Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your recommended CRPGs from the last decade?

Ok, I have been trying to look through reviews of all the games I have missed over the past decade, and the list is quite large. I did get Pillars of Eternity with expansions, and played it over a long period, and I would rate it a touch weaker than Baldurs Gate 1. A rather bland experience with a rather bland RPG engine. The Dwarven Mine expansion was a notch above the rest of the game, but the experience felt like a fast food meal, and I often had my thoughts (and gaming time) drifting to replaying old classics.

Having been out of country for a number of years, and not having a great deal of time to play CRPGs for that matter, I am wondering what new games in the genre are actually worth playing.

A small collection of games from the past that top my list include the Goldbox games, Ultima V, Wasteland, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master, Fallout 1 and 2 (New Vegas wasn't bad either), Arcanum. The Baldurs Gate games, Planescape, etc weren't bad. Deus Ex 1 was a good run and gun RPG. Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and Temple of Elemental Evil were quite good tactical RPGs. Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen were decent action CRPGs.

So, bearing in mind the above, what would people here suggest are good enough to play from the past decade?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Goddamn welcome back Blackadder you used to be one of my favorite posters on here.

Try:

ATOM RPG, decent Fallout clone made by Russkis set in the post-apoc Soviet Union.

Underrail, post-apoc Fallout-inspired RPG set entirely underground. Has some absolute "fuck you" moments (the insect hives in the expansion) but it's a solid game from start to finish (ok not really finish, nobody likes the final area, but other than that it's good).

Disco Elysium is an RPG without combat whatsoever. Ignore Torment: Tides of Numenera, this is the real spiritual successor to PST. You play an alcoholic burnout cop who's gotta solve a case in the city's most run-down district to prove that he still has it in him. Like PST, its structure is linear but you get a lot of choices in how to express your character. Great game.

ELEX! You liked previous Piranha Bytes games so you will also like ELEX! It's their best game since Gothic 2.

Try Titan Outpost for another combat-less RPG. It's made by our very own Codexer MF and is set on Titan in a hard sci-fi setting based on scientifically plausible scenarios. The focus is on basebuilding and exploring the moon, and there will also be intrigue. Good game.

The recently released Knights of the Chalice 2 is the most difficult combatfag RPG ever made. I don't think it's out for sale yet though, it's only been released to Kickstarter backers for now. It's only a matter of months though.

Underrail.

This looks quite good...

Warband
New Vegas
Alpha Protocol

I played these. Warband and New Vegas were decent, Alpha Popamole had a decent premise, though I found the control system shoddy.

Dragon Age: Origins and Knights of the Chalice are 2009.

Played these also. Dragon Age was good for Nu Bioware...KotC is quite a good game.

1. Mass Effect: Andromeda
2. Anthem
3. Fallout 76

Codex...Codex never changes...

ATOM RPG, decent Fallout clone made by Russkis set in the post-apoc Soviet Union.

Underrail, post-apoc Fallout-inspired RPG set entirely underground. Has some absolute "fuck you" moments (the insect hives in the expansion) but it's a solid game from start to finish (ok not really finish, nobody likes the final area, but other than that it's good).

Disco Elysium is an RPG without combat whatsoever. Ignore Torment: Tides of Numenera, this is the real spiritual successor to PST. You play an alcoholic burnout cop who's gotta solve a case in the city's most run-down district to prove that he still has it in him. Like PST, its structure is linear but you get a lot of choices in how to express your character. Great game.

ELEX! You liked previous Piranha Bytes games so you will also like ELEX! It's their best game since Gothic 2.

Try Titan Outpost for another combat-less RPG. It's made by our very own Codexer MF and is set on Titan in a hard sci-fi setting based on scientifically plausible scenarios. The focus is on basebuilding and exploring the moon, and there will also be intrigue. Good game.

The recently released Knights of the Chalice 2 is the most difficult combatfag RPG ever made. I don't think it's out for sale yet though, it's only been released to Kickstarter backers for now. It's only a matter of months though.

Ah Jarlfrank. Good to see an old face. I will definately check these out...and KotC2! Excellent.

Age of Decadence
Underrail
Legend of Grimrock II
Dragon's Dogma
Dark Souls 1
Disco Elysium
Pillars of Eternity 2 (combat is MUCH better than PoE1)
ELEX
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Grimoire

Felipe, another old fag. I see your recommendations and Franks coincide quite closely. How is that book you were working on back in the day? That was you, wasn't it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

overly excitable young man

Underrail
Atom RPG
Age of Decadence
ELEX
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Dark Souls 3
Might and Magic X
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

How is that book you were working on back in the day? That was you, wasn't it?
I'm happy to say that it came out in 2018! You can get the PDF here: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/crpg_book_2.0-1.pdf

We also made a fancy limited physical edition, all profits to charity: https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/the-crpg-book-a-guide-to-computer-role-playing-games

Excellent work! I will download that shortly. Is the physical copy 'up to date'? Does the PDF contain many errata corrections and editions? Or did you print a new edition/wait for errata to be spotted first?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Game of Thrones RPG by Cyanide studio is a terrific storyfag game. You can enjoy it even if you haven't seen the show or read the books.

Underrail
Atom RPG
Age of Decadence
ELEX
Dark Souls 3
Might and Magic X
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

There seems to be a consensus forming. Atom, AoD, ELEX and Underrail are pretty much done deals so far, I cannot believe how many CRPGS have been released after the dearth of 2000-2010. How does this Kingdom Come play? Looks like a machine killer.

Reality

Learned
Expedetions: Vikings (I think it cuts out some fat from Expedetions:Conquistador game system wise and once you get around losing the novelty of the setting it actually has a better story)
Blackguards 1 - One of those purpose-built RPG arena based games. Kinda displays both the strengths and weaknesses of having no "random" combat. Much better as a try out than Blackguards 2 or Divinity: Original Sin, whose length will kinda grind you down and force you to think about non-combat aspects of the game.

Mount and Blade: Warband was great as a game that let you breath and have fun.

Battle Brothers - appeals more to the XCOM part of my brain than the RPG part but good regardless

I suggest a looking at a modern Roguelike at some point - I like "coffee break" style ones so I like to gamble with Jupiter Hell, but people who like more intensive ones are incredibly vocal about Tales of Maj' el

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom