Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avowed is quite specifically being advertised as a "Skyrim-like"

rating_citation.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
the actual phrase is 'i wish fallout 4 was like new vegas'

You mean "I wish it had even worse combat and a desolate desert?". Again, look at the sale numbers. For a fanbase that praises Obsidian so much, The Outer Worlds was a commercial disappointment compared to New Vegas.
It really isn't up for discussion. What I said above is the truth: normies move on and thus you don't see them talk about Fallout 3, because they are too busy playing Fallout 4 or Fallout 76. Meanwhile, passionate fans still play New Vegas and thus keep talking about it. It's why New Vegas usually wins popularity contests on the Internet, but when it comes to sales numbers, Bethesda's games always turn out to be king: normies buy their games, but they don't buy Obsidian's, even though they should (since supposedly normies love New Vegas and by extension support Obsidian).

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The Outer Worlds was a commercial disappointment compared to New Vegas.

This doesn't make sense.. You need see bigger picture than ''sales numbers''.
2M+ might huge flop for something like Fallout but huge win for AA game of a new IP.
For example , Person is more estabalished franchise than Outer Worlds and Persona 5 (2016/17) , huge success , by 2019 sold 3.2M while Outer Worlds sould 2.5M by end of last year. Persona have 10+ years of history. Outer Worlds came close pretty close to sell as much as a bigger franchise with bigger fanbase being a new IP and was on the market for 3 whole years. That's huge win. No matter how you looks.

I'm not defeding the game quality , it's just stupid to say Outer worlds is commercial flop compared to New vegas when New vegas comes from a much much bigger franchise with bigger fanbase.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
2M+ might huge flop for something like Fallout but huge win for AA game of a new IP.

What I mean is, New Vegas fans have been praising Obsidian to hell and back. If they were the big majority Delterius claims they are (since normies supposedy prefer New Vegas to Fallout 4), sales numbers for The Outer Worlds would have shown that. But the truth is New Vegas isn't the most popular Fallout game. Again, it provides an entirely different experience from Bethesda's Fallout games, and the people who love New Vegas love it because of that. But those fans don't compose the majority of the Bethesda market.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

What I mean is, New Vegas fans have been praising Obsidian to hell and back. If they were the big majority Delterius claims they are (since normies supposedy prefer New Vegas to Fallout 4), sales numbers for The Outer Worlds would have shown that. But the truth is New Vegas isn't the most popular Fallout game. Again, it provides an entirely different experience from Bethesda's Fallout games, and the people who love New Vegas love it because of that. But those fans don't compose the majority of the Bethesda market.

That make more sense and i agree. People overvalue Obsidian and udervalue how much people like Bethesda's games.

I'm chill for Obsidian hard but i just cringe how much people try to make this stupid narrative of ''Obsidian overtaking Bethesda'' when Bethesda is making 10+ million each game + publish stupidly successful games right and left while Obsidian was barely able to keep working for 5+ years.. Bethesda make shitty games but they sell crazy.

Thal

Prophet

rating_citation.png

I've been under the impression that Feargus said so since that's how people have been talking about it all along.

I'm 99% sure that I've seen a video of him saying that He'd love to do "a Skyrim" in Pillars universe or at least Sawyer reporting that Feargus has said so.

Anyway this is absolutely the perfect moment to release a skyrim-like arpg. In fact, they may not get another opportunity like this for half a generation. It's been 9 years since Skyrim's release already and if Bethesda had stuck to the 4-5 year schedule, the masses would be waiting for the imminent release of TES7 now. Even Witcher 3 was released 5 years ago and, although a semi-open world arpg, it really doesn't scratch the same itch. The market is ready to overlook quite a lot of things right now, if they get a real AAA arpg with core gameplay that is competently done. And getting it done competently is more about managing resources properly and avoding pitfalls. Skyrim already provides them the gameplay loop that they need to emulate. Also, the fact that its in Pillars universe means jack shit for the masses. I'm pretty sure that most of Skyrim's audience did not read ingame books or don't give a fuck about the "lore".

Also, they should absolutely include firearms. This is the way to forge their own identity and bring something new, enjoyable but also familar to the formula. Just imagine shooting a spellcasting altmer wizard into the face with one those shotgun pistols from PoE, with a huge bang and ragdoll physics complementing the hilarious massacre. The masses will lap it up and ask for more.

Finally, they should have just called it Eora. A way catchier name and easier to add sequel numbers into.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
rating_citation.png
I've been under the impression that Feargus said so since that's how people have been talking about it all along.
I'm 99% sure that I've seen a video of him saying that He'd love to do "a Skyrim" in Pillars universe or at least Sawyer reporting that Feargus has said so.
Cool. I don't disagree that Urquhart may have expressed admiration for Skyrim at some point. That's very different from this game 'quite specifically being advertised as a quote "Skyrim-like" unquote'. No hate undecaf but that was a weird thing to say.

Thonius

Arcane
even around here people generally thought the Deadfire DLC (lead writer was a they/them communist) was better written than the main game (lead writer was a straight white cismale who is into European history). Talent knows no gender identity

Most Dexers are severely autistic, they couldn't tell good writing from bad if it fondled their shrivelled balls. To this day many of them think D:OS is well written and TW3 writing is bad.

And sure, there are good female writers. When it comes to epic high fantasy tho, full of great battles, heroic deeds and political intrigue, p. much ALL the greatest works have been written by men, and it's not due to oppreshun.
Show me the person who thinks dos 2 writing is good. With quotes preferably. Although don't bother they were probably trolling someone.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Avowed should have better and thougher action based melee combat. Skyrim's sword battle ended with : I'm hitting enemy with the sword,he's hitting me while we watch which one of health pools is gonna get drained first.
I dunno how spells will come in play? Will stealth be a thing?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Show me the person who thinks dos 2 writing is good. With quotes preferably.

I do remember a few comments about D:OS humour being p. good but I grant you those aren't the consensus, I was trolling a bit there. But there are certainly quite a few people who regard earlier Larian writing (Divine Divinity, Dragon Commander) very good. Which almost as fruity.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Show me the person who thinks dos 2 writing is good. With quotes preferably.

I do remember a few comments about D:OS humour being p. good but I grant you those aren't the consensus, I was trolling a bit there. But there are certainly quite a few people who regard earlier Larian writing (Divine Divinity, Dragon Commander) very good. Which almost as fruity.
Dragon Commander has great writing. It is silly, funny and doesn't take itself seriously. You can quote me on that.

2house2fly

Magister
I hated that Forgotten Sanctum retcons the first game by having Eothas just be like yeah everything was my plan all along. Getting blown up? All according to plan. I also hate that it gives you an option to sick your own titan on Eothas and here's the ending: "the titan beats the shit out of Eothas so hard Eothas falls on the soul machine and destroys it, accomplishing what he wanted anyway. You thought your choices mattered, let alone the money you spent on this dlc? Get Obsidian'd."
the retcon was in Beast Of Winter, and was cool. If Forgotten Sanctum had allowed you to prevent the Wheel from being destroyed then they'd have been accused of selling the "good ending" as DLC. Eothas being killed in the process does make the ending different to him succeeding in his goal and shutting down or dispersing or whatever happens normally

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom