Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I don't care about the tranny stuff, all in all, is this game "good"? Like charmingly bad like the first one?

GewuerzKahn

Savant
If I don't care about the tranny stuff, all in all, is this game "good"? Like charmingly bad like the first one?
If you want more York, it's fine as a Let's Play or on the emulator.
On the Switch it's just barely playable with the 15 fps, long loading times and soft locks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Even just playing the first two hours should demonstrate that this is the same Deadly Premonition we've all come to love.

I don't know, I have to admit I'm having trouble even getting started with this one. And I came to adore the first Deadly Premonition, played it for the first time last year.

I really don't mind a poor frame rate. But the load times really cannot be understated, you're hit with a long-loading screen every time you go outdoors. The same loading screen, no fun artwork of items from the game like cans of pickles. It's the same giant tree every single time. Once you're out in the world, there aren't any fun driving sequences with fun cop music blaring... your vehicle is a skateboard and York repeats the same 4-5 canned lines over and over and over again. I've heard York repeat the same recycled line no less than 3 times in the span of maybe 10 minutes of riding the skateboard. In DP1 you at least had to initiate his banter with a button prompt.

The huge loading screens, constantly repetition of the same lines, unfun mode of transportation, poor frame rate and general outdoor ugliness really does make the world a lot less fun to explore. I couldn't stop driving around Greenvale and had met most of the characters before the 'town meeting' chapter of the first game, just because it was fun to drive around. It was just so damn atmospheric and enjoyable to get around despite its jank. Little things like the optional 'Meal at the station' segments that happened every chapter really made you love the town and its characters and motivated you to soak it all in.

I am really not feeling the same way about this one- I want to see how the story plays out since the first game got so batshit by the end but this game might warrant a patch or two before jumping in.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Agreed about the lines and frame rate. Other than that, it's the same style and humor. With a touch of D4.

Maybe just wait for SGF's Let's Play.

Much like Deadly Premonition 1, the game is best when you don't actually have to suffer through its jank yourself.

Cromwell

Arcane
My Woman is playing this right now, I waited since I wanted to finish the first but dont have that much time to play and Tsuhima and Tactics Ogre on my List to finish before. From what she said the playtime counter doesnt work which means the game tells her she already has above 200 hours. Theres of course all the issues with framerate and stutters and she seems to have found the first questrelated bug where you have to kill bees dogs and crocodiles but if you kill a bee it also counts as Dog and Crocodile.

I swear at least a quarter of this game must be just waiting for loading screens, thankfully their priorities are in the right place since they can appease patch the problems trannies have with the game while stuff like this will have to wait

minor spoilers:

Well, somehow, I managed to set up an emulator without, ekhm, having an actual Switch, without any issues, in 1 hour no less. No otherworldly errors, setting up some arcane shit, and the game just boots up and runs well, saves included. Good thing I invested in a beefy laptop (i7-9750 and RTX 2070) or else I'd have to look for second hand Switches just to play this.

On Le Carre streets with a skateboard, the game runs at 16fps. Then I looked up YouTube videos and it runs the same on Switch lmao. Here's hoping further patches will improve it, or maybe when I finally take my poor laptop for a cleaning, I'll get a bit more.

Of course if there is any single game that I would play at this framerate, it's this one :dealwithit:Chad unpatched version.

Zyondyne

Learned
Agreed about the lines and frame rate. Other than that, it's the same style and humor. With a touch of D4.

Maybe just wait for SGF's Let's Play.

Much like Deadly Premonition 1, the game is best when you don't actually have to suffer through its jank yourself.

It really does look and play like the love child of D4 and Deadly Premonition 1, doesn't it?

One that is severely impaired, both mentally and physically and probably resulted from incest, but still...

Terenty

Liturgist
Well, somehow, I managed to set up an emulator without, ekhm, having an actual Switch, without any issues, in 1 hour no less. No otherworldly errors, setting up some arcane shit, and the game just boots up and runs well, saves included. Good thing I invested in a beefy laptop (i7-9750 and RTX 2070) or else I'd have to look for second hand Switches just to play this.

On Le Carre streets with a skateboard, the game runs at 16fps. Then I looked up YouTube videos and it runs the same on Switch lmao. Here's hoping further patches will improve it, or maybe when I finally take my poor laptop for a cleaning, I'll get a bit more.

Of course if there is any single game that I would play at this framerate, it's this one :dealwithit:Chad unpatched version.
Hey friend, can you give me some directions where to download the game for the emulator? I've been trying to find it all over the web, but to no avail

From what I've played of it, this sums it up pretty nicely: (Consideriing that really few people have a Switch, seems appropriate to)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadlyPrem...poiler_leak_from_someone_on_resetera_who_has/

I've talked with a couple who are reviewing it and a couple who are playing it who got it early (all who thankfully didn't spoil me on stuff, I just am curious as excited).

It probably will score similarly to the first game with one crevice. So the biggest problem of this game by far is the tech issues, it's definitely going to have to drag the game down. The frame rate is all over the place, some sections run a fluid 60fps, some fluctuate rapidly and the streets of Le Carre often are in the 15 FPS zone. Even people that like the game will probably take notice and will detract a bit for this as it sometimes gets in the way of enjoyment. I know many who enjoy the game can look past that, but especially when reviewing there is no ignoring how badly performing this game is.

Outside of that, I've heard from pretty much everyone the characters are endearing, the story is great and a near perfect continuation of the first game, and there is areas the game improves itself in, some in bigger ways and some in smaller. A few examples I've heard:
-The combat is a BIT better, it's still pretty standard but the actual levels are designed a bit better, there's a bit more mechanically going on (in a good way), there's no really annoying enemies like the crawlers in the first game. Nothing to write home about, but servicable and a slight improvement.
-Music is amazing, I've heard from nearly everyone it has a soundtrack that's possibly even better than the original.
-The mini-games are more involved and fun this time.
-Most mechanics people wanted to return (shaving, stinky outfit fun, people in Le Carre having their daily routines you can follow etc) are back.
-The game cut down on some of its bullshittier elements, like the really long QTE sequences (actually sounds like they cut down a LOT on QTEs in general).
-The map is thankfully much improved from DP1.

There's some areas some may see as positive or negative though:
-The town you explore is a lot smaller than Greenvale. That does mean it's more condensed as well, but this may be a pro or con depending on who you're asking.
-Skateboarding I've heard mixed things about, it's kinda' hilarious but the physics for it are very wonky.
-I've heard some back-and-forth things on the side-quests. that element I know less about.

I have heard the game length is comparable to the first, main story is a bit shorter (but not by much, and a big reason it's shorter may simply be because the time you spend in the town is shorter because it's more condensed), and there's a lot of extra content that can easily add a lot more to play time.

It sounds like people who like Deadly Premonition will like the sequel, maybe even love it, and there is improvements... Buuuuuut it's very much Deadly Premonition, the tech problems definitely will affect the score, and even though there's improvements, there's not a whole lot in earnest, so how a very similar game will be received a decade later? We'll find out I guess.

Of course, fans of the original probably just want another game like Deadly Premonition with a few improvements, so that may not be a problem for people interested in this anyways and might actually be a good thing.

Curious what I'll end up thinking and where reviews will land on this one (probably all over the place but skewed a bit worse due to the frame rate/crashing problems the game has), but hearing these four other people's non-spoiler opinions has been fun.

Cromwell

Arcane
It cant be understated how bad this game is when you just look at the technical aspects. From what my better half said to me the framerate gets progressively worse the longer you play, she also said she had the feeling that the city becomes more populated by NPCs the longer you play which tanks it even more. After restarting the switch when the frames get to bad even for her she says its better again for a while until it gets to bad again and you have to restart everything.

Waiting for Yuzu version that will run it at 60FPS

I wouldn't hold your breath unless you have an i9-9900 or something, because i5 and i7 processors seem to experience stutter and framerate drops in the exact same places as on the Switch. The game just seems to be fucked up regardless of hardware.

Terenty

Liturgist
After playing a few hours on the emulator its obvious the game was build on a fraction of the first game's budget.

Question for people further into the game: are all the side quests just text without any voice work? The great thing about the first game was that side quests were fleshed out fully voiced and there were a lot of funny stuff in there.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up exploring less overall than the first once everything's patched up and ready to play. I liked all the voiced sidequests in the first.

Terenty

Liturgist
Yep, played a bit more, the side quests are all text and the quests themselves are of the most obnoxious fetch type to boot unfortunately. Shame, wont bother making them

And another thing i noticed is York doesn't have the same demeanor as the first game. Here he is too eager, constantly talks to Zack in front of people and often has strangely irritable attitude towards npcs which is a far cry from DP1

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Ended up watching the whole thing on youtube. Unfortunately cant say anything good about the game at all. Vastly inferior to the first one in every department imaginable. The best analogy i can offer is this game to DP1 is what Invisible War was to Deus Ex, an unworthy sequel that's ultimately pointless and unneeded.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Ah, I think you're a little harsh on it. The dialogue is still pretty good in parts.
But you are right in saying that it is vastly inferior to the first one, sadly.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Swery went so far with his ripping off of Twin Peaks that he even made the second part of his story terrible in line with season 2. Sad! But don't worry this means that the next Deadly Premonition will be ripping off season 3 so expect some good stuff.
See you in 25 years, then.

Finished it on Yuzu emulator just now. Clocked in at 17 hours, did just only a couple of side quests though since I was most curious about the story.

Surprisingly the game runs great (well, not worse at least), seems DP fans got lucky here - from what I've seen on the website, half of Switch games don't even start or deliver extremely subpar performance, like Zelda BotW running 4 times slower than on Switch. And let's not forger Switch has worse hardware than fucking iPhones.

I'd go so much to say that's basically a perfect sequel. Wouldn't you agree, Zach? Basically everything was enjoyable and as it was supposed to be aside from mob shooting sequences, those definitely overstayed its welcome. Especially that fucker with a door on his back. I have more nitpicks but after the ending I just cant bring myself to criticize it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom