Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===
A - 7 (9)
B - 3 (1)
C - 7 (8)

Nevill - A
Azira - A>C
Tigranes - A
Orbit - A
ERYFKRAD - A>B
CappenVarra - A>B>C
asxetos - A>C

Grimgravy - B>C
ItsChon - B>A>C
baud - B>A

Lambchop19 -C
Baltika9 - C
Kalarion - C
Kz3r0 - C
ChumBucket - C
hello friend - C
Kipeci - C>A

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck no, we're not uprooting Rain from her stable existence this early in her childhood, not to mention bailing on the first person who ever showed us any kindness at all.
Tlalli is expected back in about a year (since a year has passed). I suppose by then uprooting Rain would be totally a-ok because she'd be late in her childhood, and we'd be taking Father McClellan with us?

If not, then what is the difference? We have already decided to leave; we are only choosing whether it happens early in the year.

There are reasons to go with C: see what Uridimmu is about, and try to get a handle on demonic powers with a noble goal in mind, but as far as leading a stable life goes, the choice was made already.
Of course we're going for harem ending, but family first eh?
Umm... I know this is the Codex, but can we not?

Even Jing, as charismatic as he was, barely managed to keep a lid on that pot, and he was built for it (and his Luck stat was inversely proportional to the harem size).

Poor Wrinkly is nowhere near that smooth, and we should not try to emulate it. Just pick a relationship and stick to it.

Kipeci

Arcane
We need to change per our newspaper’s astrology department, and inviting a strange demon into our lives could be just the ticket to improve our love life! Shame to miss out on the cool sword he was offering earlier though. Moving works too.

C > A.

Baltika9

Arcane
Even Jing, as charismatic as he was, barely managed to keep a lid on that pot, and he was built for it (and his Luck stat was inversely proportional to the harem size.

Poor Wrinkly is nowhere near that smooth, and we should not try to emulate it. Just pick a relationship and stick to it.
As I recall, the harem recruited Jing to be their gigolo, Qilin had to literally strip herself to get our attention, and we 'only' had sex with Qilin and Yunzi. And Cao'er pegged us.

As far as 'harems' go, I'm glad that treave didn't go full teenage power fantasy on us. I doubt he'll do so in this CYOA.

And I really don't want to do the tryhard 'Harem King' song and dance again, which is partly why I was advocating for a proper Uranian relationship between Wrinkly and Andrew: we can be the Ying to his Yang, and avoid romantic entanglements with women altogether.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In this case Tlalli knowledge and alchemy could be the answer.
treave is it possibile to have this as choice?

You are far from having the required knowledge and intelligence to even begin investigating this, unfortunately.

Will check the votes in around 24 hours.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But an illness can be hunted. It can be devoured.
This doesn't seem right men. You treat illnesses, you don't hunt or devour them. It's like he's giving a half measure to keep drawing you in. I understand the rationale in taking the deal but it's not gonna work, I think.

Baltika9

Arcane
But an illness can be hunted. It can be devoured.
This doesn't seem right men. You treat illnesses, you don't hunt or devour them. It's like he's giving a half measure to keep drawing you in. I understand the rationale in taking the deal but it's not gonna work, I think.
Nah, I think that we're going to do some magical and metaphysical mumbo-jumbo to with his guidance to cure her. And he's not technically wrong: illnesses can be bacterial or viral, eliminate the carriers and you eliminate the disease.

And Cao'er pegged us.
Pretty sure that was a dream.
I don't care to hear otherwise, dammit.
Cao'er does what she wants. Jing belongs to her forever and ever.

Nevill

Arcane
You treat illnesses, you don't hunt or devour them.
It makes sense? Kill the rot, save the body. It is certainly in the Hound's purview to see everything through the prism of a hunt.

My concern is that we have absolutely no idea about any of this, including the consequences. As he still doesn't mention the price (which is the fact that ultimately turned us away from the last offer), I suspect that the act itself would extoll it, and we don't know who will be paying it.

The Hound is inhuman, mind, and would fail to see a problem where humans will. Elizabeth could get a couple of cute dog-ears as a result of her treatment. I guess Baltika would be delighted with that development, he long wanted to touch that fluffy tail.:M

Or she could become a vessel for yet more Uridimmu. Or we could get worn as a human sockpuppet. Anything could happen, as we are essentially PRAYing to a godlike entity without reading ToS.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
why yes, demonic entities of destruction and hate are known to make the VERY best healers

if you kill the patient, the sickness cannot :M

EDIT: flip-floppin' to

A > B

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
B>A>C

Moving to New Vienna is a shitty option, but it's better than succumbing to the demon. This is literally the first fucking temptation that's thrown at us and we're going to succumb? Let's save selling our soul for Rain please? As for why going to New Vienna is shit, let's just look at the possibilities.

1) We go to New Vienna and Elizabeth is cured. Great. Now we get to sit in a city, away from the woods that we're familiar with and need to hone our craft and practice our Astras. We have no plan for the future, as we'll be abandoning our earliest opportunity to try and join the Hunter's Association.

2) We go to New Vienna and Elizabeth dies anyway. Obviously the worst case scenario, as we'll have lost out on our chance to go with Tlalli and we'll have to deal with the grief of losing Elizabeth. Imagine staying in the same house as her parents? With our presence being a constant reminder of their amazing child that they lost?

Too much wishful fucking thinking for all these people that want to go to New Vienna, and the puppy crowd are just in it for the memes. Let's say we do cure Elizabeth, who knows how going with the demon will effect us? It could lead to further corruption, it could lead to souring our potential relationship with Sophie. If we were going to just throw that out the window, why did we vote to talk and spend time with her? What if we can't join the Hunter's Association if we have this type of rot on us. And like I said, save this nuclear option for Rain. If Rain was sick I'd be all for it, but not for Elizabeth.

Nevill

Arcane
We have no plan for the future, as we'll be abandoning our earliest opportunity to try and join the Hunter's Association.
Can I point something out real quick?
At present, the Association operates in individual cells; teams scattered across the floors which keep a look out for monsters and hunt them down, especially ones which have preyed upon humans. Their main headquarters remains in Londinium, although they have branch offices in most of the large cities.
They have branch offices in large cities, and New Vienna is one of the major hubs people pass through to get to the upper floors.

If Tlalli doesn't take us by hand and walk us in, nothing stops us from contacting the Association ourselves. We may not have Tlalli's personal recommendation (though she could always swing by if she knows where we are), but they can check in with her about us, and they are accepting members based on merit anyway.

Nothing in the choice descriptions indicates that joining or not joining the Hunter's Association is a consideration.

And...
We go to New Vienna and Elizabeth is cured. Great.
If I know anything about rare supernatural diseases, they require a feather plucked out of a phoenix's ass at midnight or something equally ridiculous to create a remedy, and that is something we might be able to help procure. I don't know for sure, I just think that us coming along might make a difference.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
Tlalli is expected back in about a year (since a year has passed). I suppose by then uprooting Rain would be totally a-ok because she'd be late in her childhood,
Yes?
and we'd be taking Father McClellan with us?
No
but as far as leading a stable life goes, the choice was made already.
C is more stable-er.

Hey, don't worry, man. It'll be fine.

And you of all people should understand the benefit of fighting disease with force and extreme prejudice vs just bearing with it like some kind of loser.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And you of all people should understand the benefit of fighting disease with force and extreme prejudice
No, barbarians rarely fail their fort saves in the first place.
I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with the C team, I'm simply doubting if it will do any good.

Baltika9

Arcane
And you of all people should understand the benefit of fighting disease with force and extreme prejudice
No, barbarians rarely fail their fort saves in the first place.
I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with the C team, I'm simply doubting if it will do any good.
The ancients knew to trust a good dog.
domesticated-dogs.jpg

Moving to New Vienna is a shitty option, but it's better than succumbing to the demon. This is literally the first fucking temptation that's thrown at us and we're going to succumb? Let's save selling our soul for Rain please?
This is technically our second temptation. We already gave him the perfunctory 'no.'

ChumBucket

Augur
I think we will be alienating Rain by going for C since she and the doggie are probably not compatible.
That may not be the case. Remember two things. First he could have been summoned to hunt her initially at someone else's behest:
The magicians call upon mere pieces of mine and bestow upon them the name of Marchosias, deluding themselves into believing that they have truly tapped into my insight and power.
Second, we called Rain into that dream to help us:
As you prepare to step inside, you feel concern for:
C. Rain. Perhaps you should never have gone to the ruins if it meant leaving her alone for so long. You wonder how she is doing, and pray that she is fine.

ChumBucket

Augur
Vienna, and the puppy crowd are just in it for the memes.
Quite the contrary. I merely have a sense of humor. I just think the one thing Uridimmu was being completely honest with us was this:
You will be drawn into a dangerous path that is not of this world. Not of my world and not of yours. At that time, you will have no choice but to accept my aid in desperation.
It is entirely possible if we ignore him that we will continue to loose things that will keep our character invested in this world and have any desire to protect it. After we have lost everything that we love we will take his deal, and instead of tempering that darkness with our love we will loose ourselves completely to him and be nothing more than his empty vessel.

Baltika9

Arcane
It is entirely possible if we ignore him that we will continue to loose things that will keep our character invested in this world and have any desire to protect it. After we have lost everything that we love we will take his deal, and instead of tempering that darkness with our love we will loose ourselves completely to him and be nothing more than his empty vessel.
That's a rather nuanced take on the situation, thank you for sharing.

As far as his assumed 'incompatibility' with Rain is concerned, I think you gents who are putting down Uridimmu forget that his fragments/Marchosias do the bidding of their summoner. It's not him we have a quarrel with, but the person who summoned his fragment.

All dogs are good.

Nevill

Arcane
As far as his assumed 'incompatibility' with Rain is concerned, I think you gents who are putting down Uridimmu forget that his fragments/Marchosias do the bidding of their summoner. It's not him we have a quarrel with, but the person who summoned his fragment.
It's complicated. Uridimmu is a voice of violence, and he makes suggestions to lesser men:
But I am and always will be the Hound, the companion to the nightmares of Man, the whisperer of violence in your hearts, the mightiest of the eleven primordial demons.
His fragments are connected to the great whole, and he likely is aware of what his "marked" are doing. He might not be able to control them, but he loans them his power so long as they perform violent acts.
At least, this is my read. What he gets out of it is unknown; perhaps it is his nature and he just can't do otherwise, perhaps it serves some kind of plan. Me, I think the doggo wants out.
I must savour the first offering to enter my domain after an eternity of solitude and hunger.
You wonder to yourself, innocuously and with genuine curiosity, why he is trapped here all alone and hungry if he is so mighty. In response, the six eyes flash in anger, purple flames blazing to the ceiling.
An eternity of solitude and hunger don't make it look like he stays there of his own volition.
But he could also want more people sent to his halls, or something else entirely.

Anyway, even if he isn't the mastermind, it still makes him an accomplice to the murder of Rain's mother, and the attempted murder of Rain.
It's not that he is evil or is actively seeking her death so much as he is a mercenary force employed to kill them, with no objections raised. How much that matters to Rain is anyone's guess; I suppose that if we start relying on the Hound she will find a way to reconcile that rather than lose the one and only family she has.

Also, on the matter of Rain, I didn't see people commenting on this bit:
You take the child in your arms and she clings on tightly, bawling her eyes out, as if she would never let go of you again. "How strange," murmurs the old matron. "She was quiet all this while but started crying shortly before you came back."
It looks like Rain has some kind of tele- or em- pathic connection to us. Or is it to her necklace that we are wearing? It would explain her appearance in the dream.

It lends credence to the theory that the power of her amulet may be a borrowed one.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Also, on the matter of Rain, I didn't see people commenting on this bit:
It looks like Rain has some kind of tele- or em- pathic connection to us. Or is it to her necklace that we are wearing? It would explain her appearance in the dream.
I thought she was crying because we didn't bring her anything.

ChumBucket

Augur
I didn't see people commenting on this bit:
Where do you think I got the idea that our power was borrowed? +M
Anyway, even if he isn't the mastermind, it still makes him an accomplice to the murder of Rain's mother, and the attempted murder of Rain.
I disagree on this point. Uridimmu is a primordial, which makes him a different creature from a god. While gods harness many different domains to exert their will and influence in the world, primordials actually are the living embodiment of the things they represent. Uridimmu will ALWAYS hunger, hunt, and kill; it is his very essence. To blame him is no different than blaming a storm for knocking over your house when you failed to build it properly, or blaming a gun for killing your friend instead of the man who pulled the trigger.

I would also like to point out in most mythologies, gods gained their power by tricking/stealing/enslaving the primordial powers. Perhaps that is why Uridimmu lies forgotten in his pyramid. What treave has revealed to us so far implies there is a war between the gods of this world, and that people like Rasputin, John Bull, and Tlalli are their agents. If we are going to be fighting with gods, I would rather be fighting them on their terms with powers on par with what they harness, instead of using the trickle they provide us to fight on their behalf. We have a high will and high con character which makes us exceedingly resilient; the kind of person that is capable of harnessing such energies. Not only that, our sign is that of water, a transformative changing power capable of redirecting things towards new ends. Granted Uridimmu is Fire, but this would create an interesting yin/yang dynamic within our character. Now I can understand if you feel we are not ready to test ourselves, but as I stated in previous posts he is a darkness we must tame or we will only invite disaster in our character's life.

Edit: I would also like to add my advocacy for making the deal is to ensure we don't forget this. I don't know if we are at a point of no return on this, but if we fall into the trap of "fire dog bad" we could get ourselves into trouble later on a vote that we thought was inconsequential.

Last edited:

Orbit

Scholar
treave: Can we ask Sophie if she is in any way involved with Lizzies illness? We know that something funky is going on with her soul or whatever. And she is rather not so secretly into us. Her disappointment after dream quest was probably due to us not confessing our everlasting love to her, too. The constant rivalry with Liz might have pushed her over the edge to ask that ghost thingie to take care of Liz.

It's best to tell her straight to the face that this is the last chance to save her soul and that we couldn't ever love an evil woman. Either she admits everything or we'll have burned all bridges and voting A is going to be a no-brainer. Basically a win-win situation.

Tigranes

Arcane
Sounds like a very paranoid sociopath thing to do

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom