Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Is there a single good 4X game with an active multiplayer community

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Age of Wonders 3 is the most active good 4X I can think of. It has a speck of player base compared to trash like Civ6/Stellaris, but it's the most I've seen in months.

Next in line would be W40K Gladius, arguably AOW: Planetfall (borderline "good" IMO).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are other board games that would work on Steam or Vassal :
Scyhte seems pretty popular, even though it is not really a 4X, it should tick most of the boxes.
Through the Age is like Civilization, without a map.
Eclipse would have been perfect, but the network design is so bad you'd rather not play the Steam of iOS version in multi(game is cancelled after someone misses a turn for too long, no notification of new turn on Steam...). But it may work on Vassal or Tabletop Simulator.

You can also play Space Empires 4X, on Vassal.
Last time I asked on BGG, I got two games running in no time.

Board games work fine for multi 4X because they are designed to play much faster.

Beowulf

Arcane
There are other board games that would work on Steam or Vassal :
Scyhte seems pretty popular, even though it is not really a 4X, it should tick most of the boxes.
Through the Age is like Civilization, without a map.
Eclipse would have been perfect, but the network design is so bad you'd rather not play the Steam of iOS version in multi(game is cancelled after someone misses a turn for too long, no notification of new turn on Steam...). But it may work on Vassal or Tabletop Simulator.

You can also play Space Empires 4X, on Vassal.
Last time I asked on BGG, I got two games running in no time.

Board games work fine for multi 4X because they are designed to play much faster.

I second Through the Ages recommendation. It has very active community and features crossplay between android and steam versions, so you can play on your phone, when you take a toilet break from the whole day of playing on pc.
I personally didn't like Scythe that much and don't consider it a 4x game. But it's good for some quick realtime games. You can finish a whole 4-5 players game in 1,5-2h once everyone knows the rules.
If you are looking for Scythe opponents, or opponents for PBEM games in general consider joining a community like: https://thewargamingclub.online/
That's where I play most of my PBEM games nowadays.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I bet battle for Wesnoth has an active community, but I have never played it and don't know how good it is. I have downloaded it because its free on steam and it seems to have a lot of variety in campaign and scenario design. It looks like an AoW clone, and has been around for a long time and I think it might have an active community. Maybe someone who has played it can say how good it is. But its free, so if it sucks, its not much of a loss, except time, which is not a small thing I admit.

edit: Dominions is awesome, but it does take a long time to master and I don't think I would want to play it multiplayer because I would get slaughtered and I don't think I will ever take Dominions seriously enough to be very good at it. But its fun enough for me as a single player game.

Wesnoth is very good, but it's very focused on positioning units on the map and fighting with them. In fact, that's 90% of the game. You have a recruitment points and gold mines, that's the entirety of the economic side of the game.
Wesnoth's very polished both for multi and for single player scenarios, the only bad thing is the insane random factor - it doesn't remove strategy from the game, but it can make a play that ought to be good fail hard, or a bad play win hard. Frustrating.

With Dominions, you can learn to play it very fast by joining the discord and spamming it with noob questions/searches. I had to ragequit that game because the main moderator there and on steam discussions is a communist tranny who wouldn't let me trashtalk animefags :argh::argh::argh:

Also you wouldn't get slaughtered in Dominions 5 multiplayer. A lot of players are new, or have been playing for years but are still fucking shit lol. Noob games are truly noob games and that's about half of the games which are held.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Do people actually play 4x games with strangers? Those games last so long I figured you'd only play with people you actually knew, otherwise idiots could just come and go all the time defeating the purpose.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You could also play Neptune's Pride.
It is a web 4x with either 24 hour turns or real time ticks.
The TB mode is much easier on your time IMO.
It is mostly about diplomacy and logistics. Techs are important, but combat is mostly about having more and better ships at the right place.
The smaller games are best (8P).
I had encountered more multi accounts in a single 32 player game than in all of my 8p games combined.
I played it a few years ago but I think it is still player by a sizable community.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
who wouldn't let me trashtalk animefags

This made me lol.

You could also play Neptune's Pride.
It is a web 4x with either 24 hour turns or real time ticks.

This looks great. I love the idea of a web-based game I can hop in and out throughout the day. I wonder how similar this is to Diplomacy, in terms of forming alliance and backstabbing people.

Beowulf

Arcane
We did, but the game is best played in real time.

I understand. Was the game too slow over email? Or too much of a cluster fuck?

Unnecessarily slow.
The game doesn't require spending that much time on your turns. Playing by email you'd usually spend more time booting up the game and logging into lobby than doing your moves.

Do people actually play 4x games with strangers? Those games last so long I figured you'd only play with people you actually knew, otherwise idiots could just come and go all the time defeating the purpose.

Playing with previously not known people from established communities and groups lessens the risk of players dropping mid-game. And you'll get to know them soon enough.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Diplomacy with people you know has a huge drawback:
Grudges are carried from one game to another, which kind of defeats the purpose of diplomacy.
I would rather only play team games with people I know to avoid the metagame issue.
Random people do drop from games, but usually when their position is hopeless anyway, so it is usually not a big issue if what is left of them is given to the AI.

One of the big issues with turn based MP 4X is that in order to work in MP, they really need to allow simultaneous turns without butchering the gameplay.
AoW, Civ and Gladius both support simultaneous turns, but in an engine in which it does not make any sense (ie, it encourages waiting the end of the turn to move twice in a row, or at the very least, makes execution speed important in a game in which it should not happen).

That is why Dominions works better than the most here. It was planned from the beginning with MP and simultaneous turns in mind.

Without that, even by email with turn due dates, it can take forever to play.

The other issue is tactical battles.
They are cool in solo, or in a 1v1 game. But as soon as you add more players, it forces people to either:
take an almost infinitie exchange of emails to get the battle done, arrange a time to play live, and/or have the other players be forced to do something else.

That is why I never could get into MOO2 in MP. Waiting for other to play their battles was not super interesting, and playing without tactical battles butchers the game.

The problem is that there are not that many games left:
Dominions,
Armada 2526 (but I doubt it has any community),
The RT 4X (Paradox, or Sins of a solar Empire and Kohan. The latter doesn't have any community at all).
Star Wars Rebellion (RT + 2 players gets rid of most of the issues, but it doesn't have any community either).
Diplomacy and other ported board games or war games (actually, most board games are meant to be finished in a single sitting, so they are usually a good fit).
Solium Infernum (but the UI and use of Adobe Director are bad).

Something that would work would be a team based 4X in which you could delegate units to your team mates in tactical battle, but I am not sure there is any.

Neptune's Pride and other Web based 4X also work. Many of the web based ones are tick based, which works with long ticks.
2 hours ticks or less should definitely be avoided, as it forces you to check things constantly, and at night.

Also, ongoing games that last for years are not super healthy, but can be cool if you are in college (I spent thousands of hours in Hyperiums, doing shifts during the night with guidmates, and ended up playing the last year because I felt I had a responsibility to stay before I stopped for good). It is basically Eve Online but at a larger scale.
Fondation: Le Jeu is also cool once you "graduate" past the early stage, and has 2 weeks campaigns combined with a meta progression, which is a good compromise. But it is only in French (I think), and suffers from the 3AM alarm syndrom.

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Grudges are carried from one game to another, which kind of defeats the purpose of diplomacy.
Yes and no. Dominions is rather small community so people play with the same people a lot. Grudges are carried over but most things don't constitute a grudge - only NAP breaking essentially. And that's a good thing. NAPs are one of the main diplomatic tools in Dominions and people who break them should be punished as a deterrent.

Beowulf

Arcane
[...]
Something that would work would be a team based 4X in which you could delegate units to your team mates in tactical battle, but I am not sure there is any.

Recent Total Wars work that way, don't they?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
[...]

You are probably right (I never tried MP in any of them, except for a few battles), but doesn't the strategic layer remain sequencial and not silmultaneous, though? Or do all players play their turn at the same time?

Beowulf

Arcane
[...]

You are probably right (I never tried MP in any of them, except for a few battles), but doesn't the strategic layer remain sequencial and not silmultaneous, though? Or do all players play their turn at the same time?

Oh yeah, you're right, it is sequential. In team games that shouldn't matter that much.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yes and no. Dominions is rather small community so people play with the same people a lot. Grudges are carried over but most things don't constitute a grudge - only NAP breaking essentially. And that's a good thing. NAPs are one of the main diplomatic tools in Dominions and people who break them should be punished as a deterrent.
The main dom5 discord has something like 1,000 members (IIRC?) and always has multiple games in the 'recruiting players' stage - I don't think it's small actually

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom