Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next big RPG is Avowed, a Skyrim-like set in the Pillars of Eternity universe

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean, odds favor that either Obsidian or inXile is going to do "something" in the Shadowrun universe. Those are their in-house RPG development studios, Microsoft owns the Shadowrun video game rights, and the franchise has been pretty effectively revalued by HBS.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I can't see how this game will take place after the events of both Pillars of Eternity titles. There are so many variables concerning the gods, ESPECIALLY Woedica, that Obsidian Entertainment would be forced to choose an "official canon" to the major events of said games.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't see how this game will take place after the events of both Pillars of Eternity titles. There are so many variables concerning the gods, ESPECIALLY Woedica, that Obsidian Entertainment would be forced to choose an "official canon" to the major events of said games.

This has never actually been a problem. Just declare a canon.

Both Bethesda and Black Isle do/did this with no issues or contentions. So did Jeff Vogel and a lot of other people.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Both Bethesda and Black Isle do/did this with no issues or contentions.

Sorry, Morality Games, but what are you talking about in regards to Bethesda? There is NO canon as to the Nerevarine/Hero of Kvatch/Eternal Champion/Agent - the main protagonists of any Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim. Bethesda have been very careful to make sure not to mention anything about them, much less confirm their deeds, race, gender etc. It's why those games feel so disconnected - without references to their common mythology, they might as well take place in different settings.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's gonna be shit but i'm gonna pirate it anyway since there are basically 0 elder scrolls clones out there

Both Bethesda and Black Isle do/did this with no issues or contentions.

Sorry, Morality Games, but what are you talking about in regards to Bethesda? There is NO canon as to the Nerevarine/Hero of Kvatch/Eternal Champion/Agent - the main protagonists of any Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim. Bethesda have been very careful to make sure not to mention anything about them, much less confirm their deeds, race, gender etc. It's why those games feel so disconnected - without references to their common mythology, they might as well take place in different settings.

I never really saw it that way because until Skyrim the critical path in Elder Scrolls game were basically linear (the other variables aren't really relevant to the continuity, only that a Nerevarine existed who did X).

Still, aggressively ignoring canon is an equally effective way of resolving the issue.

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
jiDG9QU.png

Codex Year of the Donut

Both Bethesda and Black Isle do/did this with no issues or contentions. So did Jeff Vogel and a lot of other people.
Huh? Bethesda definitely doesn't. They barely reference past material beyond things that absolutely must have happened for the game to have taken place.
Although there's a heavy implication that your character from Arena is an important npc in Oblivion, that's about as close as it gets afaik.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If it had a party and turn-based mode like Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors, I might be interested. But the RT actiony stuff I just can't stand.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Huh? Bethesda definitely doesn't. They barely reference past material beyond things that absolutely must have happened for the game to have taken place.
Although there's a heavy implication that your character from Arena is an important npc in Oblivion, that's about as close as it gets afaik.

And of course the very heavy implication that the Sheogorath from Skyrim is the Hero of Kvatch mantling him, whist retaining his original memories/personality, seeing as the Sheogorath in Skyrim is much kinder than before.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I read Arrowed, instead of Avowed. But yes, we don't have a good first person TES clone from long years. And Obsidian doesn't make good classical RPG's(pillars 1/2 is just average for modern standards and bellow average if compared to infinity engine games), so i an hyped for a good TES-clone game.

Reader

Scholar
Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors, I might be interested
I actually thought that it is a dungeon crawler at first. Maybe even a decent one. But then i read this part
"epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora"
Still keep fingers crossed for dungeon crawler..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom