Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's a given, even if Beth releases Starfield next year it'll take 4-5 years to develop ES6 after that.

Back in the Fallout 3 and Skyrim days their games came out quicker, like 3 years apart. Unless you count 76 though (which was mostly developed elsewhere) they're taking a lot longer this time. Maybe they're finally doing a new engine or maybe they have massive issues with Starfield, I dunno, but it's not inconceivable TES6 would come out sooner than that.

Either way though I'd assume this will come out first.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sometimes these "leaks" from the "insiders" feel like they are specifically orchestrated "behind the curtains" advertising. Just vague enough to not give out too much and leaving the "subject to change" notion open.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sometimes these "leaks" from the "insiders" feel like they are specifically orchestrated "behind the curtains" advertising. Just vague enough to not give out too much and leaving the "subject to change" notion open.

Yep. Bethesda has always allegedly done the same thing.

I guess it makes sense as they can push out information in a less official format and it's easier to backtrack if goals change during development.

RepHope

Savant
I wonder how much if at all will this connect to the Pillars games. Since most people playing this will have never touched those, will they keep stuff like the gods being artificial a secret or let Avowed players know as well? They really blew their load in PoE1 by telling you the gods were man made before they even bothered to make you care about why that was a big deal.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yep. Bethesda has always allegedly done the same thing.

I guess it makes sense as they can push out information in a less official format and it's easier to backtrack if goals change during development.

Yeah, also great for measuring hype for game itself and certain features before fully commiting to them. It always reminded me of USA government's back-channel talks with Talibans, not that I'd make direct comparison between gamers and desert gentlemen

Data4

Arcane
In 25 pages, it's probably already been said before, but I'm going to say it any way. They lost me at "queens and kings". That was a deliberate switching of the standard way it's said because muh womynz empowerment. Be prepared for feckless men whose puppet strings are controlled by stronk womyn, all because in [CURRENT YEAR], Obsidian staffers are still desperate to get laid by m'lady.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
In 25 pages, it's probably already been said before, but I'm going to say it any way. They lost me at "queens and kings". That was a deliberate switching of the standard way it's said because muh womynz empowerment. Be prepared for feckless men whose puppet strings are controlled by stronk womyn, all because in [CURRENT YEAR], Obsidian staffers are still desperate to get laid by m'lady.
I noticed that as well, but absent anything more substantial I can't bring myself to get triggered by it.

turkishronin

Arcane

jf8350143

Liturgist
If they manage to finish it before TES VI

That's a given, even if Beth releases Starfield next year it'll take 4-5 years to develop ES6 after that.

IF Bethesda can release Starfield next year, and they didn't pull another fallout 76 after that, then ES 6 might be a next gen game.

My bet is ES 6 is going to be a next next gen game, launch with the PS 6 and Xbox something something.

2house2fly

Magister
This is impressively deranged. Kudos.

Delterius

Arcane
He wrote the best parts in Tyranny (Barik)
You like having a literal tower of shit in your party?

Compared to the other companions in the game, yes?
I recall the scribe being pretty likeable.

I've forgotten all companions in Tyranny and I played the game just last year
i liked being an authoritarian cunt towards all of them, especially lady good guy water magic

tyranny is the best modern obsidian game and i shall never forgive Feargus Urukheart for what he did

Back in the Fallout 3 and Skyrim days their games came out quicker, like 3 years apart. Unless you count 76 though (which was mostly developed elsewhere) they're taking a lot longer this time. Maybe they're finally doing a new engine or maybe they have massive issues with Starfield, I dunno, but it's not inconceivable TES6 would come out sooner than that.

Either way though I'd assume this will come out first.

Back when 76 came out, and the rest of the Internet came to the conclusion they should have over a decade ago about Bethesda needing a new engine, (outside of some dipshit game journos writing articles about how they don't, and you don't actually understand video game engines if you think they do because: gamers bad) Bethesda made the mind boggling decision to come out and say they're still using their shit engine for Starfield. So unless something has changed, Starfield should be whatever they're calling their modded Gamebryo engine.

If Starfield is meant to have spaceships like it seemed, I'd definitely expect for them to have run into problems given Todd Howard has said the whole reason they don't have cars in Fallout is because the engine can't handle something moving that fast.

If the first person bit of this game's trailer is actually in game, or at least in-engine, I wonder if we'll be seeing this before Starfield...which we still haven't even seen yet. Development for this game could be about two years in by this point, and I wouldn't really expect development to go on more than four years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom