Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
How come? (Not played the game).
From what I remember:
  • Map design not as open as Volga/Caspian and not as tightly designed as Dead City.
  • Pacing drags you through by the nose since you only have so much time before the sun rises.
  • One particular area they obviously did not playtest with stealthy ghost/pacifist player where you need to get away on a rowboat which is slow, makes lots of noise, and presumably resets visiblity as if you're standing under light source.
  • Level's gimmicks of being stripped of all your equipment and having a big fuckoff bear you fight multiple times mixes as well as oil and water.
  • In the context of the story the mission is complete filler, you're separated from your team and need to get back.
  • Dinky crossbow is Exodus's replacement for the Helsing :(
The best thing I have to say about it is that the schoolkids who grow up to be pirate LARPers is a way more creative and interesting group than the Cultists/Slavers you meet in the other levels, shame there is virtually no normal interactions with them unlike the other two.

Last edited:
I just refunded this piece of shit.

The combat mechanics are absolutely garbage. Yeah, I understand why normies would enjoy them but they are absolute garbage for someone learned with Cs:Go mechanics. At least that game gets something right.

Clunky movement and controls, press E to climb ladders, unreliable stealth, cannot drag bodies, no FOV slider, retarded AI with wallhack, long cutscenes, stiff animations and dialogues written by imbeciles. The prologue is abysmal and there is not way the latter experience will be better considering the things I've mentioned.

But the thing which drove me up the wall was: press E fast to turn on/off light sources, keep E pressed to loot cupboards, keep E pressed slightly less that before to loot bodies and tap E when you to free yourself from a monster. They didn't even bother to calibrated the PC controls. Also keep E pressed on each quick-load because let's waste more time.

On top of that I got frame stuttering at 1440p on a brand new RTX 2070 Super with all drivers updated and m.2 nvme SSD (!?) Every other game works well except Exodus :/ Yeah, I no longer care about graphic tweaks at this moment.

I was a big fan of Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light but Exodus is insulting imho. I don't know. Maybe I got older but the previous games were not so retarded.

Redux was good, even if the ceiling tongues were a total ripoff of Half Life.

I have good memories of the original and Last Light.

Onto Exodus...

Total failure of a game, for whatever reason it reminded me of Fallout 4, which was abysmal.

The QTE's, terrible in-game cuttscenes, dialogue, environments, pointless missions, boring main storyline, idiot train plot device, annoying wife sidekick, the fact that all loot is 1 of 2 crafting items or a weapon, the fact that all loot is equally deposited in small amounts in the game world...

I can go on and on.

Total shit.

I'm probably nearing endgame and so far I rate it:

:5/5::0/5:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Metro was always shit. Exodus is just shit as well.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them shit, but I've always felt they were vastly inferior to the STALKER series.

I remember being really excited when Metro was in dev and they said it was going to be heavily inspired by STALKER. The reality was quite a disappointment.

Perkel

Arcane

I wouldn't go as far as calling them shit, but I've always felt they were vastly inferior to the STALKER series.

I remember being really excited when Metro was in dev and they said it was going to be heavily inspired by STALKER. The reality was quite a disappointment.

It was always shitty linear fps with emphasis on "immersion" so that casuls would like it. Being angry about exodus being that when whole series was like that is retarded.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It was always shitty linear fps with emphasis on "immersion" so that casuls would like it. Being angry about exodus being that when whole series was like that is retarded.

I don't mean Exodus specifically, when Metro 2033 was in development the devs were selling the series as being a STALKER successor.

They even used the Call of Pripyat engine in the early builds.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Metro 2033 was first envisioned as an open-world game but then the devs realised it was better to actually make a working linear game that they can actually make, ship and make money with.

ekrolo2

Learned
I was never bothered by the Metro games being linear. After all the open-world shit of the past few years, I'll take linear that's actually fun over another big, sprawling open-world!... 70% of which doesn't need to be there in the vast majority of games that try it.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Metro 2033 was first envisioned as an open-world game but then the devs realised it was better to actually make a working linear game that they can actually make, ship and make money with.

So that's how Fallout76 came about, they let an opening for Todd to push his absolute nostandards nonsensical charade ( tautology I know).:imokay:

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Love this whole series including Exodus. Only real complaint about Exodus is that it's too cutscene-heavy, locking you in rooms and making you fidget around with your radio and stuff like a high-functioning autist while other characters talk about what to do without you. Didn't like the looting/crafting stuff either but I ignore that in literally every game it's in and didn't really have any issues playing without it.

The linearity is one of its strengths. I remember when Metro 2033 came out I was relieved to have something that felt in some ways like a modern successor to Half-Life, Unreal, Soldier of Fortune, Red Faction, and other older corridor shooters that had linear, tight level design as one of their key design points, making every map a hand-crafted journey through a bunch of really cool scripted shit and carefully designed combat encounters. The setting helped too - FPS games set in interesting and unusual fictional worlds were becoming an increasing rarity thanks to the insane oversaturation of fucking military shooters.

The open world hubs in Exodus are okay, but the best parts of the game are still the scripted areas where you're following a linear route, because that's what the series is best at. People who complain about linear games are confusing. Linear and open-world are both two different styles that achieve different things, and the best examples of each are fantastic games. Criticising a game for not being open world is like complaining about episodic television, and demanding everything be serialised instead - which is bascially what's happened with TV and it was a huge, huge mistake IMO.

Love this whole series including Exodus. Only real complaint about Exodus is that it's too cutscene-heavy, locking you in rooms and making you fidget around with your radio and stuff like a high-functioning autist while other characters talk about what to do without you. Didn't like the looting/crafting stuff either but I ignore that in literally every game it's in and didn't really have any issues playing without it.

The linearity is one of its strengths. I remember when Metro 2033 came out I was relieved to have something that felt in some ways like a modern successor to Half-Life, Unreal, Soldier of Fortune, Red Faction, and other older corridor shooters that had linear, tight level design as one of their key design points, making every map a hand-crafted journey through a bunch of really cool scripted shit and carefully designed combat encounters. The setting helped too - FPS games set in interesting and unusual fictional worlds were becoming an increasing rarity thanks to the insane oversaturation of fucking military shooters.

The open world hubs in Exodus are okay, but the best parts of the game are still the scripted areas where you're following a linear route, because that's what the series is best at. People who complain about linear games are confusing. Linear and open-world are both two different styles that achieve different things, and the best examples of each are fantastic games. Criticising a game for not being open world is like complaining about episodic television, and demanding everything be serialised instead - which is bascially what's happened with TV and it was a huge, huge mistake IMO.

Exodus isn't that linear though.

In fact, the levels are a half-assed attempt to make it a sandbox shooter, but there is absolutely no point to complete side quests because better loot and/or XP doesn't exist in this game.

Aside from a pair of night vision goggles which are barely superior to the default flashlight, collecting a bunch of chemicals and scraps for crafting isn't worth it because you lose an equal amount of resources as you progress through the game world and waste it on mobs.

Lemming42

Arcane
I've only played Exodus once, and that was back on release, so you know it better than I do. But all the parts I remember fondly were more or less linear. I remember some kind of big vertical structure in the desert full of raiders that was a lot of fun to sneak through, as well as the bunker full of insane cannibals, stuff like that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
While announcing the acquisition by Embracer Group (THQ Nordic) they announced 4A is working on a multiplayer Metro game and a new AAA IP. https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-acquires-4a-games/

Embracer Group and Saber Interactive are the perfect partners for 4A Games and for our next phase of growth. Together we will continue to build on the Metro franchise and will focus on bringing a multiplayer experience to our fanbase. We look forward to building a new and even more ambitious AAA IP in the near future” says Dean Sharpe, CEO 4A Games

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Metro game in the vein of Hunt Showdown would be fucking awesome IMO.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-future-of-metro-4a-games-reveal-their-plans-for-the-series/
tl:dr next gen updates, linux/Mac versions, talking about multiplayer for the next game.
THE FUTURE OF METRO - 4A GAMES REVEAL THEIR PLANS FOR THE SERIES
Developer 4A Games (makers of the Metro series), have published a major studio update to celebrate what has been a milestone year for both the studio and the Metro series, and reveal their future plans for both Metro and some exciting new projects.

You can read the full update on the 4A Games website here but we wanted to share with you the main highlights for the Metro series.

Metro Exodus is coming to Xbox Series X / S and PlayStation5

"We’re currently hard at work on bringing Metro Exodus to Xbox Series X| S and PlayStation 5 next year. While we can’t share all the details just yet, you should expect major enhancements including faster frame rate, increased resolution, reduced loading times, and stunning Ray Tracing features made possible by the new hardware. The new consoles are amazing, and will allow us to deliver visual enhancements and performance only possible on state of the art PC hardware and RTX enabled cards - until now.

We’re happy to confirm that these enhanced versions will also be made available as a free upgrade to all existing owners. That means if you already own Metro Exodus on Xbox One or PlayStation 4, whether digitally or on disc, you will be able to upgrade to this enhanced version on the next generation on consoles for free.

And if you’ve yet to pick up the game on Gen 8, you can do so safe in the knowledge you will get the enhanced version for free should you upgrade your console in the future.”

Linux and Mac version of Metro Exodus are on their way

"Aside from these enhanced versions for Gen 9, we recently brought Metro Exodus to more players through Amazon’s ‘Luna’ streaming service; and we’re also working on dedicated Linux and Mac versions of the game. We’ll share more information about these closer to release.”

The Future of Metro

"It’s no secret that we have already started work on the next Metro game. Using everything we’ve learned from the last 15 years, we’ve set our sights even higher – the next title is being built for Gen 9 consoles and PC, with a complete overhaul of our engine and renderer to take advantage of the new power, storage, and hardware supported ray tracing afforded by the new consoles.

We’re not ready to share anything more, but we wanted to reassure our fans about a few important topics.

First – we’re committed to delivering a great story driven single player experience; this is what the Metro series is founded on. As a studio, we want to constantly push ourselves to create bigger and better games, but we also listen to what the fans are saying, and we know what’s important to you. We take our responsibly to the franchise seriously, and we think you’ll be excited our plans for the next chapter."

The Future of Metro

"At the same time, our partnership with Saber will allow us to explore something that has always been an ambition for 4A Games, but something we have never been able to commit to until now; a multiplayer experience in the Metro universe.

As a small studio we have never been able to do justice to these ambitions, and our ideas have never made it beyond the prototype phase. But with Saber’s experience in online gaming, we are now actively exploring multiplayer concepts that will offer a new way to experience the world of Metro.

We know some of our fans have concerns whenever they hear multiplayer mentioned, so we wanted to tackle this topic head on and talk about some of goals and principles behind this early exploration -

Let’s start by saying, we hear your concerns. We’re not looking at multiplayer as a box-ticking exercise, or to jump on some trend or bandwagon. As creators, we want to explore a multiplayer experience that makes complete sense in the Metro universe.

We’re also committed to ensuring that whatever we do, it’s not to the detriment of our single-player ambitions. We’ll need a dedicated team focused solely on the online component, and this is what our new partnership with Saber can bring; years of expertise, technology and know-how to help us realise our ambitions.

"Additionally, a reminder that it’s still early days – none of the thoughts above mean that the next Metro game will be multiplayer only; or that the next game will have single and multi-player in the same package. We are still figuring things out, but know that we are absolutely committed to more single-player, story driven experiences in the Metro universe that our fans have come to know and love.”

There’s more on the 4A Games blog, including a look back at the history of the studio, plans on further interaction with the community, and other news. We hope you’re as excited about the future of Metro as we are! It’s in good hands"

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
At the same time, our partnership with Saber will allow us to explore something that has always been an ambition for 4A Games, but something we have never been able to commit to until now; a multiplayer experience in the Metro universe.

We’re also committed to ensuring that whatever we do, it’s not to the detriment of our single-player ambitions.

It took 15 years but they will finally kill this franchise.

JDR13

Arcane
First – we’re committed to delivering a great story driven single player experience; this is what the Metro series is founded on. As a studio, we want to constantly push ourselves to create bigger and better games, but we also listen to what the fans are saying, and we know what’s important to you.

Wunderbar

Arcane
At the same time, our partnership with Saber will allow us to explore something that has always been an ambition for 4A Games, but something we have never been able to commit to until now; a multiplayer experience in the Metro universe.

We’re also committed to ensuring that whatever we do, it’s not to the detriment of our single-player ambitions.

It took 15 years but they will finally kill this franchise.
originally 4A were planning to add multiplayer during Metro Last Light development, but first THQ went bankrupt, and then the whole Ukraine revolution/Crimea thing happened. Because of that the multuplayer part was cancelled.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I just want to say that those fucking Metro books are so damn good. FML, they're so, so good. Easily, they could've made a FPS RPG in that setting. I've heard they even have the original author writing for the video game. What a fucking waste...

JDR13

Arcane
I just want to say that those fucking Metro books are so damn good. FML, they're so, so good. Easily, they could've made a FPS RPG in that setting. I've heard they even have the original author writing for the video game. What a fucking waste...

An RPG in that setting could be great, but a quality FPS is better than nothing.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

An RPG in that setting could be great, but a quality FPS is better than nothing.

Imagine Stalker with this techonology...

Gerrard

Arcane

Imagine Stalker with this techonology...
What technology? You realize the Metro games use the (stolen) xRay engine?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom