Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Imagine all those dumb zoomers, that have bought Persona 5 en masse because it was a cool edgy thing, that now will buy SMTV and the Nocturne remake, because they think these are now the next cool anime edgy things, only to be ass raped en masse in the depth of the Amigdala Labyrinth. I am starting to imagine the screamings.
Welp, they already got filtered once by SMT4.

deuxhero

Arcane
Imagine all those dumb zoomers, that have bought Persona 5 en masse because it was a cool edgy thing, that now will buy SMTV and the Nocturne remake, because they think these are now the next cool anime edgy things, only to be ass raped en masse in the depth of the Amigdala Labyrinth. I am starting to imagine the screamings.

You have to beat Matador before you get to the Labyrinth.

For those who are going to run it through Yuzu - it shouldn't be more demanding than e.g. Super Mario Odyssey or Astral Chain, right? Dunno if there are any Unreal Engine 4 Switch games to compare performance.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
When SMTV will be out, you will be able to run it with yuzu AI-upscaled at 4k/120 fps. Basically you will play direcly the remastered version.

Sentinel

Arcane
4A Odin sucks. He looks like a power ranger. Honestly a trash tier design.
I definitely agree. The Doi/Soejima designs range from terrible to passable. I haven't seen a great one from them yet.
Odin's best design is still Kaneko's 3rd attempt at it:
latest
Doi's designs are Marvel-tier trash for the most part.

Vyadhis

Learned
We will see a rise of articles talking about the problematic nature of SMT:Nocturne's difficulty and how its not inclusive enough to those who just want to see the story. Same thing happened with Sekiro.

Vyadhis

Learned
Should I just emulate Nocturne now, wait to play it in Yuzu or wait for the steam edition?

lightbane

Arcane
Emulate the PS2 version, then use filters to upgrade the graphics if you're a graphics-whore (check the faqs in the Emulation thread), then you're set*. The remastered edition is a lazy adaptation, and chances are it will be brought to the PC at some point in a lazier port. The changes brought by the remaster are minimal (DLCs that include new music, new shops with near-cheat items, the 'save anywhere' function, rewriting the script slightly and censoring some dialogues because *modern day*).

*There's a special edition, the Chronicles Maniax, exclusive in Weaboonese but was fan-translated. You can check it once you know enough about the main game, as it changes a few things.

Vyadhis

Learned
Emulate the PS2 version, then use filters to upgrade the graphics if you're a graphics-whore (check the faqs in the Emulation thread), then you're set*. The remastered edition is a lazy adaptation, and chances are it will be brought to the PC at some point in a lazier port. The changes brought by the remaster are minimal (DLCs that include new music, new shops with near-cheat items, the 'save anywhere' function, rewriting the script slightly and censoring some dialogues because *modern day*).

*There's a special edition, the Chronicles Maniax, exclusive in Weaboonese but was fan-translated. You can check it once you know enough about the main game, as it changes a few things.
Thanks, I'll do that for sure. Fuck censorship shit. Should I go through Nocturne first or finish SMTIV (I'm still at the starting area)?

This and for the definitve edition play Hardtype patch.

Vyadhis

Learned
I started playing Nocturne last night and I'm pleasantly surprised by how atmospheric and spooky it is. The music is top notch too, I'm at post conception and just got Pixie. Any basic tips? I'm just playing the regular non-hardtype gaijin version. I heard it was best to go with STR for MC but are there are demons early on that are really good or that I should hang on to?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I started playing Nocturne last night and I'm pleasantly surprised by how atmospheric and spooky it is. The music is top notch too, I'm at post conception and just got Pixie. Any basic tips? I'm just playing the regular non-hardtype gaijin version. I heard it was best to go with STR for MC but are there are demons early on that are really good or that I should hang on to?
Keep Pixie until the end of the game. Fusing her is fine but don't ever drop her from your party or use her as a sacrifice. iirc you can keep track of which demon was originally Pixie by the order in your demon list. Pixie will always be at the top.

Vyadhis

Learned
Keep Pixie until the end of the game. Fusing her is fine but don't ever drop her from your party or use her as a sacrifice. iirc you can keep track of which demon was originally Pixie by the order in your demon list. Pixie will always be at the top.
Mine evolved into a high pixie, is that bad?

lightbane

Arcane
I recommend using this awesome tool for Nocturne. And any other game of the franchise.
https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt3/demons

Magatamas can give you abilities, BUT it is not stated at which level. Checking faqs and such are recommended as otherwise you'll waste your time and levels trying to guess what does what. Lastly, the Heretic Manor webpage is very useful for fusion min-maxing.

Another tip: Fusing two different elemental-type demons create Mitamas, that can be used to empower demons and give them new skills, without having them change race. Mandatory to have for proper power-gaming. Alas, they usually require a high level to fuse into existence. However, they exist in most games of the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom