter with deadly anomalies, dangerous mutants, anarchists and bandits...
None of them will stop Slavic people on its triumphant march towards saving the planet!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am so torn about this; the console exclusivity, UE4, the lack of ANY actual gameplay are all huge red flags

On the other hand it would really need some work to fuck up the basic Stalker gamestyle given that it will be open world, non linear, set in Chernobyl and with the same questing system from the earlier games... I mean given the popularity of current mods like Anomaly almost all of the community understand what is Stalker supposed to be like and hopefully the devs know it too

As for being designed with gamepad controls I really don’t worry much since games like Metro show that streamlined controls do not equal lesser experience but the modding tools are the biggest unknown right now

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Surprised that this shit haven't been posted yet lol.

What is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2?
It’s a unique blend of FPS, immersive sim and horror with a really thick atmosphere. One of the biggest open-worlds to date is yours to explore — along with an epic branching story with multiple endings.

Which platform is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 going to be released on?
The game will have a simultaneous release on PC and Xbox Series X. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will also enter Xbox Game Pass on console on day one.

Is it open-world?
Yes. The Zone in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is one of the biggest seamless open-worlds to date.

What about the story?
The game will feature an epic, non-linear story. Your choices will influence both short-term consequences and global outcomes.

When is the game out?
We are not ready to disclose the release date just yet. Please follow the official social channels of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 to receive development updates.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like as long as they keep the core gameplay the same, open world can actually work. The game was open-world as much as the devteam could make it. If they handle things sensibly this could turn out well. Sure, the engine is crap, but was the original one a masterpiece of programming? No. If its good, someone will figure out how to properly mod the badboy months down the line.

sullynathan

Arcane
Why are you guys acting like STALKER wasn't open world? Did Chernobyl stop being open world because it had 3 loading screens between 3 zones? Did the Witcher 3?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/23/stalker-2-is-coming-to-xbox-series-x/amp/

From TFA:

Both monsters and factions that inhabit the Zone are constantly interacting with each other. The previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games introduced A-Life — a living world simulating system. The reimagined version of this system, which we call A-Life 2.0, will control the state of the world and the behavior of characters and mutants, making the Zone ever-changing and truly alive. Countless events and encounters will happen every moment — even if you are not around to witness them with your own eyes.

Switching from "oh the pain" to "maybe not all is lost" mode.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Why are you guys acting like STALKER wasn't open world? Did Chernobyl stop being open world because it had 3 loading screens between 3 zones?

1. It wasn't an amusement park which "open-world" games inevitably are.
2. Things didn't actually happen the same if you weren't there. This is more significant with A-Life-heavy mods.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game has been coming too long.

No chance it’ll ever match Shadow of Chernobyl in mood or feel. Not with todays overly polished shooter gameplay that lacks all edge and grit.

But I suppose there’s enough cause to be very cautiously optimistic.

distant

Learned
Cautiously optimistic for this, lack of easy modding is a bummer but hopefully under Microsoft there will be some quality control so that it doesn't come out broken (working under a new engine). I think they are calling it open world to reinforce the fact that it's going to be faithful to the originals as opposed to the linear corridors of Metro? Not sure how that's cause for concern.

The foundation is already there, just release another STALKER game that's faithful to the original series and it's gonna be awesome.

JDR13

Arcane
I already played this. It was pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom