Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And it's been pushed back to 2021.
tenor.gif

I just can't believe it. I love Psychonauts and I'm pretty sure I will like the sequel, but I know it is not a game that should take 4-5 years to make. It's not graphically demanding, it is not complex, it's a simple platformer with funny writing and colorful atmosphere. It shouldn't take more than 2 years to make FFS!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
but I know it is not a game that should take 4-5 years to make. It's not graphically demanding, it is not complex, it's a simple platformer with funny writing and colorful atmosphere. It shouldn't take more than 2 years to make FFS!

The original game took 4.5 years to make, but they had to deal with all kinds of crap along the way. They're also dealing with all kinds of crap today, but it doesn't invalidate your words - it just shows that the problem that caused the delay is still present at Double Fine, 20 years after the fact.

And making a good game takes time. There are so many little details that need to be done right.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
tenor.gif

I just can't believe it. I love Psychonauts and I'm pretty sure I will like the sequel, but I know it is not a game that should take 4-5 years to make. It's not graphically demanding, it is not complex, it's a simple platformer with funny writing and colorful atmosphere. It shouldn't take more than 2 years to make FFS!

It's DoubleFine's MO.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
While watching that trailer and the whole "psychedelic 60s"-segment there, I kept thinking it looked and felt like a reskinned Brütal Legend.

Turns out there's a much stronger connection there:

Jack Black talking about Psychonauts 2: I THINK TIM SCHAFER AT SOME POINT TOOK MIND-ALTERING DRUGS

Everyone else:

2729805.jpg

Egosphere

Arcane
tenor.gif

level design and physics based stuff would probably take a lot of time to make

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
tenor.gif

It never was a "simple platformer", even P1 featured a complicated mechanics of riding AND flying the ball, for example. And telekinesis.

Wasn't there also a checkers level with the Napoleon dude?

Nope. It was a low-key abstracted LucasArts adventure puzzle-chain.

Psychonauts is a great game (One of my favorites of the decade!), but pretending it's a super mechanically complex or deviously designed game is... dumb. It's a great lo-key Zelda clone that is held up by the strength of its writing and VA. Nothing wrong with that.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Wasn't there also a checkers level with the Napoleon dude?

It was an imitation, but so cool and creative (like, you can walk around the map as a unit AND on the surface of the map as a big person...in addition to being inside the map and outside in the room where the map is lying on the table.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

also why you are a unit inside the map you can find that house where two Napoleons are playing this game and see them there, playing with the map on the table...the very map you're standing on! Mindfucking.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
but I know it is not a game that should take 4-5 years to make. It's not graphically demanding, it is not complex, it's a simple platformer with funny writing and colorful atmosphere. It shouldn't take more than 2 years to make FFS!

The original game took 4.5 years to make, but they had to deal with all kinds of crap along the way. They're also dealing with all kinds of crap today, but it doesn't invalidate your words - it just shows that the problem that caused the delay is still present at Double Fine, 20 years after the fact.

And making a good game takes time. There are so many little details that need to be done right.

Most of that should be done in the pre-production period. Once a full team starts the full production a game should be done in 18 to 24 months. Everything else is mismanagement.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Most of that should be done in the pre-production period. Once a full team starts the full production a game should be done in 18 to 24 months. Everything else is mismanagement.

I don't see a "developer" tag on your profile, mr. Expert.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Psychonauts isnt that simple of a 3d platformer, it never reaches the amount of complexity and variety in jumping as the absolute best 3d platformers have but its level design is very creative with each level having its unique gimmick, maybe if you compare it to Mario Odyssey or something from Nintendo, it will look lacking but it is far better than most 3d platformers out there.

Egosphere

Arcane
tenor.gif

It never was a "simple platformer", even P1 featured a complicated mechanics of riding AND flying the ball, for example. And telekinesis.

not just that, it was the funny camera tricks that they'd pull that would probably take time to iron out ie. climbing out of the game board when you're inside the mind of the napoleon-wannabe

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
tenor.gif

not just that, it was the funny camera tricks that they'd pull that would probably take time to iron out ie. climbing out of the game board when you're inside the mind of the napoleon-wannabe

it also had First Person View mode, btw.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A chilling thought for me. As mentioned elsewhere I'm sticking with Windows 7 'till the very end (about two more years as of this post) and I'm finally starting to notice games that do not run on it.

I don't care about most of those games, but I make a note of them to see why they're dropping Win7-support. And in some cases I feel that requiring an OS greater than Win7 is a superfluous act, and rarely due to some super-duper technical advancement being made that Win7 can't hack.

In fact, only one entity benefits from excluding modern games from Win7, and that's Microsoft.

And who owns Double Fine Productions now?

I may have to come to terms with the fact that the only game I'm really looking forward to may not run on my system, because *reasons*.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know this won't be the case in a couple of years, but I've been playing a few "Windows 10" games on Windows 7, without much trouble.

tenor.gif

Maybe they're trying to get the platforming to actually be good this time?

The original has a nice story and interesting style to it, but on a gameplay level it was a pretty bad platformer. That's really an aspect they should get right this time around if they want to keep it in that genre instead of makes a pure adventure game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Maybe they're trying to get the platforming to actually be good this time?

The original has a nice story and interesting style to it, but on a gameplay level it was a pretty bad platformer. That's really an aspect they should get right this time around if they want to keep it in that genre instead of makes a pure adventure game.

I'll admit that platformers aren't my strong suite, so could you tell me more on this? Where did Psychonauts go wrong, and how?

lightbane

Arcane
- Game (Brutal Legend) wasn't a particularly good game - Not true.

The incoherent and messy RTS battles that looked like a retarded/console version of Sacrifice say hi. Then there are the special powers that require a rhythmic mini-game to be done EVERY TIME, even while under fire. Or how the bad guy is only fought ONCE despite all of the build-up he had in the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom