Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bill bucks: https://www.destructoid.com/psychon...ts-before-the-game-even-launches-562736.phtml

MS paid Fig 1M USD for its publishing rights to this.

Psychonauts 2 investors are getting guaranteed profits before the game even launches

Spurred on by Microsoft buying Double Fine

Psychonauts 2 is getting made because enough people believed in it. Some of those people supported it like a normal crowdfunded game -- chip in at a tier and then earn some rewards. But, because it was funded by Fig, others made actual investments. They believed Psychonauts 2 would be a success and that they'd earn money by the game selling well.

Those investors will be rewarded, just not the way they thought. Last month, Microsoft announced that it had acquired Double Fine. As a part of that transaction, it also bought the Psychonauts 2 publishing rights from Fig. Because of this, Fig will soon disburse dividends to anyone who invested.

In a message that went out to Psychonauts 2 investors today, Fig confirmed that it'll be sending out first and final payments in mid-September. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, each $500 share will see a 139 percent return which amounts to a $196 dividend per share. That rate is actually higher than what Fig originally promised. However, investors no longer have the opportunity to earn more in the event that Psychonauts 2 is a wild success. That being said, most of them are probably thrilled to take the guaranteed profit.

Here's the full statement that was sent to Psychonauts 2 investors:

As you may already know, Double Fine has recently announced it is joining the Microsoft family -- we are excited for them to start the next stage in their journey of making unique and creative games and can't wait to see what they do next. As a part of this transition, Microsoft has also purchased Fig's publishing rights for Psychonauts 2, for a price of $1,035,000, which will provide a positive return to all investors in Fig Game Shares -- PSY2 prior to the game even launching! Fig will also be paying out a dividend rate of 85% on the proceeds of this buyout to investors instead of the 70% listed in the offering circular for Fig Game Shares -- PSY2.

Our goal has been to get fans involved in the financial funding and growth of the games that they love while providing for the opportunity to also participate in the financial returns. We are thrilled to be able to provide a positive return to passionate gamers who so generously contributed to this project! Based on proceeds from this deal, we will be making a first and final dividend of $696.00 per share (a 139% return on each $500 share) around September 18th of this year. As an investor in Fig Game Shares - PSY2, you have helped support Double Fine and the development of Psychonauts 2. The game simply would not be what it is without you.​

Of the four big games on Fig, two games (this and Phoenix Point) generated profits, not from consumer sales.

Investors of Wasteland 3 and Deadfire weep.
According to yesterday's Wasteland 3 Fig update, they are paying out 132% return for investors. I assume that is coming from Microsoft as well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
According to yesterday's Wasteland 3 Fig update, they are paying out 132% return for investors. I assume that is coming from Microsoft as well.

Huh. Then Deadfire is all alone.
It had the misfortune of being released before Obsidian been acquired by MS. If they released it now, MS would probably pay out some returns for that as well. Sucks for the investors. :D

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Jesus Christ, what kind of people are employed there at Double Fine? The fedora guy is one thing, but what is that on the right? Or is that some kind of Halloween thing?
LTTOSYr.png

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Jesus Christ, what kind of people are employed there at Double Fine? The fedora guy is one thing, but what is that on the right? Or is that some kind of Halloween thing?
LTTOSYr.png
I'm pretty sure that's a character from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'll take that over fedora-man there.

Bara

Arcane
Funniest thing I've read all day. From a gameindustry.biz article apparently Psyconauts 2 was going to cut out all boss fights it it wern't for Microsoft money.https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...aft-and-mojang-taught-xbox-how-to-buy-studios

"With Psychonauts 2, we could see the end of our budget coming up, and so we had cut a lot of stuff," Schafer explains. "We had cut our boss fights. Now we are able to put those back in, and we're like 'we think people would have noticed if we didn't have those boss fights'. Being able to complete the game in the way that it was meant to be was very important.

Like disaster averted with Microsoft money but after Broken Age, that Chalice something game, and the space dwarf fortress like they really cannot handle budgets well can they?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Funniest thing I've read all day. From a gameindustry.biz article apparently Psyconauts 2 was going to cut out all boss fights it it wern't for Microsoft money.

"With Psychonauts 2, we could see the end of our budget coming up, and so we had cut a lot of stuff," Schafer explains. "We had cut our boss fights. Now we are able to put those back in, and we're like 'we think people would have noticed if we didn't have those boss fights'. Being able to complete the game in the way that it was meant to be was very important.

Like disaster averted with Microsoft money but after Broken Age, that Chalice something game, and the space dwarf fortress like they really cannot handle budgets well can they?
What do you mean after?
Brütal Legend and some of their other projects had issues with them overspending money too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Funniest thing I've read all day. From a gameindustry.biz article apparently Psyconauts 2 was going to cut out all boss fights it it wern't for Microsoft money.

Yep, it seems whoever is managing the finances at Double Fine, xhe should have been fired long ago.

Citizen

LTTOSYr.png

Why is jack black solving a rubic cube in the middle of a meeting?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The problem is not that he made Psychonauts. It's that people played it and didn't go "WTF? Why are you making 3D platformers, are you fucking retarded?"

Tehdagah

Arcane
Psychonauts was one of the first hipster games
That's a very hipster (and disrespectful ) thing to say.
I suggest you remain quiet from now on.
15927.jpg

The problem is not that he made Psychonauts. It's that people played it and didn't go "WTF? Why are you making 3D platformers, are you fucking retarded?"
The problem was that Psychonauts was praised for everything except for its gameplay. Let's be honest, it's a very basic platformer

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
While watching that trailer and the whole "psychedelic 60s"-segment there, I kept thinking it looked and felt like a reskinned Brütal Legend.

Turns out there's a much stronger connection there:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom