Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They already "gamified" dialog in Alpha Protocol. It's a shame they haven't gone back to that since then.

To an extent, yeah. I’m not sure how the timer would fit in with a larger game (other than occasional appearance), but the tonal approach thing might be used in some manner with situations concerning persuasion, intimidation, deception, convincing, fishing for info and perhaps even haggling.

Dialog in general is mechanically pretty timid and could use some spicing up. What ever the way might be...

Naraya

Arcane
And this is the team that developed Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2.
?

For anyone hyped for this, your epic heroic high-fantasy RPG will be written and designed by these people:

D1KH5IrU8AAV1uw.jpg
<MichaelScott_NONOPLEASEGODNO.gif>

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I hope they do a game more focused on dungeoneering and expeditions, with a loose narrative where narrative and setting blends together, with some renaissance elements not just in visuals and tools but also concept of kingship. Something like dishonored, dark messiah but with exploration and dungeon delving with occasional politics.

However it will likely be another dumpsterfire, failing to make even Skyrim and proving that it wasn't easy all along.

Also Eora is a good setting, issues of storytelling and writing in general wasn't because of the setting which is its only redeeming part.

Yes fampyrs included.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"RPGs, to me, are adventurers bashing skeletons in a dungeon" - Feargus Urquhart

Looks as generic as it gets. Now we're truly Fergsidian.

It's surprising, blobbers aside, how little honest dungeon dwelling there is in first person games. If this game has a few layered and deep dungeons with skeletons, ghouls and what have you uncovering secrets and mysteries it would actually be decent. Even skyrim which is supposed to be dungeon dwelling game has very little actual dungeon dwelling

Parts of Endless paths, Skaen temple and white march dwarf stronghold in poe1 and the temple where you find Woedican paladins in Deadfire would all actually be quite fun in a first person game.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Saying it now, this will be a smallish spin off. Probably dungeon focused, action oriented, much like Dark Alliance was for Baldur's Gate. Everyone expecting Skyrim will be sorely dissapointed.

Partially agree. I'm saddened by the fact that fantasy RPG developers so rarely use dungeon-like locations nowadays. I'm not talking about action-oriented ones exclusively, but more in general.
Where are the Orzammar like towns of cultures/nations evolved to live under the ground? Where are the Zelda-like thematic dungeons of ancient civilizations? Where are the trap-filled monster populated multi-level dungeons of classic RPGs?
None of the above is contradictory to each other and they certainly aren't to the open-world design.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Outer Worlds was a commercial success and served as proof for the studio that the common crowd will buy anything if you put it in a first person perspective and try to label it as Skyrim 2 but in [setting]

It's dead, Jim.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Parts of Endless paths, Skaen temple and white march dwarf stronghold in poe1 and the temple where you find Woedican paladins in Deadfire would all actually be quite fun in a first person game.

Watcher's Keep from BG2: ToB is still my dearest memory about dungeons. Six levels of awesomeness, lots of fun with demons and wild magic areas. And fucking Demogorgon as a final boss. Amazing.

47w6exwr00951.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Outer Worlds was a commercial success and served as proof for the studio that the common crowd will buy anything if you put it in a first person perspective and try to label it as Skyrim 2 but in [setting]

It's dead, Jim.

Indeed, its beyond me how Outer worlds managed to sell more than 2 million copies.

Obsidian was coy about what the game really was, they did say (in a low key way) that people shouldn’t expect a big expansive rpg but they never outright shot down the fan notion that it would be New Vegas in Space. If you go on reddit, everyone is hyping themselves up that this will be the Skyrim killer, and that circlejerk will drive people into a frenzy and millions of copies sold.

Codex Year of the Donut

Watcher's Keep from BG2: ToB is still my dearest memory about dungeons. Six levels of awesomeness, lots of fun with demons and wild magic areas. And fucking Demogorgon as a final boss. Amazing.

47w6exwr00951.jpg
how come your screenshot has playstation buttons

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The people who keep posting International Women's Day photos from Obsidian - photos that are showing most of the female developers at Obsidian, a company with some 200 employees - don't realize that they are self-owning.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The people who keep posting International Women's Day photos from Obsidian - photos that are showing most of the female developers at Obsidian, a company with some 200 employees - don't realize that they are self-owning.
The people who don't realize that people who keep posting all-female International Women's Day photos from Obsidian do realize it's not fully representative of all Obsidian personnel and therefore they aren't self-owning are self-owning.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lore speculation on the Obsidian forums: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/115485-avowed-trailer-transcript-and-speculation/

We have always known…war.

Based on the line that follows, my guess is that this is a reference to conflicts between folk and elves prior to their joining force to become the Aedyr empire.

It forged our empire

Seems like an obvious reference to the Aedyr Empire which formed in 2399 AI, approximately 425 years prior to the events of the first Pillars of Eternity game. So, whatever setting this is, it's not more than 425 years in the past.

Turned heroes into queens and kings

And this seems like an obvious reference to the Aedyran system of government; a joint monarchy consisting of a human king and an elven queen or consort. Interesting that the queen is reference first. Could it be that our story is being told from the elves' perspective?

And decimated our foes

This is where I start to get stuck. Obviously, the annals of Aedryan history are still largely unknown to us, but the next major conflict that we know about after the formation of the empire is related to adventures in colonialism. This could be a throw-away line, but I doubt they would include throw-away lines in a world premier trailer. Remains to be seen if these referenced-but-undocumented conflicts are important to our story. Or maybe I'm too narrowly focused on Aedryan history to see the context.

Now our oaths are lost - forsaken

And you must face the monsters

…our sins have born

Obvious Woedica all over this.

So, after animancy was discovered in Aedyr, it almost as quickly became outlawed by church of Woedica and the monarchy. My guess is that our narrator is referencing some event where overzealous Aedyrans decided that this rule didn't apply to them and opted to study animancy anyway. Hence the skeletons and flaming arrows, etc etc.

Is an oath worth the weight of a crown?

These rebellious Aedryans broke the oath not to study animancy because they wanted a shot at their own kingdom???

That's all I got folks. Your turn!

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
There are good female writers in the game industry. The question is, how many of them work at Obsidian? The Outer Worlds left me pretty disappointed with the story. It was too front-loaded. We knew before the game started that it was supposedly a satire on corporate overlords, but they laid it on so thick, it lost any power to act as a commentary. This is a fairly amateurish mistake. One comes away with the feeling that nobody is driving the story-boat over there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not surprised at all, they (Feargus) wanted to do it for ages. Not interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom