Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice finally on Steam and GOG

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is ranked by biggest douche.

EldarEldrad

Savant
I have a serious question guys. I currently first play KoTC and completely stuck at Tyranixxus. My party is KKCM, 20 level. My best try was when I killed all cultists and then was Tyranixxus with 500+ hp, which I literally can't beat due to SR 32 and 30% to hit chance in melee. Can he be reliably beaten with some tactics, or I just need to grind and hope for dice rolls?

jungl

Augur
I have a serious question guys. I currently first play KoTC and completely stuck at Tyranixxus. My party is KKCM, 20 level. My best try was when I killed all cultists and then was Tyranixxus with 500+ hp, which I literally can't beat due to SR 32 and 30% to hit chance in melee. Can he be reliably beaten with some tactics, or I just need to grind and hope for dice rolls?

lol welcome to the first and last roadblock in the game. got to use them heal scrolls. Its like the only long fight in the game that demands you use your consumable scrolls. Other then that kill all the adds asap then throw all you have at the dragon.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Holy damage and the Irresistible Dance spell.

30% to hit chance? I had 5%.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
SR 32 shouldn't really be a problem at level 20, especially if you took Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration. Take care of the cultists with nukes with a giant area (like Dehydrate or any other spell if you have the Widen Spell feat), then buff your knights with Greater Heroism and disable Tyranixxus with Irresistible Dance. I'm not sure if that encounter has archers with the instant-death arrows, but in that case you should also cast Mass Death Ward as soon as possible.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I keep hearing about this KotC game... Finally looked it up and wow - my first thought, is it made in Shattered Lands engine? Well, of course not, but the impression is there and it looks awesome. Must play it sometimes, definitely.

EldarEldrad

Savant
I've managed to deal with Tyranixxus after 50 or so attempts, just one-shoted it with random Finger of Death actually. This fight was not satisfactory because it is more about luck than tactics. In fact, most of the boss battles in this game heavily rely on pure luck. Finally, I can say that I beat the game.

But that optional fight at the keep seem even more random. In my first 5 attempts I lose my mage before my turn even start so I do not see any opportunity to win this. Grinding that 300+ hp hordes of enemies is exhausting. Maybe I miss something important?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Interesting, I don't remember running into any major trouble versus the final boss.

Extra final battle is definitely brutal, that much is true, but there's actually a way to make it considerably easier:

Kill Maphistor at the crypt where you find him early in the game and he won't be present during the battle. IIRC he's by far the biggest pain in the ass in that fight, so getting rid of him gives you a yuge advantage. But for this to be possible I think you have to refrain from banishing him or something, my memory's hazy, it's been too long.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I didn't win this fight. The best bet to me seemed to be lucky with Dominate monsters onto the 2 balors and expect they would dominate the other monsters while none of those would dispell the area. I didn't find anything better, yet I think that among my many attempts I only got once vaguely close.

It's likely my mage feats were very not the best to improve the chance for the spell to succeed, I guess with two mages or at least one good mage it must be quite doable this way, but it's fine, the game was very much balanced for the type of party I was playing and it was very fun this way, no problem with an optional battle meant to test even strong parties.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
In my experience, to hope to consistently win the last fight, you have to rely on Dominate Monsters, Wall of Stone, Widened Silence, and A LOT of scrolls of Mass Heal and True Resurrection.

Dorateen

Arcane
my first thought, is it made in Shattered Lands engine? Well, of course not, but the impression is there and it looks awesome.

Knights of the Chalice is very much inspired by the Dark Sun games. But the structure of the adventure is based on classic Dungeons & Dragons modules Scourge of the Slave Lords and Against the Giants.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In my experience, to hope to consistently win the last fight, you have to rely on Dominate Monsters, Wall of Stone, Widened Silence, and A LOT of scrolls of Mass Heal and True Resurrection.

I remember having a lot of success with irresistible dance.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I remember having a lot of success with irresistible dance.
Yeah, Irresistible Dance is my go-to spell against every endgame enemy. A basically unavoidable spell that completely disables an enemy, greatly debuffs his AC, AND gives you free attacks every round is too good to pass up.

Sunri

Liturgist
So I finished this game, and now I understand why it has cult following here its tedious fun I had similar feeling when I played Final Fantasy I guess all the people that are recommending it want others to suffer through the same grind as their suffered anyway game was okay it has its flaws but for 10 years old indie game not bad!

uQkXqOL.png

pJsSJrO.png

hcwI6d9.png

ubvesAm.png

So about the bonus fight in Chalice Keep, did anyone won this? Bunch of one shooting monsters if I don't roll good initiative on cleric to cast death ward I'm getting wiped out in the first turn.
8x3HPNP.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So I finished this game, and now I understand why it has cult following here its tedious fun I had similar feeling when I played Final Fantasy I guess all the people that are recommending it want others to suffer through the same grind as their suffered anyway game was okay it has its flaws but for 10 years old indie game not bad!

uQkXqOL.png

pJsSJrO.png

hcwI6d9.png

ubvesAm.png

So about the bonus fight in Chalice Keep, did anyone won this? Bunch of one shooting monsters if I don't roll good initiative on cleric to cast death ward I'm getting wiped out in the first turn.
8x3HPNP.png

This is a game for tactic strategists whom enjoy min maxing and challenging combats, even though the challenge falls except in a couple of instances, when you already played it and know the mechanism and encounters already.

As for the last optional fight, there's a lot of people talking about it in all the Chalice threads, some players succeeded after 30+ tries, some faster, it probably goes down to both luck and preparation, if you were prepared for more challenge than the whole game throws at you through weapons and equipment crafting (some players even craft a shitload of wands) or not.

Well, it's winnable and has been won by many Codexers, at least.

The archers are a pain, vampires are a pain too and the NPC with a death-wish is a pain as well, this encounter IS pain.
I believe it even exceeds everything Chalice 2 throws at you.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As for the last optional fight, there's a lot of people talking about it in all the Chalice threads, some players succeeded after 30+ tries, some faster, it probably goes down to both luck and preparation, if you were prepared for more challenge than the whole game throws at you through weapons and equipment crafting (some players even craft a shitload of wands) or not.

The archers are a pain, vampires are a pain too and the NPC with a death-wish is a pain as well, this encounter IS pain.

That final optional battle is brutal. A video game moment that's actually an actual achievement? In this day and age!?

Sunri

Liturgist
So I finished this game, and now I understand why it has cult following here it's tedious fun I had similar feeling when I played Final Fantasy I guess all the people that are recommending it want others to suffer through the same grind as their suffered anyway game was okay it has its flaws but for 10 years old indie game not bad!

uQkXqOL.png

pJsSJrO.png

hcwI6d9.png

ubvesAm.png

8x3HPNP.png

This is a game for tactic strategists whom enjoy min maxing and challenging combats, even though the challenge falls except in a couple of instances, when you already played it and know the mechanism and encounters already.

Did author ever told why there are so many dragons in this game? That was kinda immersion breaking they breed like rats.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've beaten that fight with several parties, but by far the easiest was 2 wizards and 2 clerics. The clerics resurrecting each other helps a lot. Wizards just use all sorts of enchantment spells, like the dancing spell. That thing is nuts. Make sure you craft some magic armor for the wizards, to make them a bit more durable, though. The lightest armor has no spell failure chance, so it's fine. Bring a shitload of 9th level scrolls if you want to feel like you're cheating.

Sunri

Liturgist
I've beaten that fight with several parties, but by far the easiest was 2 wizards and 2 clerics. The clerics resurrecting each other helps a lot. Wizards just use all sorts of enchantment spells, like the dancing spell. That thing is nuts. Make sure you craft some magic armor for the wizards, to make them a bit more durable, though. The lightest armor has no spell failure chance, so it's fine. Bring a shitload of 9th level scrolls if you want to feel like you're cheating.

Oh! You reminded about something in the late game I felt like my knight was just standing there doing almost nothing he can't tank because monster always hyper focus mage he cannot do half cleric/mage damage he was just there I wonder if they make it more balance in Kotc II

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
in the late game I felt like my knight was just standing there doing almost nothing
Yes, indeed. My first party was 2 knights, 1 wizard, 1 cleric, and that was much harder than 1 wizard, 3 clerics, or 2 and 2. In KotC 2, the wizards are even better than the first game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

See, some players even found ways to cheese the final battle, don't listen to other people's strategies, it ruins all the fun.

I wonder if he make it more balance in Kotc II

They're powerful and can be as game breaking as powerful mages & psionicists with the right equipment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom