Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then again the cinematic game genre has progressed a ton and this remaster might look a bit dated compared to the technical marvels like TLoU etc.
True, and I'm guessing this is the point of the remaster. I just wonder how far they will go in altering things.

So you want another Mafia 2, where there are few shootouts throughout entire game and the rest is filled with you doing trivial boring shit?
The prison time was a walking sim for the most part, no doubt about it, but the Joe shootout at the observatory was the single most boring part of the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Then again the cinematic game genre has progressed a ton and this remaster might look a bit dated compared to the technical marvels like TLoU etc.
True, and I'm guessing this is the point of the remaster.

Yeah but Hangar didn't have a 1000 people working on it for 7 years like TLoU2 or RDR2 so it's inevitably gonna look worse and people will inevitably bitch about VO and animations, especially journos who are always all about games that are short, linear, easy and bursting with production values.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why care about the journos? They will bitch anyway - the main character is a white man, not a crippled transgender nigress.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This is pretty much how I remember the original, the only difference being those shootouts lasted for-fucking-ever and had poor checkpoint placement.
The only reason I can think for this is that you died a lot, as many if not most of the shootouts were against a handful of guys and not all that long. Admittedly the body count of Mafia 1 would still make Tommy Angelo one of the most prolific killers in the history of mankind, but for a game where shooting is one of the main components the amount of corpses was relatively low.

If they have cut down on the stretched out gunfights vs scores of enemies, and added an accent on the movie-like moments, it might turn out better than the original. I always wanted to explore the characters more and was bored by the shooting parts.
I'm not sure what you're expecting. They're inevitably going to implement a cover system with gamepad-friendly two-button combat, and it will be boring. I see no realistic way around that whatsoever. As a result the number of enemies will also probably multiply from the original, since adding waves and waves of enemies is the only way to make that kind of combat remotely challenging. Mafia 2 was already utterly ridiculous in this regard, for example making you gun down an entire state's worth of cops in one of the first missions without anyone caring at all.

Not that I'd like to see them cut down the gunfights anyway since they were by far the best part of the original gameplay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only reason I can think for this is that you died a lot, as many if not most of the shootouts were against a handful of guys and not all that long. Admittedly the body count of Mafia 1 would still make Tommy Angelo one of the most prolific killers in the history of mankind, but for a game where shooting is one of the main components the amount of corpses was relatively low.

It was a decade ago, but all I remember is getting sniped from around corners and having to repeat a ton of shit to get back to where I was. It took everything I had not to rage quit. I'm sure the fights felt longer because of that, yes. Either way I think the point stands... that game had tons of story, was all about immersion, and had you do "random shit" all the time. So his attack on Mafia 2 for that is kind of nonsensical, if he liked the original.

Quillon

Arcane
Nice gfx, generic meh gunplay, shit choice of actor(voice and model) for Tommy(I don't remember many other characters to be able to judge), standard walking is weird in that mission when he's supposed to be investigating/expecting trouble. Plus the mission felt nothing alike the original; I remember heavy rain sounds, woods creaking and imminent shotgunned to oblivion danger behind every corner/door from the original, don't remember multiple huge gunfights... maybe I forgot.

Lemming42

Arcane
Looks about exactly as expected. I like that they kept the fucking awful truck escape sequence at the end, which was pure dogshit in the original and looks like pure dogshit now. They do seem to have added a few extra enemies to make the shootouts more EPIC. I wonder how the parking lot shootout in Great Deal! will be in the remake. Probably every adult male in the USA shows up.

It's interesting to think about the way game mechanics have changed since the original game. Like Quillon said, the original A Trip To The Country was tense because of the instakill shotgunners lurking around every corner. You probably couldn't really recreate the original shit-your-pants scary shotgun ambushes in a modern engine, which is a shame - player movement is different, combat is about use of cover, gunplay is different, etc. With how slick everything is in a modern cover shooter, everythings too easy, everyone goes down too fast, the player can pull off ridiculous accomplishments in acrobatics (see the way in that video that Tommy pops out of cover, fires a shotgun, and pops back down into cover at the fucking speed of light) and become invincible by just magnetising to cover. Compare that to the original where Tommy moves like an obese toddler, taking cover means actually physically running up to it and crouching, there's no peeking around corners, and gunplay is far less "smooth". The dev's narration about how "we wanted every fight to be life-and-death" accompanied by footage of Tommy prancing from cover to cover, unaffected by bullets thanks to cover-imbued godmode, made me laugh.

Tommy actually sounds more ganster than Paulie now, haha. In fact, new Paulie sounds like some fucking soyboy. They just had to change the look of every single character and rewrite every single line of dialogue it seems. "Definitive edition", what a bunch of cunts.

Last edited:

Big No

Novice
Ah yes, as we all know the mafia typically sends an armored APC to go kill a delivery truck with three guys in it. Totally reasonable and not to create an mindless action-setpiece.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tommy actually sounds more ganster than Paulie now, haha. In fact, new Paulie sounds like some fucking soyboy.

This. Don't get the bitching about Tommy. Standard nostalgiafaggotry I'm guessing. New Tommy VO is actually great but Paulie is fucking awful. Goddamn, they have massacred my boy here.

As for being hyped or not - original Mafia was all about slowly pulling you in through vibe, writing and characters. Nobody would be hyped by a 30 mins gameplay video back then either. The real question is whether or not the story and the 2002 style of narrative aged well or not.

Quillon

Arcane
This is a remake, they should be faithful to the original. Tommy got pulled into the life, he wasn't some wannabe gangster hence his VO was the subtler one. Also even Mafia 2 was faithful to his character model.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This is a remake, they should be faithful to the original. Tommy got pulled into the life, he wasn't some wannabe gangster hence his VO was the subtler one. Also even Mafia 2 was faithful to his character model.
Yeah. Tommy in the original sounded like a regular, likeable guy, which provided a nice contrast with the older, more assertive Paulie and Sam. The choice of VA pretty much turns that dynamic on its head. I guess that could work if Tommy didn't sound so damn generic, but it still feels like an odd change to make.

Voice acting aside, the game looks exactly as expected. The combat system is fucked beyond all hope, and the mission is just butchered. Here's a video from the original game:

In the remake gameplay video they refer to this as "a haunted house" mission, which is kind of silly, but you can tell where they're coming from. In the original there's barely even any music there, just the sound of rain pouring down and old buildings creaking in the wind, yet they manage to create this thick, eerie atmosphere that persists throughout the mission. What a surprise that all of the subtlety is gone in the remake. When the shooting starts, it's like a fucking WW2 game where everything is loud and corpses just keep piling up. The original had a bunch of guys camping inside barns, silently waiting to blow your careless head off. I know which one I prefer.

Abhay

Augur
In the original mission, the enemies don't come out running at you like the new gameplay video suggests. I literally got jump scares in that mission back when I first played it. It seems the enemies placement has changed now. They come running at you. The element of surprise and suspense appears to have been missing. It's now like a regular shootout.

Even the molotov throwing arc is immersion breaking alongwith the obvious consolised modern day gaming features.

The visuals are spot on! Totally unexpected. I thought it would be a massive overhaul but good to see that the graphics haven't changed significantly by sacrificing the classic, old charm altogether.

The rest of the stuff hasn't left me impressed, which I had anticipated after the announcement. The modern day remakes have rarely respected the original versions w/o turning it into a different experience.

All they had to do was fix the bugs (if any) and improve the visuals instead of tweaking and changing it to make it feel like a modern game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All they had to do was fix the bugs (if any) and improve the visuals instead of tweaking and changing it to make it feel like a modern game.

I mean, of course they're going to make it a modern game. It's a remake, not a remaster. You guys always set yourselves up for disappointment by expecting shit that was never going to happen.

Abhay

Augur

I mean, of course they're going to make it a modern game. It's a remake, not a remaster. You guys always set yourselves up for disappointment by expecting shit that was never going to happen.
Not at all. I wasn't looking forward for the release anyways. Happy with the old version. Just wanted to share my views about the gameplay video.

Be it a remake or remaster, the point is that the developers seems to have changed things which were not required. There's no need to tamper with the main highlights of the original game and turn it into something that doesn't feel like playing the original game but more like a DLC pack for Mafia 3 with a new adventure, city and characters.

Will I get to enjoy the same gunplay with limited bullets, health and the reloading that didn't make Tommy feel like a Rambo all guns blazing?

If not then there was no need for the remake since the original game works absolutely fine. Even the graphics are great. Not bad at all.

It would have been a better experience had the developers simply offered a visual upgrade with certain improvements to real flaws like movement of the character, bad AI, lack of things to do in the open world and any other critical points that were raised back during the time of the release to make it worthy of purchase for old folks like me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess I just have completely different expectations for remakes. The Thing is almost a completely different movie than The Thing from Another World, and it's a great movie. It's not the same, and if you prefer 50s style to 80s style you probably prefer the original, but 80s The Thing is certifiably good at what it's doing.

This might suck of course, it looks like a pretty generic cover shooter in a graphically impressive open world. I'll play it eventually and see. But I don't think its merits are tied at all to the previous one. It should and will succeed or fail on its own merits. That was more my point.

But I don't think its merits are tied at all to the previous one. It should and will succeed or fail on its own merits. That was more my point.

Nigger they're calling it "Definitive Edition" and you're still cucking for them. B..b..but it's not supposed to be saem gaem hurr durr..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom