Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Max Payne 1 & 2 Discussion

Vincente

Arbiter
MP2 story, though. I don't even remember it clearly. Mona is alive, Vlad is an asshole now, Cleaners everywhere. What was this all about? Vlad wanted to do something? I can't even remember it now.

Vlad wanted to wage war against Italian crime families because he wants the black market gun business for himself, so his Cleaners take out Annie Finn, one of Vlad's own gunsmiths, this way Vlad has a way to frame Vinnie and light the fuse of a gang war.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Lets hope Max Pay 4 comes with significantly more LGBTQ and POC representation. Because teh previous titles are very problematic, even the name needs a decent trigger warning. Smh...

Lemming42

Arcane
the whole thing comes off as a parody even though it's probably not intended as such.

This is probably a big deciding factor in whether or not someone likes MP1. To me, the game seems to be very obviously a parody - maybe "parody" isn't exactly the right word, but it's intentionally silly and comic-book-like.

Kainan

Learned
MP1 was kind of lulzy from start to finish and wasnt intended as a too grimdark tale.

Mp2 was otoh more serious but a good developement of Max and done in a thoughtful way.

I often wondered what MP3 could be like, maybe Max working on a new case that gets him involved in some simmilar MP1 crazines. Getting even more grimdark like they did was a mistake.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing I liked most about MP2 was the improved TV shows, especially Address Unknown. The fun house levels were p. cool as well.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
This was jaw dropping technology 21 years ago.
No it wasnt... The high res faces were neat and thats about it.

Even the 3dmark2001 matrix shootout wasnt impressive... Lots of decals, tahts about it.
But on the same benchmark was teh Car Chase that was actually playable! With shaders, reflections and shit. THAT was impressive.
And the dragon flight with actual view distance beyond 50 meters...
Early shaders trailers were kewl too.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
To me, the game seems to be very obviously a parody - maybe "parody" isn't exactly the right word, but it's intentionally silly and comic-book-like.
It's not a parody but the tone isn't serious either, it's very purposefully over the top, cheesy and indulgent just like much of the material they drew inspiration from. Lighthearted pastiche built on top of a mountain of assorted American pop culture and Hong Kong action movies with some Norse mythology thrown in there for good measure. It's such a mishmash of things that it's hard to point to each individual one, both on a small scale and a bigger one. The writer not being an American but Finnish also leads to some warping, although not as strong as in say Deadly Premonition, it still turns things up another notch, further exaggerating everything.

jaydee2k

Savant
Max Payne 2 was decent...

th

I can't believe you people like Max Payne games. Played MP1 when it came out eons ago, hated it then. Playing it now, hate it even more so. Horrible gunplay hidden by the cinematic bullettime gimmick, and the most linear, boring, bland, repetitive level design EVER. Shame!

Ash

Arcane
They're decent games. OK gameplay, cool story, heavy atmosphere. The level design definitely isn't great but it's not completely terrible. Occasionally it gets moderately interesting in that regard. Definitely 100% overrated game though. To claim it is the best third person shooter? I'm guessing you haven't played third person shooters beyond the retarded cover shooter craze of the late 2000s. On a tangent but praise be once more to that shit decline era being over now.

The Punisher (2005)
Heretic 2
Resident Evil 4
The Saboteur
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Dead Space

And numerous other TPS are much better.

Max Payne would probably come in at #10 for me, if not further up the list.

Last edited:
Max Payne 1 and 2 are games I replayed a lot and can still have a great time with to this day. The Punisher and The Saboteur as superior third person action games? All I know is I couldn't stand them enough to even finish one playthrough.

Last edited:
I am not big on third person shooters in general, but if that's what that subgenre is like, KILL IT!!!

What exactly do you people like about MP gunplay? It has this tiny aiming reticule, which sometimes disappears in middle of action entirely, and can barely be seen at other times. Aiming that shit in third person is like trying to piss at night with no light on, after having had 10 Irish Car Bombs. So most times you end up by compensating for this in one of the following horrible ways:

1. Time dilation - Cheese!
2. Spamming shots with uzis/dual berrettas/assault rifles. Boring.
3. Using the spread of the shotgun. Boring.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Punisher (2005)

Max Payne clone that gets really bad with the final levels.

Heretic 2

A first-person game with a clunky-feeling third-person mode.

Resident Evil 4
Dead Space

Over-the-shoulder third person shooters feel so different from full-body tps that I wouldn't put them in the same category.

The Saboteur

I liked this, but it's a kitchen sink game that tries to do a lot of things (driving, shooting, stealth) and as a result doesn't do any one thing spectacularly well.

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Never played. Nintendo 64? Pfft.

MasPingon

Arcane
Two things I didn't like in Max Payne 2 - the change of Max appearance and getting rid of campy stuff, which made Max Payne 1 a funky trip. For me true Max Payne always had Sam Lake's face and trippy shirt. It's good continuation, but I still prefer orginal. If they'll try to standarize his appearance in remake, I hope they choose the first incarnation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom