Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with the best casts

• Thread starter Lilliput McHammersmith
  • Start date

v1rus

Arcane
No mention of Jade Empire? Game had good cast for its time. Deaths Hand and Master Li were very good.

I can second this.

Not that any of the characters have any depth, or well, uniqueness within themselves, they are fairly standard Bioware fare, but the setting is so unique and pleasant, that the standard Bioware fare really shines in that light.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I can second this.

Not that any of the characters have any depth, or well, uniqueness within themselves, they are fairly standard Bioware fare, but the setting is so unique and pleasant, that the standard Bioware fare really shines in that light.

They need to remaster this game - I want a chivo for getting an Asian girl three-way.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can second this.

They need to remaster this game - I want a chivo for getting an Asian girl three-way.
Steam had the enhanced edition on sale a bit ago. No idea if it comes with achievements or not though.

You know who was a real bastard? That cat in KQIII.
I hated that cat.
I hated mountain path more.
The mountain path was just there - an indifferent act of nature. The cat was out to get you.

Their text parser must have had a field day with all the verbs I typed in in hopes of killing the cat.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Jagged Alliance 2. I'm sure the combat is great, but without a compelling cast, it's hard for me to get immersed.
wat?

2-update10_2.png

edit.
Also

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I can second this.

Steam had the enhanced edition on sale a bit ago. No idea if it comes with achievements or not though.

Steam has the "Special Edition" which is just he PC release from 13 years ago.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I was going to post "Pillars of Eternity 2", because I am dyslexic and I have read "RPGs with the best cats".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout: New Vegas.
Fallout has few memorable NPCs, and even then they are "memorable" because they have more work gone into them than the other, one-line bark NPCs. Aradesh, Tandi, Killian, Gizmo, etc. Mostly the talking heads.
Of Fallout 2, the one that stood out the most to me was Frank Horrigan. The rest, I don't really remember.

I think the playing cards do an amazing job at unifying the cast of characters and actually making them look like actual, living people.

Reality

Learned
I found the party banter and voice acting to give my generics in Wiz 8 and Jagged Alliance a lot more personality as charathers than most pre-defined story charathers in other RPGs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I don't remember voice acting being promoted as a major feature until Oblivion.
0lOnYY0.png

The CD version of Lands of Lore in 1994 boasted digitized speech with Patrick Stewart as celebrity voice actor, 12 years prior to Oblivion. A number of games around this time had CD re-releases (or CD releases simultaneous with the disk release) with the addition of voice-acting.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Mass Effect 3 is basically the same cast as Mass Effect 1 with a couple of additions, so I don't understand the different ratings. I actually quite like how they interact together in 3, makes them feel more alive. Also more RPGs with sequels should carry over most of the companions.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Mass Effect 3 is basically the same cast as Mass Effect 1 with a couple of additions, so I don't understand the different ratings. I actually quite like how they interact together in 3, makes them feel more alive. Also more RPGs with sequels should carry over most of the companions.
Sort of. You can't use Ashley for the first 10 or so hours of the game and instead you get the other human dude that I can't even remember his name. Not to mention, I don't do much savescumming so a lot of my party members had died over the course of the three games which is a great thing about ME. But I wasn't necessarily talking about the party members that can be preserved from game to game, but rather the cast of each individual game. The characters added in ME2 are much much better than the ones added in ME3, even if some of them suck (looking at you Jacob).

Beyond that, Kai Leng undoes so much of what ME3 does right. He is so inexplicably retarded that he sours the entire experience. In fact, the only things I can really remember fondly are rebuilding Legion and curing the Genophage. Pretty much the remaining game is hot shit, and the villains are equally shit, as are most encounters. ME2 was still ok, but not nearly as good as ME1.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In comparison, we can look at Fallout 2

1. Sulik the boned nose hunter who looking for his sister. He will enrage if you join the slavers in 2nd town or NCR. From the face to his talking schticks, it's very impressionable. 8.5/10

2. Myron, of course. The top spot for "characters I want to burst in the face most". His making of super stimpack also signal the transform from middle game combat to late game combat, because without superstim to heal 75hp at once, fighting Big Gun enemies is quite suicidal. With it, it's just merely VERY dangerous. 8.5/10, because he's sooooooo "Let me kill immmmmmmm".

3. Marcus and Lenny. Not just their background storylines, but also their influence on the gameplay. Carry them will stop your party at certain locations.

4. John Bishop. Not only he let us fuck his wife and his daughter, he also offer us hitman contracts, satiate our urge to become top rank assassin. Compare to other 3 head of crime families, he's waaaay up there. His influence affect the entire middle game stage in the form of the raiders under his control. As long as we havent wiped out their hideout, they will appear in the area between NCR and VC.

5. Lynnette. The female who occupy the top spot for "characters I want to burst in the face most" AND "females I want to hatefuck most". She's black would entice a lot of you American, I think.

6. SF's Shi's Dr Wong. You know, that cheapskate prideful guy who offer pennies for our quest. The top reason why we feel no remorse to fuck the Shi in the ass slightly.

7. Navarro's Sergeant "I work for a living you mo-ron" Dornan. Very nice voice, very strong impression. Also you dont want to activate his walking the posts routine. What he lack in scenes he compensate in voice and visual.7-7.5

Can't believe you left out Cassidy. Also fun to have him and Myron in the same party.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Gauntlet. There's a warrior, a wizard, an archer and a woman.
Woman washed the clothes. Red Warrior stinks badly! Elf is about to barf!!! Wizard I have not seen such bravery! Woman cooks the food.

I was going to say Wing Commander Has Cats and so does Thundercats.

and this is why ancient china finally collapsed...

relying on cats to be your scribes is uh..... stupid.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

1. Sulik the boned nose hunter who looking for his sister. He will enrage if you join the slavers in 2nd town or NCR. From the face to his talking schticks, it's very impressionable. 8.5/10

2. Myron, of course. The top spot for "characters I want to burst in the face most". His making of super stimpack also signal the transform from middle game combat to late game combat, because without superstim to heal 75hp at once, fighting Big Gun enemies is quite suicidal. With it, it's just merely VERY dangerous. 8.5/10, because he's sooooooo "Let me kill immmmmmmm".

3. Marcus and Lenny. Not just their background storylines, but also their influence on the gameplay. Carry them will stop your party at certain locations.

4. John Bishop. Not only he let us fuck his wife and his daughter, he also offer us hitman contracts, satiate our urge to become top rank assassin. Compare to other 3 head of crime families, he's waaaay up there. His influence affect the entire middle game stage in the form of the raiders under his control. As long as we havent wiped out their hideout, they will appear in the area between NCR and VC.

5. Lynnette. The female who occupy the top spot for "characters I want to burst in the face most" AND "females I want to hatefuck most". She's black would entice a lot of you American, I think.

6. SF's Shi's Dr Wong. You know, that cheapskate prideful guy who offer pennies for our quest. The top reason why we feel no remorse to fuck the Shi in the ass slightly.

7. Navarro's Sergeant "I work for a living you mo-ron" Dornan. Very nice voice, very strong impression. Also you dont want to activate his walking the posts routine. What he lack in scenes he compensate in voice and visual.7-7.5

Can't believe you left out Cassidy. Also fun to have him and Myron in the same party.

Cassidy, while being a good companion, is not that much an impressive figure UNLESS you play RP or Megamod and add his voice/head doll in.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Cassidy, while being a good companion, is not that much an impressive figure UNLESS you play RP or Megamod and add his voice/head doll in.
Always had Cassidy with a shotgun or rifle. One of the memorable ones for me because he was always in my party.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fallout New Vegas
Same as most of the above, great characters from start to finish. Though I will say that this and ME1 are the weakest on this list.
Absolutely not. This one is probably GoAT in terms of cast. Top to bottom, just full of great characters. I can't name a game that does better, even better than Planescape: Torment in my opinion.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Whose party doesnt have him? But essential is one thing, "best cast" is another.
Meh, I always paired him with Myron, so he was memorable because of his random dialogue bullying him. I guess the fact that he doesn't have a talking head really negates it a lot. Kind of sucks because he's quite iconic, similar to Ian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom