Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Welp, Microsoft sucks dick with their marketing.

Gamepass is one thing but just talking about the console as "most powerful evah" and still put up a hour long showcase without any games running on it such a dumbfuck move its not even funny.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
These morons are pricing gaming into extiction.
They are pricing consoles into extinction.

PC users have tons of venues to buy at lower prices like G2A and key resellers, plus console users insist on their fabled "$2'000 computer" because they don't want to admit that $600 is largely enough to get AAA titles in 1080p/60 or 4K/30. Add the price of online services and consoles have always been a subpar budget solution.

Consoles might be in trouble if people don't take the Plus/Pass bait.
Literally the first result of the link you posted is a 900+ build right now.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Welp, Microsoft sucks dick with their marketing.

Gamepass is one thing but just talking about the console as "most powerful evah" and still put up a hour long showcase without any games running on it such a dumbfuck move its not even funny.

Can't believe I'd ever say that, but Xbox under the old greedy management (Mattrick, Ybarra, Allard) was more exciting than this Phil "Gamepass" Spencer bollocks.

soulburner

Cipher
The developers of the upcoming Xbox Series X and PC game 'The Medium' have revealed system requirements for their game on Steam.

qhwT71i.png

Rejoice taxalot, your gtx 980 is now the minimum requirement.

Well, the system requirements posted for games are usually bullshit anyway. Games either have much lower requirements in reality or... much higher. However, I call bullshit on these because they put an Intel Core i5 9600 next to the Ryzen 7 3700X in the recommended section. Why bullshit? Because the 9600 is a 6 core/6 thread CPU, while the 3700X is 8 core/16 thread. If something runs on the 9600 it will also run on the Ryzen 3600.

abija

Prophet
Well, the system requirements posted for games are usually bullshit anyway. Games either have much lower requirements in reality or... much higher. However, I call bullshit on these because they put an Intel Core i5 9600 next to the Ryzen 7 3700X in the recommended section. Why bullshit? Because the 9600 is a 6 core/6 thread CPU, while the 3700X is 8 core/16 thread. If something runs on the 9600 it will also run on the Ryzen 3600.
That's obviously done by the marketing team, only explanation for DX11 in left column.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't believe I'd ever say that, but Xbox under the old greedy management (Mattrick, Ybarra, Allard) was more exciting than this Phil "Gamepass" Spencer bollocks.

Very different era for Microsoft though, I'm sure Spencer has orders from on high to focus on services above anything else. I mean he still fucked up not having more games to show (didn't they buy these devs years ago?). I don't blame him for Gamepass though.

Shinji

Savant
That's obviously done by the marketing team, only explanation for DX11 in left column
Well technically what you can achieve with D3D12 and Vulkan you can also achieve with OpenGL and D3D11 (at the moment), but with some extra overhead.

Though some new stuff such as hardware raytracing is being exposed only to newer APIs (though I think you can still do some form of raytracing via compute shaders on older APIs, which is slower)

In the future, developers that want to use these high-end features will probably ditch those older APIs.

mk0

Learned
Is this even possible?
lol no.

I think the plan is to get these '399$' people to swipe their credit cards in defeat once the hype train reaches its destination, that's why both parties are shy about revealing pricing.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Losing money on console itself but recuperating it through other means is part and parcel of consoles so that doesn't sound that far-fetched. Especially in the era of 1 dorra gamepasses n shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Losing money on console itself but recuperating it through other means is part and parcel of consoles so that doesn't sound that far-fetched. Especially in the era of 1 dorra gamepasses n shit.

Yes. $299 would still be crazy low though, for those specs. I think most are assuming they'll take a bigger loss on the digital only version to sell at $399 like last time, expecting more digital revenue from games and online subs. But $299 would be pretty fucking crazy. I guess stranger things have happened in this world though.

MS ending yearly subscriptions have people believing their big Fall surprise will be free multiplayer, which would be the opposite of this.

mk0

Learned
PS3 PS5

Sony lost billions of dollars due to the high cost of the PS3, they're not going to repeat the same mistake again.

abija

Prophet
That's obviously done by the marketing team, only explanation for DX11 in left column
Well technically what you can achieve with D3D12 and Vulkan you can also achieve with OpenGL and D3D11 (at the moment), but with some extra overhead.
And what is the point when your minimum required hardware supports the better api?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DLSS 2.0 is here to save the day. It takes care of crawling and shimmering as well as reconstruct at a higher resolution.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Gotta love those videos where they zoom in 400% to search for blemishes in hair. We used to make fun of graphic whoring about "seeing the fear in an Orc's eye", except this is worse.

Whatever. The industry gotta keep nagging to pay for all that bloat.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Gotta love those videos where they zoom in 400% to search for blemishes in hair. We used to make fun of graphic whoring about "seeing the fear in an Orc's eye", except this is worse.

Whatever. The industry gotta keep nagging to pay for all that bloat.

Ultimately this is about the fixed function rasterizer (menace) , favoritism is so incessant and so efficient in dragging down discussion, nvidia can sell undersampling as the next best thing.
IRL deviate just a little from this and you don't have unbiased (true) reconstruction :
Pixel_vs_subpixel_precision.gif

File:Pixel_vs_subpixel_precision.gif

Last edited:

Lunac

Arcane
Seems the only question is which console to get?! Now that it has been confirmed that both consoles are featuring next-after-next level gen hardware, you know: crazy amount of cores (32+) high clocks (6GHz boosts even) crazy IPC counts (double or triple the best Intel or AMD have to offer right now) all of it while drawing less power than a powered off iPhone! Also, resolution, 24k carat gold rated resolution that is, and beyond. Also, textures, these games have so many textures, like at least a hundred. Maybe two hundred even. (Some rumors even say three hundred textures!) What power!!

Fucken ponces! Every god-damn console cycle it's the same shit. Some of you are at least half my age and should know better and have seen at least few of these cycles and garbage tier marketing that preempts the circus know as the launch date.

Cromwell

Arcane
Some of you are at least half my age and should know better and have seen at least few of these cycles and garbage tier marketing that preempts the circus know as the launch date.

I bought so much steam games over the years that I will never play put in the backlog, I may as well buy a console with gamepass to almost never use. I am too old to rage about marketing and just buy whatever I want at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom