Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic 50 (maybe more) cents about Might and Magic Book One - The Secret of the Inner Sanctum (1986)

Hello! Decided to post my text about old, but *mostly* beloved (at least by me) CRPG made by Jon Wan Caneghem in cooperation with his wife Michaela - Might and Magic 1: Book One - and my feelings about it.
I played M&M 1 around two months ago, while searching for good and interesting old games - and actually had enough determination to complete M&M 1 untill the end and actually had a ton of fun with it after i understanded gameplay framework good enough.
[I do not consider this *wall of text* to be a review - so decided to post it here, in General RPG Discussion]

So... Usually i rate games primarily by gameplay and related points of interest (such as how meaningiful and interesting exploration in general). Story-Plot elements (must at least set everything in motion and give player meaning to his or her actions along with making game less monotonous) serve it's own important role, but ultimately gameplay framework is thing that make game distinct and functioning at all, therefore takes precedence in my mind.
Parts of story (such as quest system and related ability of character to complete tasks) can function without proper gameplay definition, but many things that make good and memorable experience (freedom to act and freedom to solver problems in many ways - sometimes not-intended, also immersion and world believability, etc.) does not going to be here.

And three most important things that i seek in games usually are: combat system, roleplaying system (defining trait of CRPG's, in my humble opinion) and exploration.
[Roleplaying system is combination of character creation, character development and other gameplay elements related to PC's (such as magic system and item restriction system) that give meaning to choices made by player in regards to constructing their own experience while interacting with world] <-- This is very subjective and not overly good sounding definition, but this is how i see this term for now.

M&M 1 have good combat for most part (it is balanced ~difficulty wise compared to most old games and even to next game in series and pretty completable without hard game mechanics abuse, but most monsters grouped in very random way - for example, cleric and mutant larva enemy types trying to kill a party is common thing in this game). Player can rest after combat immideately - so difficulty is related to individual encounters (contrary to Wizardry 1, for example).
M&M 1 have original for it's time roleplaying system (one of the first games on my memory to make AC system different to Dungeons and Dragons; gender, aligment and class play little role in game - but one in-game are and one side-quest place big importance on traits), magical system is well-defined and provide opportunities to use - even if high-level spells are maybe little too strong strong.
M&M 1 have exploration as good as it must be to create Feeling of Wonder in me. You have world to explore, to plunder and it feels as such. Side-quests are limited (but they exist, which is big for such old game), interaction with world is limited - but even puzzles are related to exploring areas and world in search for clues.

I do not going to talk about story-plot, quest details, world landmarks and so on - it can give spoilers to people who want to experience game for themselves.
In conclusion, i will say that M&M 1 is cryptic, moderately hard and requires player to understand gameplay framework of game to have fun with game. Not without rough parts - still, charning old game in it's own way.

Hope to hear what other people think about this game, their own experience with it and how bad or good it been for them. Hope this been worth time to read, as well.
If anybody wants to play M&M 1 and needs help / advises - feel free to DM me or even write here, and i will try to help.
Cheers! : ]

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
y7nE5Gc.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Great game; not quite as good as MM2 and MM6 IMO, but a solid CRPG.

But why didn't you import your party into MM2?

BTW, how many Black Boxes did you find? They contain the potentially best loot. I found only three of them when I completed MM1 a couple of yeara ago.
And did you bet the Volcano God and Dragon Town?

Great game; not quite as good as MM2 and MM6 IMO, but a solid CRPG.

But why didn't you import your party into MM2?

BTW, how many Black Boxes did you find? They contain the potentially best loot. I found only three of them when I completed MM1 a couple of yeara ago.
And did you bet the Volcano God and Dragon Town?

I completed Might & Magic 1 one time so far (but played for more hours after aquiring "game end" screen and total victory points), but plan to revisit game later... Actually early months of next year will suffice.

Me_winning_MM_2.png

^^^ This screen-cap is just before ending.

For some reason, wanted to try new classes (Ninja actually catched my eye during first run in M&M 2 - and been thinking about Barbarian in party as well), so passed on option to import save state.
BUT - as now i can see - it is best option to actually import party from M&M 1 and it make game less tedious (some additional levels and stats really help).

I defeated Dragon Town AFTER i completed a game, lol. Never beaten up Volcano God, sadly.

Found 2 black boxes as far as i can remember - and more golden boxes from encounters in marshes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What platform did you play on? C64 is kind of broken as far as levelling goes. PC seems fixed. I never tried appleii and only did a few short runs on NES.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

When I was a kid I had to buy my own computer games with allowance money. I went down the Ultima/Goldbox path instead of blobbers but goddamn the M&M boxes always made me stop and look at the local Software Ect.

What platform did you play on? C64 is kind of broken as far as levelling goes. PC seems fixed. I never tried appleii and only did a few short runs on NES.

Heyo, Keighn! I played and completed PC version (Microsoft DOS). Tried NES version once, but it been a short trip.
Heard about ports on other platforms as well, but never tried them.

overly excitable young man

Meh i cleared 5 overworld maps but then it got just too tedious.
You would think the running back and forth to the inn would be solved if you can rest anytime.
Well you can only safe at the inn and its always this chance that an overpowered encounter comes and ruins your whole progress.

That and i'm not sold on the whole map drawing thing.
50% of time while playing these old games isn't actually playing but drawing on paper and reading the manual.
This just maximizes the time you play the game for the low content you have.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh man! I had a fee of my dads maps but very incomplete and messed up. I grabbed my colored pencils and index cards and recorded everything on the c64. Was fun. MMII on C64... fuck that. Sooooo god damn slow. By the time I got a version on dos i had diaup. I downloaded it but didn't get far. I skipped to 3-Xeen+Swords.

Meh i cleared 5 overworld maps but then it got just too tedious.
You would think the running back and forth to the inn would be solved if you can rest anytime.
Well you can only safe at the inn and its always this chance that an overpowered encounter comes and ruins your whole progress.

That and i'm not sold on the whole map drawing thing.
50% of time while playing these old games isn't actually playing but drawing on paper and reading the manual.
This just maximizes the time you play the game for the low content you have.

Heyo, Red Panda! Actually, i can perfectly understand your points and agree with some of them (extensively reading manual and drawing maps usually is a necessary thing in such archaic games), but also going to make my own remarks and also provide link to one interesting program, that maybe will solve some of problems you had.

Basically, my small (or not so small) remarks towards some game mechanics (even crappy ones that i also dislike):

1) Usually Might & Magic 1 does not require player to metodically clear in-door maps (dungeons / cities) and wilderness. It is more about save spot where you can "grind" for some time to level up and hunt for more dangerous creatures (most notorious one for me is Wyvern Peak region). But game also provides ways to make grind not as tedious as you or even i been thinking! For example, some fountains in game (one boosting all stats to 30 for one battle) allow to take out some much higher-level enemies without special abilities and dispel powers. It is entirely possible to grab one or two levels very early by buffing your party up this way.

2) Later on game provides you with Meteor Shower, Surface, Fly spells so game actually become much more trivial and requires very little amount of notes (i recommend take notes of various buffing map features). So later game becomes more fun.

3) With Fly (drops party in region of player's choice) and Surface (moves player outside of city or dungeon) you can get to hotel as quick as possible + Fly drops party in safest point in region and this is usually a city entrance. Guard Dog basically protects you from random encounters - and this is pretty good spell as well!

4) I consider amount of content in Might and Magic 1 to be quite big: be it dungeons, puzzles, monsters (a lot of them are pretty memorable like Black Dragons or Centaurs), items and spells. Actaully, in-game economy and amount of item combinations is great, especially at the time of game release at DOS. But this is subjective, of course.

And towards reading manuals and taking notes... I kinda like this myself and this is part of fun for me, game in game basically. But i'm in minority, in regards to this question.

So... Here one interesting program i found myself not very long ago!

https://www.eskimo.com/~edv/lockscroll/WhereAreWe/

^^^ This is an auto-mapper tool for Might & Magic 1-2, early Wizardry games and Bard's Tale games as well as search tool for different spells (so this program will show you number of spell and name of spell), so here is much less tedium in result.

Hope i made some things more clear with this text.
Have a nice day, Panda 0/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom