Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Quillon

Arcane
You mean "I wish it had even worse combat and a desolate desert?". Again, look at the sale numbers. For a fanbase that praises Obsidian so much, The Outer Worlds was a commercial disappointment compared to New Vegas.
It really isn't up for discussion. What I said above is the truth: normies move on and thus you don't see them talk about Fallout 3, because they are too busy playing Fallout 4 or Fallout 76. Meanwhile, passionate fans still play New Vegas and thus keep talking about it. It's why New Vegas usually wins popularity contests on the Internet, but when it comes to sales numbers, Bethesda's games always turn out to be king: normies buy their games, but they don't buy Obsidian's, even though they should (since supposedly normies love New Vegas and by extension support Obsidian).

What I mean is, New Vegas fans have been praising Obsidian to hell and back. If they were the big majority Delterius claims they are (since normies supposedy prefer New Vegas to Fallout 4), sales numbers for The Outer Worlds would have shown that. But the truth is New Vegas isn't the most popular Fallout game. Again, it provides an entirely different experience from Bethesda's Fallout games, and the people who love New Vegas love it because of that. But those fans don't compose the majority of the Bethesda market.

NV doesn't provide "an entirely new experience", it only has way better RPG narrative otherwise its pretty much the same gameplay experience. So given the choice between FO3 and NV, even most of the normies go for NV, just look at the number of mods & downloads for it on nexus vs FO3, technically there is very little difference between two games. Ofc FO4 is more popular cos its way newer with upgraded tech>gfx/combat/etc.

If TOW was a better gamebryo clone it would have sold a lot better but still less than FO4 cos of brand recognition+less marketing than Beth does for their games.

But I agree Obsidian gets undue praise especially from normies, TOW having weaker narrative & way weaker gameplay than NV(ofc gunplay is technically better than the 9 year older game's but that's about it).

But I don't agree Bethesda's gameworld + muh'exploration combo is better than old-Obsidian's gameworld+better RPG narrative in the same engine, even normies acknowledged this and it shows through numbers.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
But I agree Obsidian gets undue praise especially from normies, TOW having weaker narrative & way weaker gameplay than NV(ofc gunplay is technically better than the 9 year older game's but that's about it).

Honestly even the shooting mechanics are hit and miss in TOW. I prefer the reloading animations and the ammo mechanics of F:NV. At some point in TOW, you pick up a chaingun and realize the other guns don't really matter any more.

Duraframe300

Arcane
In-Game? That trailer? Not buying it.

Around 29 minute mark, i believe he referring that one.

EdxomyMXYAIbJbJ

jungl

Augur
Playing this game is going to be a pain in the ass. Constantly having to eat all the best food, chug potions like mad gather scrolls and sleep in the most expensive inn. Sneaking past all the unnecessary encounters that give no experience Playing pillars solo is a chore.

I hope our protagonist doesn't run into a adventuring party with each adventurer having their own lunch, drinks and inn memberships or we are screwed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For a fanbase that praises Obsidian so much, The Outer Worlds was a commercial disappointment compared to New Vegas.

In addition to it being a smaller game and a new IP, as Dishonoredbr pointed out, it was also given away pretty much for free on Gamepass. Microsoft isn't just looking at raw sales data to gauge success anymore, it's a brand new world.

There are people pointing out that the last bit of the trailer looked at least in-engine and had some aliasing.

Thoughts?

Like the Digital Foundry guys said in that video, it might be in-engine and then rendered out. More of a target video than pure CGI, which is cool.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
oh the version of fallout 3 that gives you a power armor in 10 minutes

damn so different oh wow

Seeing as you can't tell the difference between "getting power armor" and "gunplay", I now know to ignore you.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm chill for Obsidian hard but i just cringe how much people try to make this stupid narrative of ''Obsidian overtaking Bethesda'' when Bethesda is making 10+ million each game + publish stupidly successful games right and left while Obsidian was barely able to keep working for 5+ years.. Bethesda make shitty games but they sell crazy.

It's 2020 and people still believe that Internet forums are anything to go by when it comes to their opinion representing the majority of the customer base. One would expect the Codex to know different, but still they fall for the same trap.

NV doesn't provide "an entirely new experience", it only has way better RPG narrative otherwise its pretty much the same gameplay experience.

I heavily disagree. Mechanically, New Vegas is much improved, so there's already that. And secondly, the experience between both games couldn't be any more different (given the limitations of New Vegas using the same engine and general gameplay, that is). For one, Fallout 3 has a more open world than New Vegas does, where the intended path is to do a U-turn from Goodsprings through Nipton through Novac until you reach the Strip. And secondly, Fallout 3 is far more combat heavy and exploration driven.

Then there's the general atmosphere of both games. Again, both have a very different tone: Fallout 3's is far more desolate and yet quirky at times, whereas New Vegas' is more optimistic and serious.

So given the choice between FO3 and NV, even most of the normies go for NV, just look at the number of mods & downloads for it on nexus vs FO3, technically there is very little difference between two games.

Don't make the mistake of thinking "people who buys the game -> people who mods the game". Not to mention these games saw console releases too.
Overall there are simply no numbers that support the theory that the general population thinks New Vegas is better than Fallout 3. There's only the hard facts: that passionate people are vocal, which is why there's an entire forum dedicated to the classic Fallout games even when nowadays most of their talk is shitting on Bethesda (NMA).

Quillon

Arcane
For one, Fallout 3 has a more open world than New Vegas does, where the intended path is to do a U-turn from Goodsprings through Nipton through Novac until you reach the Strip.

Its NV's "intended" path, you don't have to follow it, I haven't played it in 10+ years but I distinctly remember having to go through linear subways etc to be able to reach the downtown area and there were no quicker ways about it, it wasn't even intended path, it was mandatory.

that passionate people are vocal, which is why there's an entire forum dedicated to the classic Fallout games even when nowadays most of their talk is shitting on Bethesda (NMA).

vocal minority theory is bullshit when it comes to sales, number of people talking about a game is directly proportional to number of sales, f.i. it might seem there are a lot of people talking about PoE when you are hanging out here but there are X times more people talking about call of duty anywhere else on the interwebz. X = CoD sales/PoE sales :P

Quillon

Arcane

this dude may have a point, I still think it would take place in Aedyr Empire's main continent but in any case I hope it takes place during a conflict/war rather than someone telling us about it like; "yeah, 15 years ago this cool war happened, shit hit the fan, we blew a god" etc.

best obsidian writer (also most beautiful (if you dont count sawyer))

I would rate Paul Kirsch as the best writer at Obsidian.

he's working on this game and worked on TOW's DLC it looks like: https://www.paul-kirsch.com/game-design Forgotten Sanctum was good but I don't know what he can do about TOW even if he's that good

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom