Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Owlcat hiring to develop a turn-based sci-fi RPG

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Translation: "Owlcat Games (the creators of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous) are looking for a Lead / Senior 3D Environment Artist for a new unannounced project (a turn-based CRPG in SciFi setting)."

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
looks like they are developing a Starfinder CRPG.

Isn't star-finder a mess or has it gotten better/more clarified?

Though I suppose if true it'll be the closest thing to a new Spelljammer game I'm ever going to get.
It was a mess last time I checked. (I wanted to say hot garbage, but that's probably too harsh). It's been a while since I did check though. I don't know if they've since patched it with a Starfinder 1.5 version, I never bothered with it again. And its problems make it uniquely unsuited to a videogame adaptation ala Kingmaker. Pathfinder proper is mechanically sound but has a crappy worldbuilding and story writing. Owlcat was able to improve on those issues while adapting the mechanics largely faithfully. But Starfinder has issues with its mechanics too. I hope to god it's not Starfinder they're developing, or that they got the ok to make a not-faithful adaptation if it is.

deuxhero

Arcane
looks like they are developing a Starfinder CRPG.

Isn't star-finder a mess or has it gotten better/more clarified?

Though I suppose if true it'll be the closest thing to a new Spelljammer game I'm ever going to get.
It was a mess last time I checked. (I wanted to say hot garbage, but that's probably too harsh). It's been a while since I did check though. I don't know if they've since patched it with a Starfinder 1.5 version, I never bothered with it again. And its problems make it uniquely unsuited to a videogame adaptation ala Kingmaker. Pathfinder proper is mechanically sound but has a crappy worldbuilding and story writing. Owlcat was able to improve on those issues while adapting the mechanics largely faithfully. But Starfinder has issues with its mechanics too. I hope to god it's not Starfinder they're developing, or that they got the ok to make a not-faithful adaptation if it is.

Yeah, Starfinder is garbage and doesn't have any classic APs. It tries to do an all class features are taken as talents (like d20 Moderns base classes or PF's magus arcana) but they all suck so horribly most characters are stuck shooting. They managed to make equipment progression worse than WBL, which is impressive, by making it so you flat out can't buy anything too high level with arbitrary handwave (you get better permits/connections, just ignore the aliens whose entire thing is being unscrupulous arms dealers).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
TB scifi RPG is incline. I have faith Owlcat will be able to make it fun, even if whatever underlying rules system they use need to be tweaked.

Longes

Augur
I do hope Owlcat break off from Pathfinder, now that they've gotten a solid reputation. Make new cool stuff! Make Noonverse RPG!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll give Owlcat my permission to start doing something different from Pathfinder: Kingmaker clones only after they have already adapted every single Pathfinder module in existence. Everything, even "We Be Goblins!".

We waited so long for a faithful Pathfinder adaptation, now they have to give us the full package.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Actually, a game in one of the worlds of Russian sci-fi writers would be good. There is no ready-to-use game system, though, so they will have to improvise.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kingmaker works because it's based on an already established RPG system. Seeing what Owlcat did with their own spin on the kingdom management card-based system, I think they really should stick to Pathfinder rules.

Longes

Augur
Some say Outer worlds is sci-fi post-Solzhenitsyn-Huxley's game. Can russians do it better?
I hate to break it to you, but Solzhenitsyn was, indeed, Russian. Also, Russian sci-fi in the 90's was at least as good as American, and for me, as a Russian, much better. After all, American mentality is really alien.
What was there in good Russian sci-fi recently? The last thing I distinctly remember reading is Lukyanenko's Rough Draft, and then it's a dark haze of numerous popadntsy novels.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Most likely 40k imo. It's a very famous setting that you can use almost for free.

Starfinder is another option but the system is a mess and not very popular even among Paizo fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom