Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Does anybody know if the rumoured UI changes for the PC version are real, or just someone's fantasies?

Erikkolai

Learned
Finished my 1st playthrough today. Fantastic experience, loved both the gameplay and the story/lore. Trying to figure out all the mysteries was very engaging.

Now that the "good guy playthrough" is over with, I'll start planning a 2nd playthrough as my favorite alignment (LE). Thankfully this game seems to have great options for "sensible evil" characters, as opposed to the cackling puppy-kicking evil of the Baldur's Gate series (which seems mostly represented by CE in PKM). Will do Hard difficulty this time, now that I've learned the mechanics, time management, etc.

A couple of pet peeves (spoiler):

• As a stern "law & order" character (LN at the time), I wanted to execute Tristian for treason. But I felt forced to forgive him, since I didn't have anyone else to appoint as Councilor. The only other people for that role were the Surtova envoy (unavailable) and the degenerate Lamashtu monster orgy chick (killed). I wish the advisor appointments were more flexible. I'll plan my 2nd run more carefully, to avoid painting myself into a corner like this.
  • Since our chronicler (Linzi) is such an essential character, I wish she had been designed as a more rational and "neutral" kind of character that could fit into any kind of party. She was very aggravating on my LN/LG playthrough, and will stick out like a sore thumb on my LE playthrough. Unless the devs have inserted some alternate "evil way of dealing with her" (doubtful).

Some thoughts and unanswered questions (major spoilers) - only bother reading if you're a storyfag:

1) Nyrissa and her many servants spent thousands of years combing the Stolen Lands for the Briar. Tartuccio located it in a few weeks. Either I'm missing something, or he was one seriously brilliant or lucky gnome.

2) After we killed Tartuccio (at the Sycamore Caves), a ghostly shape resurrected him as Tartuk. Do we know who that was, and for what purpose? My theory is that it was one of Nyrissa's servants, because she wanted Tartuk to build a kingdom (Trobold) for her to ruin. Maybe I'll be able to tell who it was on my 2nd playthrough.

3) The entire House Rogorvia (which used to rule Brevoy) suddenly "disappeared" around 200 years ago. At first I thought Vordakai was responsible, because something similar happened to Varnhold (caused by Oculus mind domination). But I think Vordakai awoke very recently (when Gunderson stole an artifact from him), and I didn't find any traces of House Rogarvia in his tomb. Do we know how House Rogarvia disappeared? It might be that someone cursed them to disappear, and the curse was "empowered" like some of the other curses in the Stolen Lands, though the other incidents of "empowered curses" were on a much smaller scale...

4) I thought for sure I'd be able to find Vordakai's phylactery and break it, at some point. But I never found it. Instead, Vordakai died when I released Maegar's soul. Seems weird. I assume Vordakai had his phylactery hidden elsewhere, but how come he 'died' when Maegar was released? Maybe I missed something.

5) The barrier between the First World and the Stolen Lands is very thin, and the bloom allows fey to remain immortal while in the Stolen Lands. Was this a consequence of Nyrissa being cursed (she was "Guardian of the Bloom", and I assume she became a fallen guardian), or was the Stolen Lands like that before her arrival?

6) The Storyteller told a tale called "The Thief of Secrets", about a thief who stole secrets to make them them public. She stole an secret artifact from a wizard, but when she realized what the secret was, she dedicated her life to keeping it secret (hiding it deep in a dungeon). Do we know what that artifact/secret was?

7) What powers did the Briar have? When the Naga used it on Baron Drelev, it seemingly turned him into an empty husk of a man, and it made the Naga (who wielded it) fall in love with Irovetti. Drelev was easily healed, and then fell in love with some normie chick (IIRC). If it makes anyone who comes in contact with it fall in love (which would makes sense since it's created from Nyrissa's soul/love), I don't get what happened to Drelev at first (why he lost his will to live).

8) When Nyrissa finally obtained the lost part of her soul (the Briar) she didn't really seem to do anything with it? I guess we can assume that she tried to "merge" with it but failed since the curse was still active at that point. Maybe this is something I'll learn about if I ever go for the "Nyrissa love" ending...

9) At the location where we first met Evindra (and found the corpses of Irovetti's hostages), there was a gnome called "Gardener" who attacked us on sight. We could ask Evindra about him. I think she mostly avoided the question but said Irovetti exploits the Gardener's love for her. Was that a significant character somehow? Or maybe just a random minion whom Irovetti allowed to fuck Evindra in payment for something?

10) Why did the Defaced Sisters send Fake Armag to reunite with 'his' soul in the sword Ovinrbaane? Did they knowingly send him to his doom, because they wanted him out of the picture for some reason? Maybe they hoped he'd somehow dominate Historical Armag and use his power to crush Brevoy for Nyrissa?

11) I held on to "Stag Lord's Broken Charm" throughout the game, in case it would prove useful. I never found a use for it though. Some online sources say it'll be useful, but perhaps they mistook it for the Nymph's Gift (which I did find a use for). Did any of you use the Stag Lord's charm for anything?

12) At Nyrissa's lair in the Stolen Lands (Verdant Chambers, where Fake Armag grew up), there's a section with prison cells. One of the cells had a magical circle that had recently been broken/smudged. There was a letter nearby which mentioned protective wards, and a prisoner whose evil might re-incarnate elsewhere if they were killed. Do we know anything more about who that prisoner was? Got the impression that they escaped the cells. Sounds like it might've been a fey.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You can also hire an NPC and then assign that one as advisor. They get a penalty to all advisor checks but you can min max the stat for that advisor position so penalty is a bit less.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Some thoughts and unanswered questions (major spoilers) - only bother reading if you're a storyfag:
So this is this where I admit I really am a storyfag? So be it.

1) Nyrissa and her many servants spent thousands of years combing the Stolen Lands for the Briar. Tartuccio located it in a few weeks. Either I'm missing something, or he was one seriously brilliant or lucky gnome.
The Lantern King was a prankster, but not an idiot. Nyrissa and her Fey servants are physically incapable of finding the Briar. (Of course he didn't tell her that). This is why she was forced to work through mortal agents. Tartuccio was just the first to look in the right place.

2) After we killed Tartuccio (at the Sycamore Caves), a ghostly shape resurrected him as Tartuk. Do we know who that was, and for what purpose? My theory is that it was one of Nyrissa's servants, because she wanted Tartuk to build a kingdom (Trobold) for her to ruin. Maybe I'll be able to tell who it was on my 2nd playthrough.
He has the same voice as the Lantern King. Draw your own conclusions.

3) The entire House Rogorvia (which used to rule Brevoy) suddenly "disappeared" around 200 years ago. At first I thought Vordakai was responsible, because something similar happened to Varnhold (caused by Oculus mind domination). But I think Vordakai awoke very recently (when Gunderson stole an artifact from him), and I didn't find any traces of House Rogarvia in his tomb. Do we know how House Rogarvia disappeared? It might be that someone cursed them to disappear, and the curse was "empowered" like some of the other curses in the Stolen Lands, though the other incidents of "empowered curses" were on a much smaller scale...
This is one of the setting's open questions. Vordakai woke up
the moment Gunderson stole his ring
This happens during chapter 2 or 3 of the main campaign, certainly not far enough back to be responsible. And while the Stolen Lands empower curses, Brevoy proper is not part of the Stolen Lands. Otherwise they would be Brevoy's Lands instead of Stolen.

4) I thought for sure I'd be able to find Vordakai's phylactery and break it, at some point. But I never found it. Instead, Vordakai died when I released Maegar's soul. Seems weird. I assume Vordakai had his phylactery hidden elsewhere, but how come he 'died' when Maegar was released? Maybe I missed something.
I mentioned it in my previous post explaining the differences between game and tabletop. In the tabletop, the DM knows Vordakai has atrophied from his long slumber, and his phylactery is no longer functional. In the game you can assume he made Varn's body into a pseudo-phylactery.

5) The barrier between the First World and the Stolen Lands is very thin, and the bloom allows fey to remain immortal while in the Stolen Lands. Was this a consequence of Nyrissa being cursed (she was "Guardian of the Bloom", and I assume she became a fallen guardian), or was the Stolen Lands like that before her arrival?
I don't remember it being explained whether she became interested in the Stolen Lands because they were weird, or they became weird because she became interested in them. Chicken and egg situation as far as I'm concerned.

6) The Storyteller told a tale called "The Thief of Secrets", about a thief who stole secrets to make them them public. She stole an secret artifact from a wizard, but when she realized what the secret was, she dedicated her life to keeping it secret (hiding it deep in a dungeon). Do we know what that artifact/secret was?
No idea.

7) What powers did the Briar have? When the Naga used it on Baron Drelev, it seemingly turned him into an empty husk of a man, and it made the Naga (who wielded it) fall in love with Irovetti. Drelev was easily healed, and then fell in love with some normie chick (IIRC). If it makes anyone who comes in contact with it fall in love (which would makes sense since it's created from Nyrissa's soul/love), I don't get what happened to Drelev at first (why he lost his will to live).
In the game the Briar is Nyrissa's heart, in the mythical sense. It contains all her emotions. The Naga got zapped with Love. Drelev got Despair. It's apparently random.

Fairly different from the tabletop.

8) When Nyrissa finally obtained the lost part of her soul (the Briar) she didn't really seem to do anything with it? I guess we can assume that she tried to "merge" with it but failed since the curse was still active at that point. Maybe this is something I'll learn about if I ever go for the "Nyrissa love" ending...
She cannot reclaim her heart by force. It has to be freely given and accepted. And yes, you'll learn more in her ending. I just wish she'd accept without having to marry her.

9) At the location where we first met Evindra (and found the corpses of Irovetti's hostages), there was a gnome called "Gardener" who attacked us on sight. We could ask Evindra about him. I think she mostly avoided the question but said Irovetti exploits the Gardener's love for her. Was that a significant character somehow? Or maybe just a random minion whom Irovetti allowed to fuck Evindra in payment for something?
Vestigial remains from tabletop. In there, Evindra was not Nyrissa's sister, but the Briar's guardian. The combination of the Briar and the nymph made the area EXTREMELY fertile, and the monastery was built around her. The monks made famous wine with the grapes grown in this place, and kept the nymph's secret in return. The Gardener was a monk who fell in love with her and massacred the monastery in jealousy. Years later, after it'd been long abandoned, Irovetti found the Gardener, killed him and took Briar from his corpse. But the Gardener had been cursed, naturally, and rose as a ghost. His ghost is the boss encounter of the area when the players explore it.

10) Why did the Defaced Sisters send Fake Armag to reunite with 'his' soul in the sword Ovinrbaane? Did they knowingly send him to his doom, because they wanted him out of the picture for some reason? Maybe they hoped he'd somehow dominate Historical Armag and use his power to crush Brevoy for Nyrissa?
They didn't exactly care about his wellbeing. Whatever emerged from there, either Real Armag possessing the Fake's body, or the Fake dominating the Real's will, it'd be a stronger force of destruction. Real Armag was a conqueror, their interests were aligned.

11) I held on to "Stag Lord's Broken Charm" throughout the game, in case it would prove useful. I never found a use for it though. Some online sources say it'll be useful, but perhaps they mistook it for the Nymph's Gift (which I did find a use for). Did any of you use the Stag Lord's charm for anything?
Much like the Golden Frog and his lieutenant's wooden toys, I didn't find a use for it. They may have planned something that was cut later on.

12) At Nyrissa's lair in the Stolen Lands (Verdant Chambers, where Fake Armag grew up), there's a section with prison cells. One of the cells had a magical circle that had recently been broken/smudged. There was a letter nearby which mentioned protective wards, and a prisoner whose evil might re-incarnate elsewhere if they were killed. Do we know anything more about who that prisoner was? Got the impression that they escaped the cells. Sounds like it might've been a fey.
I don't remember that at all. Sorry I can't help.

Erikkolai

Learned

The Lantern King was a prankster, but not an idiot. Nyrissa and her Fey servants are physically incapable of finding the Briar. (Of course he didn't tell her that). This is why she was forced to work through mortal agents. Tartuccio was just the first to look in the right place.

This happens during chapter 2 or 3 of the main campaign, certainly not far enough back to be responsible. And while the Stolen Lands empower curses, Brevoy proper is not part of the Stolen Lands. Otherwise they would be Brevoy's Lands instead of Stolen.

I mentioned it in my previous post explaining the differences between game and tabletop. In the tabletop, the DM knows Vordakai has atrophied from his long slumber, and his phylactery is no longer functional. In the game you can assume he made Varn's body into a pseudo-phylactery.

I don't remember it being explained whether she became interested in the Stolen Lands because they were weird, or they became weird because she became interested in them. Chicken and egg situation as far as I'm concerned.

No idea.

In the game the Briar is Nyrissa's heart, in the mythical sense. It contains all her emotions. The Naga got zapped with Love. Drelev got Despair. It's apparently random.

She cannot reclaim her heart by force. It has to be freely given and accepted. And yes, you'll learn more in her ending. I just wish she'd accept without having to marry her.

Vestigial remains from tabletop. In there, Evindra was not Nyrissa's sister, but the Briar's guardian. The combination of the Briar and the nymph made the area EXTREMELY fertile, and the monastery was built around her. The monks made famous wine with the grapes grown in this place, and kept the nymph's secret in return. The Gardener was a monk who fell in love with her and massacred the monastery in jealousy. Years later, after it'd been long abandoned, Irovetti found the Gardener, killed him and took Briar from his corpse. But the Gardener had been cursed, naturally, and rose as a ghost. His ghost is the boss encounter of the area when the players explore it.

They didn't exactly care about his wellbeing. Whatever emerged from there, either Real Armag possessing the Fake's body, or the Fake dominating the Real's will, it'd be a stronger force of destruction. Real Armag was a conqueror, their interests were aligned.

Much like the Golden Frog and his lieutenant's wooden toys, I didn't find a use for it. They may have planned something that was cut later on.

Couldn't have hoped for a better reply. Very insightful, answered nearly all my questions, thanks. :salute:

I did miss out on the Varnhold DLC. I've got it, but didn't realize it was meant to be played via import/export in the middle of the OC.

ArchAngel

Arcane

No idea.

Couldn't have hoped for a better reply. Very insightful, answered nearly all my questions, thanks. :salute:

I did miss out on the Varnhold DLC. I've got it, but didn't realize it was meant to be played via import/export in the middle of the OC.
The last question. Is that the circle of candles stuff?

Erikkolai

Learned

No idea.

Yes, around the southwestern part of the Verdant Chambers. There's several open prison cells, one with a magic circle you can inspect. I think the letter that mentioned the "reincarnating evil" was found there as well.

They almost certainly kept a fey imprisoned within that circle, since fey reincarnate in the First World if they die within the Stolen Lands. I'm curious if it was someone we know.

Erikkolai

Learned

No idea.

Yes, around the southwestern part of the Verdant Chambers. There's several open prison cells, one with a magic circle you can inspect. I think the letter that mentioned the "reincarnating evil" was found there as well.

They almost certainly kept a fey imprisoned within that circle, since fey reincarnate in the First World if they die within the Stolen Lands. I'm curious if it was someone we know.

Here's the note I was referring to:

Annotation-2020-07-24-011542.png

It seems highly unlikely that the Defaced Sisters would have a Guard Captain and Wardens at the Verdant Chambers, or formulate letters in such a way. But if you inspect the magical circle within the cell, I think it says that the circle had very recently been breached. Maybe the Verdant Chambers used to be some kind of militia outpost, and whatever was imprisoned there remained imprisoned when Nyrissa claimed the area.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

No idea.

It seems highly unlikely that the Defaced Sisters would have a Guard Captain and Wardens at the Verdant Chambers, or formulate letters in such a way. But if you inspect the magical circle within the cell, I think it says that the circle had very recently been breached. Maybe the Verdant Chambers used to be some kind of militia outpost, and whatever was imprisoned there remained imprisoned when Nyrissa claimed the area.

If you light the candles in the correct order you summon a demon or something? Feel like there were clues to correct order but cannot remember.

cruelio

Savant
Did they mention removing at least half of the trash mobs in the game or are they subtly trying to kill anyone with old age who actually tries to complete this turn based

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Judging by the stream, the new interface is kind of ugly and strongly caters to consoles. I wonder if it would be possible to keep the old one on a PC without a controller...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did they mention removing at least half of the trash mobs in the game or are they subtly trying to kill anyone with old age who actually tries to complete this turn based
As a guy that played the whole game with tb mod it is not as bad as you think.

ArchAngel

Arcane

No idea.

If you light the candles in the correct order you summon a demon or something? Feel like there were clues to correct order but cannot remember.
If I remember right you need to turn off all candles to release the demon so you can fight him.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, I an re playing teh game, recently finished the Pitax tournament but the quest to enter the dreams of the Nymph din't triggered. Did the game bugged?

purpleblob

Savant
Guys, I an re playing teh game, recently finished the Pitax tournament but the quest to enter the dreams of the Nymph din't triggered. Did the game bugged?

It might take some more time to trigger it - IIRC it triggers when Pitax start attacking your kingdom (or once you deal with them even).

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is it me or is Kingmaker just a shitty hack'n slash in D&D setting with a cringy story?
Have you played on challenging or insane? It's not a hack 'n slash whatsoever. Story is kind of meh, but I've not beat it yet to properly give it a good review. I got to the Orc Fortress or whatever those big guys were.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, I an trying to lift the Lanter King curse but apparently an doing no progress after the OIeg's Trading Post. Killed all cyclops on Varnhold... Nothing. Killed all trolls on Trobold = Nothing. Cleared Lamashtu shrine = nothing. What i need to do? I still can only use tier 2 spells and if wasen't by kineticists, i would't be able to kill anything. I an felling completely useless like playing nwn2 as a caster without installing spell fixes.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guys, I an trying to lift the Lanter King curse but apparently an doing no progress after the OIeg's Trading Post. Killed all cyclops on Varnhold... Nothing. Killed all trolls on Trobold = Nothing. Cleared Lamashtu shrine = nothing. What i need to do? I still can only use tier 2 spells and if wasen't by kineticists, i would't be able to kill anything. I an felling completely useless like playing nwn2 as a caster without installing spell fixes.
Every area you clear lifts the curse by a little bit. Once you clear every single area, you are back to full power.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Every area you clear lifts the curse by a little bit. Once you clear every single area, you are back to full power.

I know. I cleared 4 areas but only got the curse lifted by 1/4. So I had to re load a old save and apparently fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom