Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Wunderbar

Arcane
Back when 76 came out, and the rest of the Internet came to the conclusion they should have over a decade ago about Bethesda needing a new engine, (outside of some dipshit game journos writing articles about how they don't, and you don't actually understand video game engines if you think they do because: gamers bad)
except they really don't need a new engine. They just need to properly upgrade their current one.

Back when 76 came out, and the rest of the Internet came to the conclusion they should have over a decade ago about Bethesda needing a new engine, (outside of some dipshit game journos writing articles about how they don't, and you don't actually understand video game engines if you think they do because: gamers bad)
except they really don't need a new engine. They just need to properly upgrade their current one.

If they could have ironed out the problems they have with their engine they would have probably done it in the 20 years they've been using it.

Wunderbar

Arcane

If they could have ironed out the problems they have with their engine they would have probably done it in the 20 years they've been using it.
let's see how fo76 and a sudden rise of competition will affect their engine.

Codex Year of the Donut
In 25 pages, it's probably already been said before, but I'm going to say it any way. They lost me at "queens and kings". That was a deliberate switching of the standard way it's said because muh womynz empowerment. Be prepared for feckless men whose puppet strings are controlled by stronk womyn, all because in [CURRENT YEAR], Obsidian staffers are still desperate to get laid by m'lady.
This is impressively deranged. Kudos.
How is it deranged when it's right?
I realize a lot of you are retarded ESLs, but "queens and kings" is not the proper way to say it at all.

Bulo

Scholar
If they don't double down and use feminine pronouns for subjects of unspecified gender, I'll have to pen them a letter calling them out as cowards.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like anyone cares about PoE lore.

For what it's worth, Eora is the only fictional universe in which you can tell your children a story about the time a group of pious pyromaniacs blew up Jesus Christ with a consecrated nuclear bomb and have it actually be true.

Yet Obsidian managed to make even that boring.
And yet it was a far more interesting story than that of PoE 1. How I wish the game covered that war instead of what we got...

2house2fly

Magister
In 25 pages, it's probably already been said before, but I'm going to say it any way. They lost me at "queens and kings". That was a deliberate switching of the standard way it's said because muh womynz empowerment. Be prepared for feckless men whose puppet strings are controlled by stronk womyn, all because in [CURRENT YEAR], Obsidian staffers are still desperate to get laid by m'lady.
This is impressively deranged. Kudos.
How is it deranged when it's right?
I realize a lot of you are retarded ESLs, but "queens and kings" is not the proper way to say it at all.
It's perfectly intelligible and reflects the setting. It's deranged to watch a one-minute teaser with a male narrator where the only visible faces belong to a statue of a man and a skeleton, and come away with the impression that it was a feminist trailer.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Like anyone cares about PoE lore.

For what it's worth, Eora is the only fictional universe in which you can tell your children a story about the time a group of pious pyromaniacs blew up Jesus Christ with a consecrated nuclear bomb and have it actually be true.

Yet Obsidian managed to make even that boring.
And yet it was a far more interesting story than that of PoE 1. How I wish the game covered that war instead of what we got...

PoE 1 main story was a terrible, there were side plots and bits of lore that sounded far more interesting. Personally I got tired of plotlines revolving about saving the world and fighting Gods, I wish more RPGs would adapt low key stories.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
There will be no conflict between Awoved and the next Bethesda games (Elders Scrolls and Starfield, whatever). The Obsidian game will be single player while the Bethesda ones will be multiplayer focused. Obviously Obsidian already knows that and I wont be surprised if there are already undisclosed agreements between Obsidian (or Microzozz) and Bethesda.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Discussing Obsidian always brings out the worst in people. Or brings out the worst people. It's really quite frustrating.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's probably the issue, 20 years of legacy code and no refactoring. I bet a lot of the original engine devs have moved on and others are scared to touch sections of the engine "because it just works and if you look at it funny it stops working".

Putting the effort into making your code maintainable early on pays dividends down the line.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Just read on a 4chan thread that there are rumours swirling around that the game is supposed to take place in the Living Lands. Apparently my guess/wish might've been correct.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
I think the there's a big chance that it would be set during the later years of the Engwythian empire;
and the story would explore premises and immediate consequences of gods creation.
Maybe through the eyes of a Leaden Key agent, perhaps even Thaos himself.
This way Obsidian would introduce the focal point of their setting to the people not familiar with Pillars.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I think the there's a big chance that it would be set during the later years of the Engwythian empire;
and the story would explore premises and immediate consequences of gods creation.
Maybe through the eyes of a Leaden Key agent, perhaps even Thaos himself.
This way Obsidian would introduce the focal point of their setting to the people not familiar with Pillars.

Hasn't it been already confirmed by one of the developers it takes place after the events of Pillars of Eternity II?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom