Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the there's a big chance that it would be set during the later years of the Engwythian empire;
and the story would explore premises and immediate consequences of gods creation.
Maybe through the eyes of a Leaden Key agent, perhaps even Thaos himself.
This way Obsidian would introduce the focal point of their setting to the people not familiar with Pillars.

Hasn't it been already confirmed by one of the developers it takes place after the events of Pillars of Eternity II?

I must have missed it. Oh well, it's a missed opportunity I guess.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think the there's a big chance that it would be set during the later years of the Engwythian empire;
and the story would explore premises and immediate consequences of gods creation.
This way Obsidian would introduce the focal point of their setting to the people not familiar with Pillars.

Hasn't it been already confirmed by one of the developers it takes place after the events of Pillars of Eternity II?

It hasn't afaik.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Ed2rkKEUwAAb0xw

Ed2rkoQU0AA4C_H

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-had-me-at-halo.246538/page-252#post-40806123

Pillars of Daggerfall: Dark Messiah of Dishonoured

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's true that that "kill Gods" stories can get very boring. Personally I prefer "smaller" stories that have to do with a significant event in a region or faction's history. For one it would be nice to have a story where you see a new faction arising at the end of a game, or the consequest or discovery of a new region. Stuff that is usually left for history books in RPGs, but which are far more interesting than the main quest. When it comes to TES, I thought the history between Morrowind and Black Marsh/Argonia was pretty cool.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Living lands but doesn't say when

It's true that that "kill Gods" stories can get very boring. Personally I prefer "smaller" stories that have to do with a significant event in a region or faction's history. For one it would be nice to have a story where you see a new faction arising at the end of a game, or the consequest or discovery of a new region. Stuff that is usually left for history books in RPGs, but which are far more interesting than the main quest.
I perfer you can kill gods if you're strong enough and if gods are mortal and bad like in greek mythology. I assume large bosses are likely to be gods and dragons.

Salvo

Arcane
It's going to be set during the Saints War, the oathbreaker will be about them killing their god, you play as Eder
you read it here first

Would unironically be a better choice than whatever generic stuff they want to go with

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
told you it would be The Living Lands.

when?

june 2017:
Something like Fallout 3 was New Vegas for Obs so something like Skyrim will be The Living Lands for Obs(peered into the future).

Tho I still think it'll be in Aedyr Empire :P the trailer screamed generic setting

Josh Sawyer Q&A thread - page 80. And yes, Quillon was spot on, since The Living Lands are supposed to be a mish-mash of valleys with very different climates. As I've mentioned on a different thread, years ago I asked Sawyer about this region, and he compared it to "Medieval Iceland mixed with Alice in Wonderland." If you have the patience, you can probably find it on his blog. Nevermind - found it.

"If Iceland were much larger and full of mountains and valleys that contained insane wonders, that’s kind of what The Living Lands are like. People come from around the world as treasure/adventure-seekers, live around the coasts, and venture inland to make their fortunes or die (usually die)."

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/158161818391/hello-sir-a-question-regarding-a-certain-part-of

So at the very least it will not be a "we're going to NOT-America" episode.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
If Iceland were much larger and full of mountains and valleys that contained insane wonders, that’s kind of what The Living Lands are like. People come from around the world as treasure/adventure-seekers, live around the coasts, and venture inland to make their fortunes or die (usually die)."
I wonder if they're gonna have collaboration with ninja theory since they're also doing Hellblade 2 based in Iceland.

Data4

Arcane
In 25 pages, it's probably already been said before, but I'm going to say it any way. They lost me at "queens and kings". That was a deliberate switching of the standard way it's said because muh womynz empowerment. Be prepared for feckless men whose puppet strings are controlled by stronk womyn, all because in [CURRENT YEAR], Obsidian staffers are still desperate to get laid by m'lady.
This is impressively deranged. Kudos.
How is it deranged when it's right?
I realize a lot of you are retarded ESLs, but "queens and kings" is not the proper way to say it at all.
It's perfectly intelligible and reflects the setting. It's deranged to watch a one-minute teaser with a male narrator where the only visible faces belong to a statue of a man and a skeleton, and come away with the impression that it was a feminist trailer.

Oh my sweet Summer's child...

2house2fly

Magister
This wouldn't really make sense given the trailer; the flags show Woedica's broken crown which would have become her symbol some time after the gods' creation. The Aedyr empire is something like a thousand years old, so this could plausibly be set 100+ years prior to the Pillars games

Quillon

Arcane

Last thing I'd expect from this game is a pre-defined MC, worse yet a pre-defined MC that's already been used in the story.

Tho imagine Obsidian pulling a Revan, that halfway through our custom character turns out to be reincarnated Thaos :P

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This wouldn't really make sense given the trailer; the flags show Woedica's broken crown which would have become her symbol some time after the gods' creation.
The Aedyr empire is something like a thousand years old, so this could plausibly be set 100+ years prior to the Pillars games

It's just a speculation on my side, but I don't think the gods were created just randomly.
More likely than not, their creation was affected (if not outright prepared even) by cults or organizations with certain sets of beliefs.
Also, considering impact the mass sacrifces causes, it would not be a stretch of logic to expect Engwithian to prepare for the future by setting up Leaden Key and maybe it's connection to Woedica beforehand.

Last thing I'd expect from this game is a pre-defined MC, worse yet a pre-defined MC that's already been used in the story.

Tho imagine Obsidian pulling a Revan, that halfway through our custom character turns out to be reincarnated Thaos :P

Yeah, that's the whole thing with animancy and the wheel of souls, - the body is just a vessel for reincarnating soul.
So "Thaos" can really be male or female of any race.

Tenebris

Scholar
This wouldn't really make sense given the trailer; the flags show Woedica's broken crown which would have become her symbol some time after the gods' creation.
The Aedyr empire is something like a thousand years old, so this could plausibly be set 100+ years prior to the Pillars games

It's just a speculation on my side, but I don't think the gods were created just randomly.
More likely than not, their creation was affected (if not outright prepared even) by cults or organizations with certain sets of beliefs.
Also, considering impact the mass sacrifces causes, it would not be a stretch of logic to expect Engwithian to prepare for the future by setting up Leaden Key and maybe it's connection to Woedica beforehand.

Yeah, that's the whole thing with animancy and the wheel of souls, - the body is just a vessel for reincarnating soul.
So "Thaos" can really be male or female of any race.

Doesn't Thaos always come back as the same Thaos though? I remember the game mentioning something like that.

Quillon

Arcane
He retains all memory from prev. lives but don't remember if he retains appearance. But we decide his soul's fate at the end of PoE1

• Return his soul to the cycle
  • Destroy his soul, stating the past he carried has been a burden to himself
  • Banish him to the soul prison, Breith Eaman
  • Erase his memories and let him be reborn free of the burden of the past
  • Destroy his soul, stating that he has caused too much pain for the PC and deserves to die

so for him to come back they'd need to choose a canon(maybe 4th option for Revaning it up) or retcon stuff

not a fan of either practice tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom