Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next big RPG is Avowed, a Skyrim-like set in the Pillars of Eternity universe

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
It's going to take awhile to get used to Obsidian games being Xbox exclusives.

It's Xbox & Windows 10 PC exclusive.

No PS5 means a hard pass from me. I only play console games on the best console.
No windows 7 means a hard pass from me. I only play pc games on good OS.

What's the whole fuss about W10 exclusivity suddenly? I was curious and I wanted to kill some time with Death Stranding but Mr Kojima wants me to upgrade my OS to play his abomination. Hopefully CDPR don't do the same thing with their game.

Dragon

Augur
What's the whole fuss about W10 exclusivity suddenly? I was curious and I wanted to kill some time with Death Stranding but Mr Kojima wants me to upgrade my OS to play his abomination. Hopefully CDPR don't do the same thing with their game.

Maybe this ? :

DirectX 12 Ultimate
Microsoft revealed DirectX 12 Ultimate in March 2020. DirectX 12 Ultimate will unify common library on both Windows 10 computers and on the Xbox Series X and other fourth-generation Xbox consoles. Among new features in Ultimate includes DirectX Raytracing 1.1, Variable Rate Shading which gives programmers control over the level of detail of shading depending on design choices, Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_12

Edit PS : it's ok to switch to Windows 10 now, on steam stats, 87% are on win10 64 bits, you know ? And it's fairly tweakable now.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Edit PS : it's ok to switch to Windows 10 now, on steam stats, 87% are on win10 64 bits, you know ? And it's fairly tweakable now.
It's still a shitty OS that doesn't understand that it is a guest on my computer, and not the other way around. It just barely lets you create local accounts at this point ffs.

Dragon

Augur
It's still a shitty OS that doesn't understand that it is a guest on my computer, and not the other way around. It just barely lets you create local accounts at this point ffs.
Just hit it with a bat hard enough, and it stays humble. I have it set up exactly as I had my win7 (no Microsoft account, one local admin user, direct to desktop when booting, win7-like GUI, etc. I even have my desktop gadgets to monitor CPU and so on.). It's not in the same state as it was on release.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Just hit it with a bat hard enough, and it stays humble. I have it set up exactly as I had my win7 (no Microsoft account, one local admin user, direct to desktop when booting, win7-like GUI, etc. I even have my desktop gadgets to monitor CPU and so on.). It's not in the same state as it was on release.

Of course it's not in the same state as it was on release, but still there are many problems. Personally I'm not ready to upgrade yet, maybe in 2-3 years. Death Stranding alone is not enough to change my mind.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Tags: Avowed; Obsidian Entertainment

Feargus Urquhart has talked for years about how much he wants to make a big Skyrim-like RPG using the Pillars of Eternity setting. After Obsidian was acquired by Microsoft and hit it out of the park with The Outer Worlds, it was clear that it was only a matter of time. Behold the reveal trailer for Avowed, unveiled today at the Xbox Games Showcase:

So what can one say about this? First of all, it's notable that they're not calling it Pillars of Eternity 3 or even Pillars of Eternity: Spinoff. On its very sparse official website, the game is described only as an "epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora". It appears to be specifically set in Aedyr, on Eora's previously unseen western continent. Judging by the repeated references to vows and oaths, it sounds like the game's story will likely involve Woedica, who is that nation's patron goddess. One of her many titles, Oathbinder, appears on the player character's sword in Eld Aedyran runes. But otherwise, it's clear that the main point of this trailer is to inform mass audiences that "Hey, we're making a Skyrim!". Well, we'll see where it goes. I suspect it'll be a while yet before we learn anything more about Avowed, but as always, let the drama begin.

hold on, did that arrow fly half a mile, explode through chest plate armor and burrow into the ground?

Zeriel

Arcane
Zzzzz. I'd actually be excited about this if it were 2008-2012 era Obsidian doing an AAA game, but PoE's setting is inconceivably, unimaginably boring. I would not believe how bland it is if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Oblivion is a font of creativity and exoticism in comparison.

:cry:

TheGameSquid

Scholar
I said a few days ago that I'd probably buy a follow-up to POE2 if it moved further in the direction of that game (better turn-based combat, more focus on exploration, sticking less to pure BG1 worship).

This is not exactly what I meant though :outrage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom