Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for multiplayer RTS recommendations

Bones

Novice
It's been a while since I played RTS games in multiplayer, and Im looking for something that was out in the last 8-10 years.
Dont care for single player campaign, just want something that is fun to play 1v1 with my friend.

We used to waste our time with base building type RTS; StarCraft, Warcraft 3, Generals Zero Hour, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes.
Any help in right direction is appreciated.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The Genre suffered from huge decline. One RTS I can wholeheartedly recommend though is Men of War: Assault Squad 2:

If you look for it, you can find it for a lot cheaper since it has been part in several bundles. I would urge you to give it at least a try even though at first glance the game might not be your cup of tea since it has no base building. Instead you buy forces from a points pool that escalates/grows during the matches. So you start with a relatively small force and it grows larger while the match goes on. Unit positioning and composition are keys to success.
The best comparison from your listed games would be probably akin to Company of Heroes. The game is based on WWII but there's a couple of good mods in the workshop to be found for example for Warhammer 40k or Zombie apocalypse.
Among others you can play 1v1, 2v2, co-op skirmish or co-op campaign.

Another game of interest might be Supreme Commander 2, a "spiritual successor" to the Total Annihilation series:

A more traditional (but streamlined as in regards to actual buildings not actually that many) base building RTS with pretty huge armies.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Get the Supreme Commander 1, not 2, and download the FAForever community mod/matchmaking service. You will waste countless hours, not that you will do anything better with your time.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Probably the best RTS game there ever was in terms of mechanics.

Bones

Novice
The Genre suffered from huge decline. One RTS I can wholeheartedly recommend though is Men of War: Assault Squad 2:

If you look for it, you can find it for a lot cheaper since it has been part in several bundles. I would urge you to give it at least a try even though at first glance the game might not be your cup of tea since it has no base building. Instead you buy forces from a points pool that escalates/grows during the matches. So you start with a relatively small force and it grows larger while the match goes on. Unit positioning and composition are keys to success.
The best comparison from your listed games would be probably akin to Company of Heroes. The game is based on WWII but there's a couple of good mods in the workshop to be found for example for Warhammer 40k or Zombie apocalypse.
Among others you can play 1v1, 2v2, co-op skirmish or co-op campaign.

Another game of interest might be Supreme Commander 2, a "spiritual successor" to the Total Annihilation series:

A more traditional (but streamlined as in regards to actual buildings not actually that many) base building RTS with pretty huge armies.

I agree about huge decline, I do own Men of War: Assault Squad 2 and I love it, problem is my friend who insists on base building RTS. Supreme Commander looks like a best bet.
Thank you all for replies.

Lagi

Savant
Supreme Commander looks like a best bet.

modern Total Annihilation BAR https://www.beyondallreason.info/
sweet 3d models , great UI (auto build mexes in range, easy transport - mark 2x area)

ancient TA balanced to death - TA Escalation http://taesc.tauniverse.com/

old TA Kingdom with some better tech tree - New Era https://kingdoms.catsboard.com/t1353-the-new-era
i enjoy it, because the base building is streamlined, and you focus more on combat.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom