Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cael

Arcane
Voted for the Krynn games. When I was 5 or 6 my dad brought me that series on floppy disk back from a business trip to the States, and they fired a (so far) life long love of video games.

I'll never forget the sense of pride and accomplishment I felt from working out what "AC" did, and that I shouldn't "attack ally" during combat.

So.. five year old me struggled a bit with them at the time, but I became a much more hardcore and high-value gamer as a result of said struggle.
And you still use the series' poster child for incest as your avatar. How cute!

Joking! I am joking! Don't hurt me, Mr Level 30 Paladin....

terribletony

Novice
Okay, I'm still slowly winding my way through 150 pages of backlog, but figured I'd ask now:
  • I've heard that more powerful characters (stat wise) == more challenging encounters, possibly as a way to prevent stat-scumming at the start. Any truth to this?
  • If doing the PoR series, is there any real benefit to carrying characters over from one the next? They pretty well get stripped of their gear and certain classes would never be available either, right? Any issues with what level you start at coming from a previous module vs. making new characters?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stats influence enemy numbers only in PoR.

The benefits of character transfer is more experienced characters and, in Pools of Darkness, better items.
But characters transfered from PoR to Curse are often bugged, especially if they have their stats changed in some way (Manual of Bodily Health in PoR and Ioun Stones in Curse).
Unless you save scum transfered character will have lower HP than newly created characters in Curse.
And there's no Paladin and Ranger in PoR, so you may want to ditch a couple of characters anyway, like multi-classed Elves who are very powerful in PoR but quickly hits the racial level cap in Curse.

Last edited:

Harlin

Educated
Okay, I'm still slowly winding my way through 150 pages of backlog, but figured I'd ask now:
  • I've heard that more powerful characters (stat wise) == more challenging encounters, possibly as a way to prevent stat-scumming at the start. Any truth to this?

Yes ... but deliberately starting with lower stats (and Str/Dex/Con are the only ones that matter at all for this), or avoiding training levels, is like refusing to earn a higher salary because that incurs higher taxes.

You're almost always better off with the higher stats and levels.

weirwood

Educated
That's how the did it in PoR. By the later games, they simply assumed everyone was rolling with all 18 stats anyhow, and balanced their encounters according to that from the get-go.

Null Null

Arbiter
Weeelll...it's kind of iffy. The stat thing in Pool of Radiance means you face fights with large numbers of monsters in the early game, who can make the game drag. So if you just want to play Pool, there's an argument for lower stats. I'd say max out DEX (and keep your AC 0 or higher to avoid tripping the party strength algorithm, perhaps by buying cheaper armor) and CON (STR has plenty of items that boost it) and clear out the Slums and Kuto's well ASAP.

Cael

Arcane
So long as the XP gains are appropriate, more enemies isn't a bad thing in Gold Box games. You just need to know how to handle swarms and how to tactically snipe enemies.

I speak as a guy who routinely fight through that town before Ascore, Kernan gates, and Turef ambush. The game says it is impossible, but it is possible.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I just started out Pool of Radiance after a very long time not playing Gold Box (except in my dreams).

Maxed out stats and the hordes of early encounters are pretty fun to deal with. It served me as a good preparation for the large battle in Sokal Keep, and also the extra XP is good for a heavy-multiclass party.

Gold Box companion is an amazing tool, although I still don't understand well how to save/restore the memorized spell slots functions... seems to not work.

Cael

Arcane
Heh, if you really need those extra XP from extra kobolds then you do indeed have "issues".
Free XP is free XP. Loot should be proportional to the number of bad guys and those are worth significantly more XP than kills. Plus money is always good if you have things to spend it on or a place to store it.

Null Null

Arbiter
I've done Kernen gates without any of the softening-up, the Turef ambush, killed Vaalgamon and took his long sword +5 and shield +5 (which Treasures snicks from you), and I even fought my way back to the entrance to Gothmenes' palace after he goes looking for Elminster. (It won't let you leave, so this is kind of pointless--it says hordes of monsters summoned from across the dimension block your exit.)

Thing about the big mobs is, they're beatable, but it makes the game drag for a lot of people. So for a casual gamer who just wants to play Pool suboptimal stats might be the right choice. The person who asked the question was a novice with 2 posts. You can beat Pool with less than 6 characters, but I don't recommend that to new players.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Gold Box companion is an amazing tool, although I still don't understand well how to save/restore the memorized spell slots functions... seems to not work.
You select spells in game, rest, then click STORE SPELLS. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Cael

Arcane
I've done Kernen gates without any of the softening-up, the Turef ambush, killed Vaalgamon and took his long sword +5 and shield +5 (which Treasures snicks from you), and I even fought my way back to the entrance to Gothmenes' palace after he goes looking for Elminster. (It won't let you leave, so this is kind of pointless--it says hordes of monsters summoned from across the dimension block your exit.)

Thing about the big mobs is, they're beatable, but it makes the game drag for a lot of people. So for a casual gamer who just wants to play Pool suboptimal stats might be the right choice. The person who asked the question was a novice with 2 posts. You can beat Pool with less than 6 characters, but I don't recommend that to new players.
I found a few fireballs tend to end most things quickly. Or sleep and stinking cloud until you get fireballs.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
You select spells in game, rest, then click STORE SPELLS. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Seemed to work when I watched it closely. Thanks!

A question, Pool of Radiance world map seems to contain all the location spoilers, and I see no way to disable them. Is this intended? Not a big deal, I ended up hiding the map.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
A question, Pool of Radiance world map seems to contain all the location spoilers, and I see no way to disable them. Is this intended? Not a big deal, I ended up hiding the map.
You can't currently disable world map location names. I'll have to add an option for that in the next version.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Rules question: if I play an Elf Fighter/Magic User, after he reaches Fighter level 7 racial cap, does he still get half XP while he levels as M.U.?

I should be able to recall this rule but damn if I do. Everybody houseruled-out level caps anyways.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yup, and he can even use armour while casting spells, while a Human dual classed Fighter/Mage can't. How's that for racism, eh?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Thanks! I am considering wether an elf F/MU/T would be decent as party thief with extra utility all the way to PoD, with the Fighter level 7 extra attack and equipment, and able to cast level 6 spells. Would level up at 1/3 speed as a thief in the high levels, but the thief XP table is fast anyways...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yup, and he can even use armour while casting spells, while a Human dual classed Fighter/Mage can't. How's that for racism, eh?
A human ranger/mage dual, however, can.

Yeah, that's pretty much the ultimate character.
When I beat Pools of Darkness my Human Ranger/Mage was last man standing.

Thanks! I am considering wether an elf F/MU/T would be decent as party thief with extra utility all the way to PoD, with the Fighter level 7 extra attack and equipment, and able to cast level 6 spells. Would level up at 1/3 speed as a thief in the high levels, but the thief XP table is fast anyways...

I'd say it's viable.

Cael

Arcane
FTM is pretty much the only viable thief in Gold Box games. M/T is too disadvantaged in everything. The F component gives you weapons, armour, hp and THAC0.

Cael

Arcane
A human ranger/mage dual, however, can.

Yeah, that's pretty much the ultimate character.
When I beat Pools of Darkness my Human Ranger/Mage was last man standing.
There are good reasons why you can only have 3 max of them in a party.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, the rules are so arbitrary.
Why can Rangers, Half-Elves and Elves cast spells in armour, while a Human Fighter/Mage can't?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom