Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

ADL

Prophet
The gold standard should be something like Mordhau or Mountain Blade for melee combat mixed with KCD-like progression where you start off really inept and you see yourself grow in proficiency as you train up your skills. Lichdom had magic combat that felt good so I'd recommend that as a reference too.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Obsidian developing melee first person combat is also not an exciting prospect, it never is in first person games to be honest, but after outer worlds I believe that they are especially inept at developing solid action combat.
inEptile vs Obshitian, which is worse and why?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First person only? This sucks, I want to see my char.
A vanity cam is too much to hope for, but I assume they'll at least let you check yourself out in the inventory screen like in OW.

Fantasy scripts always being nothing but the latin alphabet but with different characters is pretty unimaginative.
Would you really rather have them do something wild and creative, like spell out emotional concepts with pictograms of dead animals and have no other language?

You people are wrong, KCD combat (slightly modded, see my thread) is awesome, one of the best ever. Obsidian/Bethesda can only dream of something like that. Nothing wrong with first person combat either, as long as your designers are trying to design something good.

The core problem is this: your typical Bethesda/Obsidian designer is thinking in terms of how do I design a combat system that won't drive away potential sales. So anything that's complex like KCD or Warband gets dismissed, and it's just whack/whack/static block/whack, cause any retard can do that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This one is going to suck just like The Outer Worlds did. Just make it a 3rd-person action RPG for fuck's sake.
I would rather Obsidian try and fail 100 times to make a successful "FNV-like" than disappear completely into ARPG territory. They might as well not exist at all at that point.

It's not even about FNV vs aRPG. aRPGs can be great, but you need to bring something special to the game (writing/lore for Witcha 3, combat/simulation/history for KCD, exploration/C&C for ELEX, everything for BotW). The problem with nuObsidian is they literally bring nothing to the table now. Their writing talent has fizzled out, but they have not aquired anything else to compensate, they still cannot into combat or exploration, so ... we have Outer Turds, and Outer Turds: Fantasy Edition.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Granted, the opponents don't fight back with the same weapons, but Dying Light's melee was tight.

It was very satisfying, but also very much geared for fighting zombies, and not actual thinking opponents.

Mordhau or Mountain Blade
Have very arcady melee combat,KCD has a lot better one. The problem was that you could master it too fast and end up fucking up everyone,also reposte.

Just train with whatshisface outside of the main town. Congrats, the rest of the game is now more or less a cake walk unless you 5v1 town guards.

Also hilarious that walking backwards with a bow is legitimately one of the best builds in that game.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
It's not even about FNV vs aRPG. aRPGs can be great, but you need to bring something special to the game (writing/lore for Witcha 3, combat/simulation/history for KCD, exploration/C&C for ELEX, everything for BotW). The problem with nuObsidian is they literally bring nothing to the table now. Their writing talent has fizzled out, but they have not aquired anything else to compensate, they still cannot into combat or exploration, so ... we have Outer Turds, and Outer Turds: Fantasy Edition.

IMO No game that you mentioned had reactivity from Outer Worlds. Shit like entire quests/character dialogue changing because you had a companion , exclusive dialogue options because you used a certain armor ,etc. That all goes for POE2. Feels cool to have dialogue based on your home place/race. Completed a quest in deadfire because my character was a Moon Godlike.

If they actually double down on making their game as reacity as possible , it would be really feature to them even when their writting can be hit or miss nowdays (i still need to complete TOW but i liked more than poe1).

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Fantasy scripts always being nothing but the latin alphabet but with different characters is pretty unimaginative.
It's the best way to go about it, to be honest. Takes a short time and does its job (looking nice). Whenever someone goes full autist with this and makes a 200 letter alphabet in a language he invented, it just makes me despair over how much time was wasted with such pointless bullshit instead of working on the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PoE's alphabets aren't entirely one-to-one replacements for the standard English alphabet: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/62...as-there-ever-been-an-official-writing-system

112ce7abdc7e04181f178141c095830d79af03fb.png

But the most ambitious one is definitely Kate Dollarhyde's Storm Folk conlang.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would rather Obsidian try and fail 100 times to make a successful "FNV-like" than disappear completely into ARPG territory.

And in doing so, at least try to broaden the current predictable - and rather tired - trend when it comes to systems (and gameplay) design.

I don't think the combat system - for one - needs to be "realistic" and I can handle a bit of jank. Just make it systemically interesting and fun to play.

Same thing with every other aspect; and arguably, it is the shit outside of combat - that takes the lions share of the gameplay - that needs more attention (when it comes to making a "Skyrim-like"). The basics for combat systems are already fairly (just fairly) well established to build upon.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Mordhau or Mountain Blade
Have very arcady melee combat,KCD has a lot better one. The problem was that you could master it too fast and end up fucking up everyone,also reposte.

Actually the problem was that it sucked, as they were more worried with making something "realistic" rather than something engaging and well designed.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I really appreciate Sawyer's dedication towards working out every single aspect of Eora. I don't like settings where certain sections are explained in vivid detail, yet other, fundamental ones are retarded. Also, in contrast to settings like the Forgotten Realms, Eora is much more coherent in cultural and technological terms.

Don't get me wrong, I can easily enjoy settings where everything is thrown together, slap dash - like Golarion or the aforementioned Abeir-Toril - but consistent worlds are much harder to come by.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom