Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo Infinite - the next Halo game

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
nice 360 graphics there

The focus on "4k 60fps" and the One S compatibility is obviously hitting how advanced the graphics look (or rather not advanced). I wonder what the overall response to that will be.

I'll play a Far Cry Halo game that looks like this, but don't ask me to be that excited about it. As their big demo for the Series X, it's quite the wet fart.

wahrk

Learned
So it looks like they just abandoned most of what they did with the previous two games and took it back to the Master Chief fighting covenant on a giant ring again (but open world this time). It’s not very original but it’s probably what they should have done from the beginning, instead of trying to reinvent Halo.

So Bungie left to make a loot shooter that fans hyped up as Halo Combat Evolved's sandbox levels but a ton of repeatable content and even despite 343's two flops, it looks like 343 is going to deliver that experience before they do in a constantly evolving title? Nice job Bungie.

343 hasn’t delivered anything yet. The only good thing they’ve done with the franchise is re-release Bungie’s old games and it took them two launches to even get that right. So I’ll believe it when I see it. Despite its flaws Destiny is a far better shooter than anything they’ve ever put out.

Garbage

Learned
mcjEPNX.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
b b but but microsoft said that making their exclusives current-gen compatible wouldn't affect the graphics :3

A horse of course

Visuals look like LEGO or some free-to-play battle royale shooter. In fairness the maps look pretty large-ish, roughly between Halo 1 and Halo 4 size. But eh. New villain doesn't seem very intimidating. SoyBeard seems like an annoying cunt.

I7jSdEx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
codexers become graphic whores every time New console games are revealed.

I'm far from a graphics whore, I just think it was a bad way to try and sell your next-gen console. It was obviously designed for the One S, and while 4k60 is a great thing (and I think consoles should target 60fps always) I don't think it had that pizazz to make people pony-up $500 or more in a few months. Sony made sure they had some real PS5 stuff to show, which was way better marketing.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Ps5 is launching with astro and not-spiderman.

Xbox is coming out with a mainline halo game on gamepass. On a console that's more powerful and apparently less expensive.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't say that's what that video is saying. It's saying the lighting kinda sucks and that's why everyone thinks it looks worse than it does.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Digital Foundry have a great video on why Halo Infinite looks stunning and incels need to sit down

Alex is right about why the game looks as it does (and IMO PBR has been sort of a kool-aid for graphics programmers, sometimes to the detriment of the final visual quality) but i do not really agree with his solution that raytracing will fix it. One issue is that the artists (or whoever decided how the game looks) didn't took how PBR looks under shadows into account (which isn't even a recent thing, there is even a mini rant from Brian Hook in GDC 1999 back when he worked at id on Quake 3's engine about how normal people can easily miss all the technical stuff because the final image isn't that great artistically).

And IMO a much simpler fix than raytracing would be to simply darken a bit the areas *away* from the light based on light/sun direction, e.g. instead of doing essentially this (brightness=ambient + max(0, dot(normal, lightdir)) or something equivalent):

us0dMaa.jpg

...it should do something like this (brightness=ambient - min(0, dot(normal, lightdir))*darken + max(0, dot(normal, lightdir))):

1pJxdYM.jpg

Technically speaking this is wrong, which is why most graphics programmers (especially those who drank the PBR kool-aid) do not do it, but... SSAO is also wrong and nobody cares much. So are all the shadow filtering algorithms. Or even the idea of local illumination. Even path tracing is technically wrong since it does the whole lighting simulation backwards.

But you know what, IMO it looks better because it lessens the flattening from the surfaces away from the light without introducing additional lighting (unlike, e.g. probes), it is *VERY* cheap to do (it doesn't affect performance at all) and provides an extra knob (the "darken" constant) for artists to twist to improve the scene lighting a bit.

GrainWetski

Arcane
To me it looks fine. Gameplay seems major improvement which is more important than them graphics.
Console shooters can't have good gameplay so all they have are graphics which happen to be shit 99% of time. This obviously being no exception.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-...knocked-down-and-freedom-to-explore-says-dev/

Halo Infinite Is Halo CE with Walls Knocked Down and Freedom to Explore, Says Dev
By Alessio Palumbo
17 hours ago
Share Tweet Submit

Halo Infinite will usher the series towards open-ended gameplay, as glimpsed in the gameplay showcased a few days ago. As part of a recent press Q&A session we were a part of, 343 Industries Studio Head Chris Lee described the approach as taking Halo Combat Evolved, knocking walls down, and giving players complete freedom to explore the ringworld.

The campaign in Halo Infinite is the most ambitious campaign we have ever created in a Halo game. It's this open, expansive experience for players, and it's several times larger than our last two campaigns put together. I think the way to think about it is this is Halo's take on open gameplay and what kind of providing the player with unprecedented levels of freedom can feel like. We really wanted to capture that moment of players being able to kind of feel what it would be like to be on a foreigner ring and unlock secrets and kind of new equipment or upgrades along the way as they're playing through the campaign. And I have one way to kind of give them more concrete examples when you're looking at the demo. We showed and you're on the elevator looking out over that vista. There's a ton of the ring that you can see there and that is just part of the space that players will be able to explore and where Master Chief's story will take you throughout our campaign experience.

One way to think about it that we talked about sometimes is to think about taking Halo CE, knocking the walls down and then giving players the freedom to explore. And while we have that kind of open experience, we do want there to be equipment and upgrades that you can find in the world along the way, so there are things that you can engage with along the way to do that as you traverse the world and continue Master Chief's story.

Halo Infinite is coming out this Holiday on PC (Steam, Microsoft Store), Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Check back later today for our full transcript of the Q&A with 343 Industries.

Translation: Halo Infinite is Halo CE without level design.

I saw a lot of confusion in articles on demo day, so here is the confirmation it's Halo: Far Cry. I love how devs still act like open worlds are this fresh and amazing thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom