Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy was incredibly overrated. Probably, the second part will be even worse though.

Modded, the visuals were excellent for their time and the atmosphere was second to none.

It also still has one of the most realistic ballistics (when properly applied, base games often fucked the values up) and armour systems I've ever seen in a game. The damage models on different pieces of armour are insanely detailed.

How many games differentiate between different parts of the torso and back for damage?

sullynathan

Arcane
Why are you guys acting like STALKER wasn't open world? Did Chernobyl stop being open world because it had 3 loading screens between 3 zones?

1. It wasn't an amusement park which "open-world" games inevitably are.
2. Things didn't actually happen the same if you weren't there. This is more significant with A-Life-heavy mods.
There are modern open world games that put the stalker series to shame in terms of interactivity. I haven't played any of these mods and I'm not judging a sequel based on them.
Why are you guys acting like STALKER wasn't open world? Did Chernobyl stop being open world because it had 3 loading screens between 3 zones? Did the Witcher 3?

yes thats an accurate comparison for sure. SoC has ~16 maps, many of them having both literal physical barriers and magical death barriers to prevent you from just going anywhere you want, and the witcher 3, has just 3 maps where you can traverse upwards of 90% of the gameworld with next to no barriers, definitely the same thing.

SoC isnt open world. Neither is COP. This most accurately called a hub based design, and shares far more in common with something like Deus Ex than it does an actual open world game like GTA, twitcher or skyrim.
From what I played of CoP, I could definitely go where I want hence open world.

How many games differentiate between different parts of the torso and back for damage?
Fallout 3 :troll:

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree with those who say that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a special atmosphere of the nuked Soviet bumblefuck. I don't like it myself, because I've been fed up with it over the years spent in post-Soviet countries. But I can understand people who like it, especially if it's a novelty for them.

For me, gameplay is still the king. And the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. gameplay is unbearably boring and monotonous. Of course, it's better than that of Fallout 3/NV/4. But this isn't so much of an achievement.

The Stalker games are weird no matter how much I read about them or hear about the crazy features they have. Whenever I actually play them, I get bored and lose interest after a few hours. :negative:

Have you ever played any of the Metro trilogy?

Both games were created by people who were at one time or another working on STALKER.

Metro to me is a lot more boring than STALKER, it's nothing more than a linear, on the rails, scripted shooter with QTE's.

The fact that STALKER features an open world, inventory, and quest system makes it a superior gaming experience.

Of course, because I'm Ukrainian myself, I'm biased to any/all games featuring Chernobyl/Pripyat as a setting. ;)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The biggest thing that killed the first Metro game for me was that Artyom could literally die in front of an NPC and they'd just keep walking as if he didn't exist. That, plus the clean gas filters that couldn't be picked up and the ultra-linear levels, made me uninstall the game and never look back at the series once I'd completed it.

JDR13

Arcane
The Stalker games are weird no matter how much I read about them or hear about the crazy features they have. Whenever I actually play them, I get bored and lose interest after a few hours. :negative:

Have you ever played any of the Metro trilogy?

Both games were created by people who were at one time or another working on STALKER.

Metro to me is a lot more boring than STALKER, it's nothing more than a linear, on the rails, scripted shooter with QTE's.

The fact that STALKER features an open world, inventory, and quest system makes it a superior gaming experience.

Of course, because I'm Ukrainian myself, I'm biased to any/all games featuring Chernobyl/Pripyat as a setting. ;)

Sounds like you were a victim of your own expectations. The Metro games weren't meant to be like Stalker.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Deadly anomalies, dangerous mutants, anarchists and bandits. None of them will stop Gregorovich on his triumphant march towards destroying the STALKER series!

PointedRespectfulAruanas-size_restricted.gif

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
The first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy was incredibly overrated. Probably, the second part will be even worse though.

Modded, the visuals were excellent for their time and the atmosphere was second to none.

It also still has one of the most realistic ballistics (when properly applied, base games often fucked the values up) and armour systems I've ever seen in a game. The damage models on different pieces of armour are insanely detailed.

I wouldnt call the ballistics realistic at all. It merely has ballistics, as opposed to almost every other FPS which lazily uses hitscan solutions. And no, mods dont really change this, most mods simply increase the range, accuracy and damage of weapons. Most modders are morons, frankly, and its much simpler for them to simply edit the basic weapon attributes until they get a result they want (more often than not: the COD-ification of the gameplay, e.g low TTK and high accuracy) than it is to do stuff like modify the ballistics.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, I couldn't get into STALKER. They need to do something to not make it so fucking boring. I got pretty far, I think. Stopped after you get to that zone with all that radiation. I think it's the second or third town. The one where you can fight people in a cage or something... Anyways, it's a boring game. The world just feels so lifeless and boring.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I agree with those who say that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a special atmosphere of the nuked Soviet bumblefuck. I don't like it myself, because I've been fed up with it over the years spent in post-Soviet countries. But I can understand people who like it, especially if it's a novelty for them.

For me, gameplay is still the king. And the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. gameplay is unbearably boring and monotonous. Of course, it's better than that of Fallout 3/NV/4. But this isn't so much of an achievement.
It wishes.

Yeah, I couldn't get into STALKER. They need to do something to not make it so fucking boring. I got pretty far, I think. Stopped after you get to that zone with all that radiation. I think it's the second or third town. The one where you can fight people in a cage or something... Anyways, it's a boring game. The world just feels so lifeless and boring.

Did you install the Complete mod?

It gets all kind of hate on this forum, but it seriously is the best and only one to go with for Shadow of Chernobyl, or any of them for that matter.

You either like the burned out, post USSR setting or you don't.

I have looked at all kind of pictures of the real Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and it's a pretty faithful recreation.

Without the Complete mod, which includes a major graphical overhaul, the game looks like complete shit.

If you want a damn hard challenge, Misery for Call of Pripyat is good too, but the graphical changes are way more washed out and not as nice as Complete IMO.

Also, for all of the love that Misery gets, they still managed to fuck up the inventory (non-stackable items) and you can't run more than five feet without being crippled by exhaustion (I can't remember if this was because of a lower weight limit or because the mod decided that distance running was "unrealistic").

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I heard the Complete mod makes the game too easy.

I think there's another mod that improves the visuals but doesn't fuck with anything else, but I can't remember the name of it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think there's another mod that improves the visuals but doesn't fuck with anything else, but I can't remember the name of it.

ZRP (Zone Restoration Project) with texture mods like absolute nature is far superior to Complete.

ZRP fixes bugs/issues only and doesn't randomly decrease the damage of all the guns and player damage taken.

There are also a bunch of optional addons for ZRP that can be added according to taste.

JDR13

Arcane

ZRP (Zone Restoration Project) with texture mods like absolute nature is far superior to Complete.

ZRP fixes bugs/issues only and doesn't randomly decrease the damage of all the guns and player damage taken.

There are also a bunch of optional addons for ZRP that can be added according to taste.

The mod I was thinking of is called Starter Pack. I guess it includes some texture mods + ZRP.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

The mod I was thinking of is called Starter Pack. I guess it includes some texture mods + ZRP.

Just had a quick glance, seems like a pretty decent compilation.

Pretty much anything is better than Complete in all honesty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom