Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
was writing my reply thinking that you were talking about the demon in the poisonous room, but then I realized that a demon might appear also in the spiders room. Please tell me that no demon appear in the spiders room. Please.

Oh no, only a demon spawns in the gas chamber.

Something else spawns in the spiders room. :smug:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just the hardest-hitting melee enemy in the game, no problem.
(But can be beaten with a level 1 spell, thank you based D&D)

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Alongside bugfixes, point buy is most welcome for making characters in a couple of minutes, instead of mindlessly rolling - of course, using the intended maximum number of ability points per race. As is the max/partial number of hit points per level. The rest of it is just pure cheating, and sucks donkey balls.

Noddy

Augur
This junk he's added is just... If i didn't want to play the game, then i won't play the game. I don't need options in menu to help me not play it.
Even adding an extra scroll of electric sphere at the start is dumb. You can now win init cast your two scrolls of sphere, gib 4/5th of the shark encounter and effectively skip it. If anything it's deepening the problems of the game being an init reroll fest.
If Pierre doesn't want to rebalance encounters, and it seems pretty clear he doesn't, i'd much rather he held the steam release for AoC until he his next module is ready to go. Make that one less retardly difficult and have AoC as an 'expert' module or something.

"This room is full of poisonous gas, you take constitution damage every round". Well, let me cast this very high-level spell that gives immunity to ability damage. Naaaah, it doesn't work because fuck you.
That didn't work for you? :lol:
Fuck me lad.

You said before that a ranger is absolutely worthless in this game. After witnessing the things up until the realm of firey rape, I'm inclined to agree, but I wanted to ask how often can you get or buy slaying arrows after that - because with all the assorted to-hit boost perks, high DEX and shit like careful shot, you could probably get a reliable very high THC with them even against Pierre's retardo creations, no?
If the ranger has a use i thinks it's probably with a skewering bow and using all the to-hit bonuses to crit spam. No idea if this is good or not.
Even if you save the limited arrows of slaying you're gonna be getting 0% odds late anyway. Saves get really high.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you gonna make a ranged dude, which you shouldn't, it should probably be a Half-Salamander Storm Warrior with a home-made shocking burst bow.

Noddy

Augur
That's the worst build i ever heard. This man's brain is clearly suffering from PTSD, please be kind to him.

XRaIrzJ.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Why? Ranger offers nothing and the Storm Warrior gives you mad extra damage per arrow, and you are firing a lot of arrows... And Salamander extra damage applies to ranged combat.

But all ranged builds are garbage so it doesn't matter.

Like literally, what does Ranger or Fighter or anything else give a ranged character that Storm Warrior doesn't? It's full BAB so that can't be it...

In my defense, I read that build on the Discord and am simply assuming they tested it and made sure that the shocking feats work with bows.

Nevermind everything is electricity immune.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was gonna say that the few demons I've seen were electricity immune. I've only been up to the goblin king, but fire damage seems even more worthless. Seems like every goblin and his dog have rings of fire resistance.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think fighting so many enemy casters is what makes this game so hard. In D&D, the casters are balanced around having limited uses of their spells. The situation of fighting enemy casters who are at full resources, are higher level than you, and only have to survive a single battle is something that should be used sparingly.

On a related note, I looked up the Vrock in the SRD, and it's a CR 9 creature. A party of six level-7 adventurers is an effective party level of 8.2. That makes a single Vrock a challenging encounter for a group of that size and level. It's insanity to let a level 13 dude summon it to help all his buddies gang fuck you.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pierre, your module is poorly designed and not very fair or fun to play.
Pierre: Just use these +5 Swords of Instant Winning that I put into a chest next to the starting area for you to address these concerns.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of why people are complaining.

I really don't understand it. The first game had a lot of tight well designed encounters.

Noddy

Augur
Why? Ranger offers nothing and the Storm Warrior gives you mad extra damage per arrow, and you are firing a lot of arrows... And Salamander extra damage applies to ranged combat.

But all ranged builds are garbage so it doesn't matter.

Like literally, what does Ranger or Fighter or anything else give a ranged character that Storm Warrior doesn't? It's full BAB so that can't be it...

In my defense, I read that build on the Discord and am simply assuming they tested it and made sure that the shocking feats work with bows.

Yeah, discord builds mate. I don't think Salamander is gonna stack with splash (outside of the inital target) and as it's written SW bonus shouldn't either. And like you say electrical immunity everywhere.
Ranger get's the third level free action spell exploding arrow which does exactly the same thing except you can pick the damage type. Also gets +6 bonus damge and + 4 to hit over the course of the game. Greater magic arrow's DC is right on the line where it might be useful too.

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
Having seen those 'wtf' patch notes, I'm starting to get a real case of buyer's remorse about this. Was KotC1 just beginner's luck?
If he fails to improve the module, he could release just the module editor (it's good but it seems most people so far are into it for the game part) and focus on improving that instead (stuff like some sidebar for quick browsing of and better support for custom props, built-in script error finder, some more documented editor features, some script wizard/templates, a top map layer for some stuff to appear above tokens and get transparent if anyone enters under it, some better lighting support and it affecting the gameplay/concealment, etc.). I assume he won't be willing to unlock races/classes before he's done making own content (or maybe the code is too convulted for that), but the combat engine is good so it's not necessarily required to have them moddable from the get go to distract people with even more options.

Maybe then it'll first attract talented people/DMs to make some content that would then attract normal players?
Maybe he's doing that French thing where he wants you to speak to him in French only?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
was writing my reply thinking that you were talking about the demon in the poisonous room, but then I realized that a demon might appear also in the spiders room. Please tell me that no demon appear in the spiders room. Please.

Oh no, only a demon spawns in the gas chamber.

Something else spawns in the spiders room. :smug:
The demon in the gas chamber wasn't that bad, probably because he wasn't able to use efficiently his abilities. He wasted all of his AoE abilities hitting only a single character. He also basically was a single enemy, because the caster on the left can be cut off with a wall of stone and everyone else can be easily disabled with AoE stuns or blasted down.

I don't think I will ever see the enemy that spawns in the spiders room, because I don't know how to survive the motherfucking giant spider.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Just like it was in Goldbox games :incline:
The levelup should be tweaked so it can only be done in a training hall, only for seleceted classes, and bring back required training fee. And gold doesn't weigh enough.

(would be cool to have for some modules, actually).

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think I will ever see the enemy that spawns in the spiders room, because I don't know how to survive the motherfucking giant spider.
Blanket the area where she spawns with a Cleric's Silence -- Antimagic Cloud isn't as effective due to her high Concentration. Prolong killing the final spider in the initial pack to delay her spawning in, buying your party time to prepare buffs and the Silence trap. This will prevent her from instantly deleting your party with Prismatic Void, but her level 8 Silent Metamagic spells still hurt, so put up appropriate Protection from Energy spells. Feeblemind also stops her spellcasting entirely. Hope you have Mass True Seeing for your melee since I never succeeded in dispelling all her Concealment and similar buffs due to the level difference.

That said, my favourite (but entirely unreliable) way of killing her is with the Prismatic Spray's death effect. My first kill against her was in such a manner, and it felt very fitting after the hours of getting wiped by her Prismatic Voids.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The demon in the gas chamber wasn't that bad, probably because he wasn't able to use efficiently his abilities. He wasted all of his AoE abilities hitting only a single character. He also basically was a single enemy, because the caster on the left can be cut off with a wall of stone and everyone else can be easily disabled with AoE stuns or blasted down.

Beating the spider is a lot of luck, but what I did is I start moving my guys up to where she's going to spawn while whittling down the spiders. Cast widened silence where she's going to be (you do have widened silence, yes?) and try to position my fighters behind where she'll come in at. Then you've got to hit her with force cage or ectoplasmic cocoon to stop her from casting. Once you've got that you should be able to just beat her down unless she breaks out, but the odds of hitting her with cocoon are like 25%.

Mortmal

Arcane
Having seen those 'wtf' patch notes, I'm starting to get a real case of buyer's remorse about this. Was KotC1 just beginner's luck?
If he fails to improve the module, he could release just the module editor (it's good but it seems most people so far are into it for the game part) and focus on improving that instead (stuff like some sidebar for quick browsing of and better support for custom props, built-in script error finder, some more documented editor features, some script wizard/templates, a top map layer for some stuff to appear above tokens and get transparent if anyone enters under it, some better lighting support and it affecting the gameplay/concealment, etc.). I assume he won't be willing to unlock races/classes before he's done making own content (or maybe the code is too convulted for that), but the combat engine is good so it's not necessarily required to have them moddable from the get go to distract people with even more options.

Maybe then it'll first attract talented people/DMs to make some content that would then attract normal players?
Maybe he's doing that French thing where he wants you to speak to him in French only?
Wont likely attract anyone with so few people playing, that's no neverwinter community , wont ever be . I applaud you guys attempt on the editor but youth enthusiast vastly underestimate the amount of work it takes to make a good , fonctional module. Even a " simple" pen and paper campaign it takes dozen to hundreds of work hours. Now you still have to script all of it in the editor, draw the maps , import those and draw paths with the editor. Enter every creature stats, import music, design new tokens, maybe edit critters behaviors.That's a real job.
All of this to get maybe 5 brofists on the dex, if they arent too lazy that day....No it require a professional team, else it will be subpar and unsatisfying.
When i paid 65$ to get every modules i wasnt expecting to get a kit game and everything holding on the goodwill of the community, or doing it myself .The next modules better be playable and a tad more professionnal, else he will hear me , in french, and wont be disapointed.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ptain ! En te lisant on dirait que tu t'es fâché !

Il' ya peut être un peu de ça oui, une certaine irritation , on l'attends depuis longtemps ce jeu , le kickstarter on l'a tous payé un peu cher en plus je penses. Et au final un module pas équilibré, pas testé, et on va pas dire non plus que l'histoire péte trois pattes a un canard, mais ça on s'y attendait. Si la réponse aux critiques sur la difficulté c'est de mettre un editeur de stats de bourrer les persos d'autant de feats qu'on veut et mettre les stats au max, c'est quand même du gros gros foutage de gueule la, un truc comme ça, ca tue carrèment le jeu . J'attendais juste une aventure classique comme le premier , c'était pas le bout du monde . Du début jusqu'a la fin on a des CR délirants, sur 4 petites cartes, par rapport au niveau de l'équipe, monsieur ne veut pas y re toucher et nous offre un editeur de stats , du genre c'est nous qui sommes complètements con, la difficulté est parfaite. A un moment ca énerve .

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Making cheat options built-in might also be detrimental on balancing of user modules down the line. You'll have to double-check with players reporting difficulties or breezing through intended-to-be-hard encounters if they're using any cheats options (certainly to some it won't feel like cheating or something worth mentioning if the cheats are bundled with settings like game speed, tokens/sprites switch or music volume).
Yeah, this will be a problem... how do you balance gold if you don't know if the player needs gold on level up or not? Every module will have to start with a warning "play on normal, no gold on start up, 1 feat per level, etc..."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom