Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The good: I get to shoot elves in the face.

The bad: Most likely won't have h2h combat, because it's too expensive and the people that play monks are like 2% of the playerbase.

Still, reading the thread so far and how hard we're mocking the title, can only help it because it sets the expectations low.

Bulo

Scholar
I'm holding out for a Fable-esque time skip that accommodates automatic firearms reaching the hands of impoverished aumaua orphans

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just have 3 important questions that will determine whether I still have interest or not:
-No voiced protagonist?
-Custom character?
-3rd person camera?
If these 3 conditions are met, I'm hyped as fuck! FNV-esque game set in Pillars would be fucking badass.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just have 3 important questions that will determine whether I still have interest or not:
-No voiced protagonist?
-Custom character?
-3rd person camera?
If these 3 conditions are met, I'm hyped as fuck! FNV-esque game set in Pillars would be fucking badass.

It's a teaser trailer. For all we know it's an on-rails shooter/visual novel.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This one is going to suck just like The Outer Worlds did. Just make it a 3rd-person action RPG for fuck's sake.
I would rather Obsidian try and fail 100 times to make a successful "FNV-like" than disappear completely into ARPG territory. They might as well not exist at all at that point.

I'm not sure I follow your distinction between "FNV-like" and "ARPG territory". New Vegas is already an action RPG.

Just make it a 3rd-person action RPG for fuck's sake.

What good would that do? The market is full of dullminded 3rd person action ”rpg’s”.

Rather they tried something else.

They tried something else by tapping into the Bethesda market which they have no chance of competing with? The truth is only a handful of developers make first person Action RPGs, and the only one with a big budget behind it is Bethesda. People who play Bethesda games play them for the official Bethesda experience, and as The Outer Worlds showed, Obsidian doesn't provide that. Though there were many legitimate complaints leveled at TOW, there were many, many other complaints directed at the game because people compared it to a Bethesda game negatively.

There aren't many Action RPGs that are "pure RPGs" either. Most Action RPGs are either from Japanese developers with obvious consequences (most importantly, lack of roleplaying and/or stats that only matter for the purpose of combat, and/or no dialogue options or alternate choices in quests), or shitty BioWare RPGs. But when it comes to Action RPGs that really deliver as "RPGs", I really can't think of any modern examples. Even The Witcher 3 doesn't let you create your own character.

I think an 3rd person Action RPG which has good combat, mixed with all the classic RPG features we've come to expect from Fallout 1 and seen in New Vegas, would be great.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
We don't even know if it's a single-player RPG or not all they say it's a:
An Epic First-Person RPG Obsidian Entertainment's next epic, a first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora. Coming To Xbox Series X, Xbox Game Pass, Windows 10 PCs
And that it's not coming to XboxOne suggesting that the release is still years away since MS wants first party games on their old XboxOne.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
So who's leading this game development ?
And what is sawyer's actual job now ? Everytime he mentions it, it sounds like he's doing fuckall.

He is Obsidian's resident hipster; he wants to direct big games and all the attention comes with it but its "cooler" to make a tiny non-violent game with 5 person team.

Chris Parker is the GD of Awoken, Alpha Brotocol's lead. Despite the things we heard of him, at least the game could be ambitious with him leading :P

lol why did I write awoken, must be a sign :P

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
of obsidian's writers, how many of them are female

3 or 4

Carrie Patel, Kate Dollarhyde, Megan Starks and Kelsey Beachum (?). Not sure if she just wrote for the TOW dlc or if she got hired full time.

Paul Kirsch, Dan McPhee, Connor Walsh, Josh Sawyer (I would count him, since he writes for his games), Nitai Poddar and that new hire they got from Ubisoft? whose name escapes me. Might be one more according to LinkedIn, but that profile seemed a bit fishy so not counting him.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think an 3rd person Action RPG which has good combat...

I’m not really married to any perspective, but I know I currently have zero interest in yet another 3rd person combatrolling simulator, because we know that’s what it’d become.

I rather take the chances in seeing what they can muster up with their first person thing. And have my fingers crossed (an act of futiliy, no doubt) that they still have some tricks up their sleeve and passion for the craft to make it interesting on some level.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think an 3rd person Action RPG which has good combat...

I’m not really married to any perspective, but I know I currently have zero interest in yet another 3rd person combatrolling simulator, because we know that’s what it’d become.

I rather take the chances in seeing what they can muster up with their first person thing. And have my fingers crossed (an act of futiliy, no doubt) that they still have some tricks up their sleeve and passion for the craft to make it interesting on some level.

Well, TW1 wasn't really "combatrolling" (there weren't any rolls, for starters). I'm down for anything that has the potential of making combat more interesting, but people heavily criticized The Outer Worlds for having the same combat of 10 year old games, so... let's just say I don't expect much from Obsidian.

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
LmZb20Q.png

(it's shit)

2house2fly

Magister
For anyone hyped for this, your epic heroic high-fantasy RPG will be written and designed by these people:

D1KH5IrU8AAV1uw.jpg
even around here people generally thought the Deadfire DLC (lead writer was a they/them communist) was better written than the main game (lead writer was a straight white cismale who is into European history). Talent knows no gender identity

2house2fly

Magister
Oh dear, a senior area designer worked on an MMO before... what if this is an MMO. Or a free to play Live Service game with seasons and microtransactions. They don't want to compete with Skyrim, they want to compete with Final Fantasy 14

Tenebris

Scholar
I still can't believe Eder doesn't ask Waidwen about Woden. But that aside I enjoyed Beast of Winter and Forgotten Sanctum.

cruelio

Savant
I hated that Forgotten Sanctum retcons the first game by having Eothas just be like yeah everything was my plan all along. Getting blown up? All according to plan. I also hate that it gives you an option to sick your own titan on Eothas and here's the ending: "the titan beats the shit out of Eothas so hard Eothas falls on the soul machine and destroys it, accomplishing what he wanted anyway. You thought your choices mattered, let alone the money you spent on this dlc? Get Obsidian'd."

Tigranes

Arcane
They tried something else by tapping into the Bethesda market which they have no chance of competing with? The truth is only a handful of developers make first person Action RPGs, and the only one with a big budget behind it is Bethesda. People who play Bethesda games play them for the official Bethesda experience, and as The Outer Worlds showed, Obsidian doesn't provide that. Though there were many legitimate complaints leveled at TOW, there were many, many other complaints directed at the game because people compared it to a Bethesda game negatively.

Funny that FNV and TOW are basically Obsidian's best selling games, huh?

I'm skeptical because I don't think Obsidian can handle the gameplay side of open world RPGs, but it's easy to see that there's going to be a market for this.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I hated that Forgotten Sanctum retcons the first game by having Eothas just be like yeah everything was my plan all along. Getting blown up? All according to plan. I also hate that it gives you an option to sick your own titan on Eothas and here's the ending: "the titan beats the shit out of Eothas so hard Eothas falls on the soul machine and destroys it, accomplishing what he wanted anyway. You thought your choices mattered, let alone the money you spent on this dlc? Get Obsidian'd."

I wouldn't say that was a problem with the dlc but with the main plot of the game in general where you as the main character are not actually an active participant in the main plot but just a part of the audience that went to place A,B,C and just watched Eothas do his thing.Since the entire main plot was like that the dlc just couldn't change the whole thing suddenly so they went with that retarded ending,the dlc in itself was good imho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom