Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

ChumBucket

Augur
The easier explanation is that it wasn't Rain in the dream.
I agree, I am just spitballing... though your KISS explanation is far more likely.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
By the way, I'm calling bragging rights if it turns out that redeeming Uridimmu with the Power of Love was indeed the answer all along.
Um, mate? Primordial demon?

His one quality that protects him from an accusation of Rain's attempted murder thrown in his face is that he can not do otherwise. Catch-22 is that if he has free will enough to be "redeemed" then he has enough of it to be held responsible for all that he has done.

Baltika9

Arcane
Will check the votes in around 24 hours.
=== Penultimate Tally ===

A - 7 (9)
B - 3 (0)
C - 7 (8)

Nevill - A
Azira - A>C
Tigranes - A
Orbit - A
ERYFKRAD - A>B
CappenVarra - A>B
asxetos - A>B

Grimgravy - B>C
ItsChon - B>A>C
baud - B>A

Lambchop19 -C
Baltika9 - C
Kalarion - C
Kz3r0 - C
ChumBucket - C
hello friend - C
Kipeci - C>A

===

So we're passing up this fabulous deal given to us by Uridimmu to save one of our childhood friends from a terminal illness and keep our Scooby Gang together? Guys, every group of young detectives needs a dog and we have a candidate with a very impressive resume offering to sign on.

Doo eet, codex.

Edit:
By the way, I'm calling bragging rights if it turns out that redeeming Uridimmu with the Power of Love was indeed the answer all along.
Um, mate? Primordial demon?

His one quality that protects him from an accusation of Rain's attempted murder thrown in his face is that he can not do otherwise. Catch-22 is that if he has free will enough to be "redeemed" then he has enough of it to be held responsible for all that he has done.
...it would make for a nice story: two children convince the personification of fear and hatred that the world isn't unlovable and is worth fighting for.

I was having fun with that bit, man.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We are not special, Rain is. We just happen to be in the right place at the wrong time. If you don't want to deal with boring YA BS or some godling comming to smash our face in, ditch Rain, and anyone connected to her.
Rofl. Imagine being called an edgelord for wanting to sit in our town and raise our kid. Again, there's a difference than having it hoisted on upon us, and actively running headfirst into a deal with a fucking demon because...reasons? Trash opinions.

Baltika9

Arcane
Like it or not, Uridimmu is part of our life. Might as well accept his offer and then work to slowly convert him with the unstoppable power of love and friendship

You're just hoping we can make Uridummu into this CYOA's Sekhenun. :codexisfor:
Only in the sense that Sekhenenun was an eldritch horror who we turned into our best friend. Yeah, the Sekhenun analogy works.

Baltika9

Arcane
We already have a fragment of him with us. It's in our leg, not in a jar, but that just makes us brothers.

Join us in voting C, brother. You can blame me if it goes wrong.

:greatjob:

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Where do you think I got the idea that our power was borrowed? +M

I disagree on this point. Uridimmu is a primordial, which makes him a different creature from a god. While gods harness many different domains to exert their will and influence in the world, primordials actually are the living embodiment of the things they represent. Uridimmu will ALWAYS hunger, hunt, and kill; it is his very essence. To blame him is no different than blaming a storm for knocking over your house when you failed to build it properly, or blaming a gun for killing your friend instead of the man who pulled the trigger.

I would also like to point out in most mythologies, gods gained their power by tricking/stealing/enslaving the primordial powers. Perhaps that is why Uridimmu lies forgotten in his pyramid. What treave has revealed to us so far implies there is a war between the gods of this world, and that people like Rasputin, John Bull, and Tlalli are their agents.
wasn't "the shining serpent" powering Tlalli's astra pretty clearly one of the 11 "primordials" as well?

did she not mention the blood sacrifice (to the gods) previously associated with power was later replaced with different means of harnessing the same power?

which "gods" were mentioned? Rasputin seemed pretty keen on that JHVH fella, granted, but that him staying in character

i'd say the primordials/gods dichotomy you mention is interesting, but a bit far-fetched - would it not be more likely that the unknown powers of the tower have caused ALL supernatural entities of mankind's imagination ("primordial", "god", "angel", "monster", "pixie", ...) to manifest and then have them be their usual pleasant selves (naturally resulting in many conflicts)?

if i had to go 7 turtles down, i'd guess the tower is a monolith (in the clarkean sense) that has sparked humanity to develop the supernatural element in the first place, but that's too far down right now...

TLDR: the difference between "primordials" and "gods" is not as important as "human" vs. "alien"

ChumBucket

Augur
Xiuhtecuhtli is Tlalli's patron. An Aztec "old" creation god. Bringer of fire and the god of old age. Meanwhile Uridimmu is a primordial monster and child of Timiat from Mesopotamian lore who was eventually killed and repurposed by Marduk in his quest to start civilization. And yes, I am just theorizing and filling in blanks with my own knowledge of real world myth. I am sure treave has subverted the players in this story in ways we have yet to discover. It's why I like his LP's. :)
Interesting side note: Marduk and Gilgamesh (both from Mesopotamia) are two of the oldest hero's journeys of the west and involve subverting the powers of primordial chaos and heaven respectively.

ChumBucket

Augur
TLDR: the difference between "primordials" and "gods" is not as important as "human" vs. "alien"
That would align well with Rain being some sort of special child. Perhaps of the "alien" race that created this tower? An inconvenient survivor in some political power play?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm planning out the next big arc of the story in New Vienna, going to take a bit of time before the next update. I should be able to deliver sometime during the weekend. Since C seemed to be winning at first I had spent some time plotting out those particular consequences in my head, so I had to shift gears afterwards. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just remembered that New Vienna is the seat of the Council of Orders.

I still wonder if Alexei and his guard aren't a part of it. They were on an Astra ship, after all, and it had a double-headed eagle as a coat of arms. Could be they were misusing the Council's authority, and we might yet meet whomever sent them to Scotsfield.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm planning out the next big arc of the story in New Vienna, going to take a bit of time before the next update. I should be able to deliver sometime during the weekend. Since C seemed to be winning at first I had spent some time plotting out those particular consequences in my head, so I had to shift gears afterwards. :M
Consequences for trusting doggy?

What, the love and affection of Man's most trusted companion?

:shittydog:

Tigranes

Arcane
The real question is why haven't we gotten treave fired yet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom