Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
yeah, the RPG CODEX GOTY as run by feel-a-pee-pee is basically a russian 'election' lots of tampering.

we need voter IDs

V_K

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I never even considered Disco Elysium to be an RPG, rather an adventure game with some RPG mechanics mixed in. This isn't a criticism, mind you, just an observation.

Please stop trying to push that thing into the Adventure game genre.
Yes. I'll just repost the link to this educational thread again: Can we please stop calling RPGs without gameplay Adventures?

You're right. I should be instead calling Disco Elysium a Visual Novel with RPG Elements, I suppose.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never even considered Disco Elysium to be an RPG, rather an adventure game with some RPG mechanics mixed in. This isn't a criticism, mind you, just an observation.

Yes. I'll just repost the link to this educational thread again: Can we please stop calling RPGs without gameplay Adventures?

You're right. I should be instead calling Disco Elysium a Visual Novel with RPG Elements, I suppose.

Please let's not insult Visual Novels like this..

Alex

Arcane

Please let's not insult Visual Novels like this..

Well, it is not unfair, I mean, visual novels don't really have any gameplay, they are just story books with a weird formatting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've yet to play the game. I'm still totally undecided about it, and haven't particularly been influenced one way or the other ("overrated visual novel" vs. "actual RPG").

However, even random yahoos reviewing the game on GOG claim that the replay value is limited, and that it becomes clear upon attempting a replay that you were actually on rails and that the consequences of your choices were largely immaterial. A lot of them don't know there's a term of art called "choices and consequences" that grognards use, but that (or rather, the lack thereof) is what they're describing.

That is my #1 concern at this time.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've yet to play the game. I'm still totally undecided about it, and haven't particularly been influenced one way or the other ("overrated visual novel" vs. "actual RPG").

However, even random yahoos reviewing the game on GOG claim that the replay value is limited, and that it becomes clear upon attempting a replay that you were actually on rails and that the consequences of your choices were largely immaterial. A lot of them don't know there's a term of art called "choices and consequences" that grognards use, but that (or rather, the lack thereof) is what they're describing.

That is my #1 concern at this time.
Replayability is limited, but there still is a decent amount of choice and consequence. By that I mean, there are meaningful choices with real consequences, but you're not really given much of an incentive to replay the game since you'll know what the alternative choice/failure state would have been by the time you complete the game, for most options anyway. There are exceptions of course and some really cool/mysterious things that you could definitely miss on your first play through, but I'd still say it's not a very replayable game.

That being said though, the game itself is a 10/10 experience if you go into it blind and you will not regret it. I'll put it like this, even if Underrail only had feats and skills that facilitated playing through the game using one specific kind of build with only minor variation available, your first play through of the entire game would still be amazing.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
That being said though, the game itself is a 10/10 experience if you go into it blind and you will not regret it.
Overrated hunk of shit that got boring and stale fast. Fails as a detective story, fails as an RPG. Wins big league at impressing the pretentious that want to pretend it's an amazing work of art, 10/10.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
That being said though, the game itself is a 10/10 experience if you go into it blind and you will not regret it.
Overrated hunk of shit that got boring and stale fast. Fails as a detective story, fails as an RPG. Wins big league at impressing the pretentious that want to pretend it's an amazing work of art, 10/10.
Nah, I'm not sitting here and praising it like ZA/UM are the second coming of Michelangelo, but it was a good game. As for you calling it boring, I must ask, did you enjoy Fallout: New Vegas?

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Nah, I'm not sitting here and praising it like ZA/UM are the second coming of Michelangelo, but it was a good game. As for you calling it boring, I must ask, did you enjoy Fallout: New Vegas?
Yes, I did. New Vegas is fun, this game, not so much.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Owlish
Just ignore that retard and newfag, he's just too stupid so a primitive game like DE is a perfect game for him. I've crushed his "arguments" (more like retarded reasoning) here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ow-isometric-rpg.130284/page-141#post-6434508
and here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...lysium-is-decline.131120/page-21#post-6484283
and as you can see discussing with him is pointless.
Nah, I'm not sitting here and praising it like ZA/UM are the second coming of Michelangelo, but it was a good game.
:hmmm:
Plus earlier he was saying
This game is fucking great
The game is amazing
the game was absolutely great
but now he's trying to change his song to "it's a good game" :D :D :D. At this rate in the next year he will agree it's a 5/10 game or worse.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Owlish
Just ignore that retard and newfag, he's just too stupid so a primitive game like DE is a perfect game for him. I've crushed his "arguments" (more like retarded reasoning) here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ow-isometric-rpg.130284/page-141#post-6434508
and here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...lysium-is-decline.131120/page-21#post-6484283
and as you can see discussing with him is pointless.
Nah, I'm not sitting here and praising it like ZA/UM are the second coming of Michelangelo, but it was a good game.
:hmmm:
Plus earlier he was saying
This game is fucking great
The game is amazing
the game was absolutely great
but now he's trying to change his song to "it's a good game" :D :D :D. At this rate in the next year he will agree it's a 5/10 game or worse.
Imagine having such a little penis you need to keep reposting the same link to beg for ratings. "DiScUsSiNg WiTh HiM iS pOiNtLeSs", at this point I feel like I'm repeatedly pushing the retarded kid off the swing. Please stop posting, god can only forgive me for so much.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Imagine having such a little penis you need to keep reposting the same link to beg for ratings. "DiScUsSiNg WiTh HiM iS pOiNtLeSs", at this point I feel like I'm repeatedly pushing the retarded kid off the swing. Please stop posting, god can only forgive me for so much.
:D :D :D
Perfect example of a projection. It is you who care about ratings (proof below), I'm posting links to the discussion to substantiate what I've said. Otherwise I'm just another codexer calling someone a retard. If anything I gather more negative ratings than positive ones since there are more DE fanboys in this thread than normal people.
Nigga what? The ratings to your supposed "counter"
View attachment 12167
versus the ratings to my supposed nonsense,
View attachment 12168
The two retards are from you and FTR (lmao, an even more pitiful individual if there ever was one). Your response didn't crush anything.
:D :D :D
This faggot is judging quality of a post by ratings and he has the audacity to say that I care about ratings even though it's his problem. You sink even lower with every post :D.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Hi guys in this thread I just dropped by to remind you that Disco is awesome and Codex GOTY 2019.
disco.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
I'm posting links to the discussion to substantiate what I've said. Otherwise I'm just another codexer calling someone a retard.
Does it make any difference though?

Each time I see someone bumping Disco threads in this fashion I can't help but think he's doing basically this:

97-974616_troll-face-meme-angry-happy-mad-mask-fake.png
I mean, it does take a special kind of person to do that.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I mean, it does take a special kind of person to do that.
It's funny that most DE apologists are users with account from 2018 or later (Prime Junta and Haba being one of the few exceptions).

Viata's post was the first unread message in this thread and when I've seen it I just couldn't help myself, especially considering that this game got Codex GOTY 2019 "award". I couldn't help myself because there were quite a few people who were impressed by the game at the start, buying the PR lies fanboys and DE developers have produced. Viata hoping that this:
Newfags reveal themselves when unable to recognize pure incline without browsing Codex top 70 list. More news at 11.
For some reason it's praised here
It's leftist propaganda, I'll give you three guesses as to why.
If you need help, take a closer look at most of the people praising it.
QFT, I've barely started the game and I'm being bombarded with shit like this:

td2U0Ax.jpg

If they're making characters called "racist lorry driver" and then write retarded dialogue like this you would have to be retarded to not agree with rusty_shackleford. People, who aren't racist BTW (and not just because race <> nationality so even the definition is wrong), don't want immigrants in their country not because of competition, which immigrants rarely pose, but because more often than not they are human trash who won't work and at best will be a burden to the civilized society and at worst they will kill, rape and rob. I would support immigration if we would get valuable people like Fabiano Caruana or Wesley So (chess grandmasters who first played for Italy/Philippines) or Elon Musk but if I would get Mbubu or Mohammad who can only shit on streets then no thank you.

Anway, regardless of my opinion on the topic our dialogue options are limited to:
1) I'm retarded racist and racism is wrong but I agree with you because I'm retarded
2) Fuck you
3) Let's change the subject

And people praise this shit? :D :D :D
had some deeper meaning and wasn't just your typical SJWism made me chuckle and I was really curious what he thought when he realized just that. Simple as that. It's not my fault that fanboys immediately gathered instead of letting this thread rest after my question had been answered.

Anyway, it was like that with every post where someone would criticize DE. For every post criticizing this overrated game there were a dozen where DE apologists were trying to drown such posts in the flood of their praising. E.g. my point about stats not mattering turned out to be 100% true. It didn't stop dozens of DE fanboys claiming it's just a cherry picked example (it wasn't, that didn't stop DE fanboys from lying though):
So I've been reading here that dialogues here are top notch and it's a true RPG™, where stats matter and the world and NPC react to our choices in a significant way and it basically being next Torment or Age of Decadence. So I've run a little test and I've created a COMPLETELY different character with COMPLETELY different stats and what do you know, everything is basically the same. In my case it's especially noticeable because my initial character has INT at 5 and a logic signature (and yet his responses where nothing BUT logical, e.g. the conversation with the supposed racist) and my second has 1 INT (lol) and 5 PSY and responses for the most part are completely the same. There are some differences of course but in the end only labels change because we're progressing in the same fashion, it's just that a different skill is our motor (which in practical sense makes no difference). How come someone with 1 INT can articulate the same response as someone with 5 INT is just beyond me, that's like Bethesda level of design.

Compare:

5 INT character said:
VS
1 INT character said:
Shit tier level.

First time someone uses protagonist's real name and no reaction (later only mild reaction and retarded question who he might have in mind even though I supposedly have 5 INT, lol) but when someone farts he immediately thinks about fume hood:
Same thing happened when I've mentioned about invisible walls being everywhere against all logic:
lol
I went into the docks and now I can't get out unless I talk with Evrart. I literally have to talk to him to be able to leave, there's no other way because the exit is closed (I leaped off the railing). What's funnier is that I have 1 morale (and 2 morale charges) and the conversation with the fat guy costs me at least 3 morale no matter what :D (it's possible that I need 4 points or even more, who knows). Will have to go back and find some item that increases the morale or level up enough. Yeah, this game is so open world and has multiple solutions to a problem... Except there are invisible walls everywhere and a 2 meter gap is enough to stop us, lol. I'm playing this game for lulz now (not in a good way).
Now Prime Cunta made a retarded reply saying it was a clear 1-entry point:
So the game is challenging because you can run into progress-blocking bugs?

He rolled a 1 Volition character, then broke into the harbour using a clearly indicated one-way entry point (the jump), into a conversation with the mindfuckiest character in the game without any healing supplies or character points, didn't find a way to beat the encounter without losing Morale, died, and got into a Game Over situation because said one-way jump stopped him from getting said healing supplies. That's not a bug, that's by design.

How would you have designed that? 'Cuz I can't see any way out of it that wouldn't have effectively removed a part or all of the challenges.

(N.b.: I agree with you that the game is easy. I just find it pretty hypocritical of you to loudly complain about the easiness in one post, then loudly complain about the few instances the game presents you with an actual challenge. Almost as if you had some kind of... agenda. Heads I win, tails you lose.)
to which I've replied:
It wasn't "clearly indicated one-way entry point", there were doors there, there are cranes, plus the gap is only 2 meters but for some reason it becomes a barrier impossible to overcome. Why would anyone think that jumping through the railing is the only way when there must be another way out (and there clearly is, only the game is too retarded, I mean it's hilarious that you're imprisoned just because you can't climb a 2 meter wall or ask the fat guy to open the door for you). As for not finding a way to beat the encounter without losing morale, up to this point I didn't know that losing morale would equal game over and I just went to see the man in charge to progress the story while omitting the grinding since the game isn't that interesting. Now that I've come to a dead end I had to go about it a different way and I'm in the middle of locating my badge and gun.

As a side note, if the walrus is "the mindfuckiest character in the game" then it doesn't bode well for the game. I can see why they said Fallout was their inspiration more than P:T (Gizmo and all that) but the words he said were just "meh". There was nothing there that would convince me it could break a man, WTF would he suddenly collapse when he would mention he lost his badge and a gun when he knew that already? Why didn't he succumb earlier? Just retarded design.

And newfag Strange Fellow said:
So in your view, game design should advertise endless roleplaying possibilities! Make whatever character you want! Experiment with crazy builds! All while not bothering to test the game for progression blocking builds
It's not a question of progression blocking builds, it's a question of progression blocking boneheaded decision-making. Would you rush into a boss battle with 1 HP and no healing items?
to which I've replied:
So in your view, game design should advertise endless roleplaying possibilities! Make whatever character you want! Experiment with crazy builds! All while not bothering to test the game for progression blocking builds
It's not a question of progression blocking builds, it's a question of progression blocking boneheaded decision-making. Would you rush into a boss battle with 1 HP and no healing items?
Except in this case you can just tell this boss:

"I don't have time to fight right now. See you later."

and leave but then you're stuck there anyway. So either it's game over or you're stuck indefinitely, which in the end means the same thing. I'm all for failure but this is just retarded. Prime Cunta also assumes that once you're there you either have to have enough morale points or it's game over but it's not like that in the game. In the game we have option to talk later but in truth it's not a viable one. Clearly a bad design but you're too retarded to see such an obvious flaw.
They've tried to spin this retarded design to "you suck, get good" (and were too stupid to see how illogical these invisible walls were), even though there was nothing complicated or hard in this game.

But of course there were more such restrictions which I've mentioned in my "review":
We can't walk to the other side of the town until Wednesday, we can't progress unless Kim is with us (even though we can ask the same questions and observe the same things and his presence changes nothing we still can't advance and if we can we die because of plot reasons, e.g. when confronting a certain person that has both me and Kim under control anyway) and in general we can't do something unless we meet some stupid requirements like clicking on a "conclude day" as if that would change anything. Another example, we can't talk with "Sunday friend" once we walk out even though we know he's in there (unless he jumped through the window) because it's just a scripted scene. Or we can't play the tape unless Kim is with us. Anyway, in no other game I've felt so restrained. Even not having a flashlight prevents us from advancing in a certain area, we can't hurt ourselves trying to do it or just walk by holding our hand on the wall, developers just didn't give us that option and that's it.
So yeah...

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
There's a shitton of RPGs with very little C&C. Any Jap RPG-wannabe has zero to none C&C and still, retards insist on them being real RPGs.

Harthwain

Magister
Ah, yes. The join date. The ultimate argument. Or lack of thereof. Woe are those who didn't register in... I don't know... 2008, right? Because this matters! A lot! Because... this means they registered 11 years later! And this proves your point to be more right than my point, because seniority derived from the join date trumps all! Yeah! Logic wins again!

Viata's post was the first unread message in this thread and when I've seen it I just couldn't help myself, especially considering that this game got Codex GOTY 2019 "award". I couldn't help myself because there were quite a few people who were impressed by the game at the start, buying the PR lies fanboys and DE developers have produced.
"At the start"? "Buying the PR lies"? You make it sound like people weren't impressed AFTER playing the game to its end, which isn't true. Despite a few shortcomings this is the best cRPG of 2019 (including the Codex). It is impressive, considering we're talking about an RPG where everything boils down to pretty much reading (hence the #visual novel/#adventure game). And yet it did manage to capture the spirit of tabletop RPGs better than most cRPGs despite (or thanks to) a fairly simple system, which is even more impressive. Does that speak against Disco or in favor of it?

had some deeper meaning and wasn't just your typical SJWism made me chuckle and I was really curious what he thought when he realized just that.
"Your typical SJWism"? If anything Disco is not your typical game. But I guess you're one of "those" people.

It's not my fault that fanboys immediately gathered instead of letting this thread rest after my question had been answered.
If you bump a thread there is a chance somebody else will post in it, causing a chain reaction. If anything, your post as such was largely ignored. People focused instead on trash-talking each other about Disco being Codex's RPG of the year 2019 and a visual novel. The usual stuff.

Anyway, it was like that with every post where someone would criticize DE. For every post criticizing this overrated game there were a dozen where DE apologists were trying to drown such posts in the flood of their praising.
"Criticizing" or criticizing? Most people "where someone would criticize DE" call it "visual novel", "adventure game" or "not game". That's the extent of their criticism. So no surprise here. As for the more legitimate criticisms - when you get down to it, most people don't really defend them. Disco is great game not because it's perfect, but despite its imperfections.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Whoever's joined The Codex around Mass Effect release date is a hardcore grognard, that much is clear. Dragon Age 2 release date joiners too. Hardcore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom