Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Where Game Series Should Have Ended

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mass Effect should have been the first last and only game in the series.

Same goes for Dragon Age: Origins.

Agreed on Max Payne, there should only be one.

The Total War series should have ended after Medieval 2.

Civilization should have ended at IV

mk0

Learned
The Metal Gear series should've ended with MGS4. MGS1 is Kojima finally having the means to make the game he always wanted to, MGS2 is Kojima trying and failing to pass on the series to the fucking new guys, MGS3 is Kojima being forced against his will to make another sequel, MGS4 is Kojima having a mental breakdown. Truly, the perfect saga.

The rest of the games after MGS4 are phoned in cash grabs.

mogwaimon

Magister
The newer Dooms really aren't bad. You just have to accept that they're very dfferent from Doom 1 & 2.

Well, it's not that Doom 2016 is an outright bad game and I understand that Eternal is reportedly an improvement on the formula that 2016 started, but I just don't care for the direction in which the level design/overall game went. Especially since I'm not a fan of the arena shooter style and vastly prefer the likes of Doom 1+2, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, etc when it comes to my singleplayer FPS fixes.

Kingdom Hearts 1 was a charming game, that was more rpg than action and told a small and finished arc around a boy from an island travelling disney worlds to stop the darkness. KH2 starts with said boy emerging from a cyberpod on a foreign world, having been digitalised by a pedo in read and there is a troupe of 13 greater faggots around, since the god damn GBA sequel Chains of Memories has vital lore to the story.

In terms of story, though, they left it open in KH1 for Chain of Memories (which I didn't care for TBH, not a fan of card battle systems or rehashing areas...which in the case of rehashing areas the series has managed to do at least 3-4 times...) and KH2 actually seemed to resolve everything with a happy ending that finished everyone's character arcs. Besides, despite KH1 being a better game than KH2, KH2 contributed enough especially in the Final Mix version with the extra boss battles that I feel like excluding it we would have lost more than we gained. It was pretty nuts in terms of story but it still wasn't DDS->KH3 levels of nuts

EDIT: Oh and yea, mk0 is right on the money with Metal Gear Solid. It'd be a shame to lose all the Phantom Pain memes and mechanically speaking MGSV is kinda interesting but the shift from cinematic story to mission-based collect all the soldiers managed to lose the most interesting parts of those games, which wasn't the moment-to-moment gameplay but the batshit crazy stories. We gotta count Metal Gear Rising as a subseries for the purpose of this argument though, Rising was pretty badass so I don't wanna lose that one

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm going to state a very unpopular opinion here, but I don't think we really needed 23 Assassin's Creed.

Warcraft 3 is a milestone in videogame history, but it doesn't have the charm of Warcraft 2. All RTS series should have stopped at the second title, I guess: we didn't need Warcraft 3, we didn't need Age of Empires 3, we didn't need Cossacks 3, we didn't need Stronghold 3 and we definitely won't need Starcraft 3.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'd say FF 7. Almost everything after that is pretty shit imo.

I'm not a huge fan of 7 but I wanted to go at least as far as 9, which I think is pretty good (albeit way too dialogue/cutscene heavy).

I mean... the game literally ends on a cliffhanger. So no.

I think the ending works as a self-contained story. Freeman survived the Black Mesa disaster and has been hand-picked by some weird alien/government freaks to be their new agent. He either dies in a blaze of glory against the unwinnable alien grunt battle, or is whisked off by the G-Man to an unknown future. Obviously the latter ending is huge sequel bait but it would still work as a satisfying ending even if there had never been another Half-Life game. I also like how the cosmic horror keeps scaling up throughout Half-Life, culminating with the huge fetus that shoots teleporters. You've seen something so horrific and incomprehensible that no sequel could ever really expand on it in a meaningful way - indeed, we end up with the Combine, who are a bunch of losers in gasmasks and feel like a laughable step down from whatever the hell the Nihilanth was.

Speaking of the Combine... Half-Life's ending seems to imply, however vaguely and ambiguously, that you might have saved Earth from invasion. You're either dead or trapped in nightmare-hell stasis, but at least you might have saved everyone you loved. Half-Life 2 then says "oh actually there were some clowns in gasmasks behind everything and they overran Earth about one second after you left. sorry!" What was the point of anything that happened in HL1, then?! Might as well have just died in the test chamber.

I won't retard-rate you, but it's a very odd opinion considering how good System Shock 2 is. Have you actually played it?

Not going to go too far into it here, but SS2 annoys me in a similar way to HL2. That is to say, about half of my criticisms are of the quality of the game itself, and the other half are of the game as a sequel.

Briefly, though:
- I don't like the RPG-lite elements at all and I don't understand why they're in the game. This isn't Deus Ex, it's a corridor shooter that's trying to pretend it's something else, and it gets weighed down by this kind of thing
- The enemies are almost universally boring to fight with shit AI
- Similarly, combat is completely unsatisfying, partially due to the pointless RPG/skill elements. People will argue that this is acceptable because combat isn't the main focus of the game, but I don't agree, combat and exploration are pretty clearly the core of the game
- Enemies respawning was a terrible idea. SS1 did this as well but it was much more manageable since SS1 was a dedicated shooter and you always had tons of ammo and combat was swift and brutal
- Degrading weapons. Fucking why. I get that resource scarcity is meant to be a major aspect of the game, but it doesn't work because the game still really isn't very difficult at all, so having your shit break is more of an annoyance than anything
- Beating a dead horse, but the endgame sucks more than Xen could ever dream of sucking
- This is personal taste I guess, but I didn't find the plot at all interesting. The tone didn't work for me either - SS1 was enjoyably ridiculous and very fast-paced and action-packed, whereas SS2's shift to survival horror results in it feeling like a game from a different (and worse) franchise altogether, not least because I didn't find the game effective as a horror game
- Similarly, the Von Braun and that other ship with all the weird shit on it aren't as fun to explore as Citadel Station

Last edited:
Resident Evil - first/remake is enough as far as survival horror is, RE4 is a fun shooter but not really connected with main RE
Diablo - ditto on 1-game franchise
Warcraft - 2
Half Life - base gaem + Opposing Force
Fallout - New Vegas
Street Fighter (core) - Third Strike
Soul Calibur - 2
GTA - 2
Marvel vs Capcom - 2
Final Fantast - stop at 6 and release 12 as 7
Duke Nukem - Zero Hour
Aliens vs Predaror - 2
Civilization - 2 is just too perfect
Another World - 1
Prince of Persia - 2
King of Fighter - eh. not really. I'll be playing KOF2077 with pleasure.

Viata

Arcane
- Here we go, big controversy time: System Shock didn't need a sequel. Come retard-rate me.
This is true. System Shock 2 is shit. Bad level design that only has the pretension of being non-linear and misleads the player into thinking it's such, but it's actually nothing but locked door after another and you'd just be wasting time straying from the obvious path. In SS1, audio logs actually make sense, since Shodan controls the network people can't just send emails but instead have to leave audio logs around to communicate without Shodan spying on them and intercepting their message, but in SS2 audio logs make no sense, why the hell are people recording their innermost thoughts and dropping the recordings everywhere.
Fuck SS2. Weak attempts at making the antagonist threatening by having shallow mimicry of her dialogue in SS1 end up just making her look even more of a joke in the context of her situation. The bafflingly cheesy ending cutscene is actually oddly fitting given how ineffective the story is. :shitposting:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This is true. System Shock 2 is shit. Bad level design that only has the pretension of being non-linear and misleads the player into thinking it's such, but it's actually nothing but locked door after another and you'd just be wasting time straying from the obvious path. In SS1, audio logs actually make sense, since Shodan controls the network people can't just send emails but instead have to leave audio logs around to communicate without Shodan spying on them and intercepting their message, but in SS2 audio logs make no sense, why the hell are people recording their innermost thoughts and dropping the recordings everywhere.
Fuck SS2. Weak attempts at making the antagonist threatening by having shallow mimicry of her dialogue in SS1 end up just making her look even more of a joke in the context of her situation. The bafflingly cheesy ending cutscene is actually oddly fitting given how ineffective the story is.
Nah

JDR13

Arcane
I'd say FF 7. Almost everything after that is pretty shit imo.

I'm not a huge fan of 7 but I wanted to go at least as far as 9, which I think is pretty good (albeit way too dialogue/cutscene heavy).

I think 9 is average at best, and to include 9 you have to include 8 which was terrible.

I think the ending works as a self-contained story. Freeman survived the Black Mesa disaster and has been hand-picked by some weird alien/government freaks to be their new agent. He either dies in a blaze of glory against the unwinnable alien grunt battle, or is whisked off by the G-Man to an unknown future. Obviously the latter ending is huge sequel bait but it would still work as a satisfying ending even if there had never been another Half-Life game. I also like how the cosmic horror keeps scaling up throughout Half-Life, culminating with the huge fetus that shoots teleporters. You've seen something so horrific and incomprehensible that no sequel could ever really expand on it in a meaningful way - indeed, we end up with the Combine, who are a bunch of losers in gasmasks and feel like a laughable step down from whatever the hell the Nihilanth was.

Speaking of the Combine... Half-Life's ending seems to imply, however vaguely and ambiguously, that you might have saved Earth from invasion. You're either dead or trapped in nightmare-hell stasis, but at least you might have saved everyone you loved. Half-Life 2 then says "oh actually there were some clowns in gasmasks behind everything and they overran Earth about one second after you left. sorry!" What was the point of anything that happened in HL1, then?! Might as well have just died in the test chamber.

Interesting take. I don't think many would agree though. However you choose to interpret HL's ending, it doesn't change that HL2 is a worthwhile experience for most people.

Not going to go too far into it here, but SS2 annoys me in a similar way to HL2. That is to say, about half of my criticisms are of the quality of the game itself, and the other half are of the game as a sequel.

Briefly, though:
- I don't like the RPG-lite elements at all and I don't understand why they're in the game. This isn't Deus Ex, it's a corridor shooter that's trying to pretend it's something else, and it gets weighed down by this kind of thing
- The enemies are almost universally boring to fight with shit AI
- Similarly, combat is completely unsatisfying, partially due to the pointless RPG/skill elements. People will argue that this is acceptable because combat isn't the main focus of the game, but I don't agree, combat and exploration are pretty clearly the core of the game
- Enemies respawning was a terrible idea. SS1 did this as well but it was much more manageable since SS1 was a dedicated shooter and you always had tons of ammo and combat was swift and brutal
- Degrading weapons. Fucking why. I get that resource scarcity is meant to be a major aspect of the game, but it doesn't work because the game still really isn't very difficult at all, so having your shit break is more of an annoyance than anything
- Beating a dead horse, but the endgame sucks more than Xen could ever dream of sucking
- This is personal taste I guess, but I didn't find the plot at all interesting. The tone didn't work for me either - SS1 was enjoyably ridiculous and very fast-paced and action-packed, whereas SS2's shift to survival horror results in it feeling like a game from a different (and worse) franchise altogether, not least because I didn't find the game effective as a horror game
- Similarly, the Von Braun and that other ship with all the weird shit on it aren't as fun to explore as Citadel Station

:shredder:

Ash

Arcane
There's plenty of game series that have dragged on too long, becoming sad hollow zombies. With all the remakes and sequels and remakes of sequels coming out lately, I've been thinking a lot about points at which game series "should" have ended.

For example, where would you have stopped the Fallout series? After New Vegas? After Fallout 2? Maybe you're even one of those people who thinks the first Fallout stands alone, and never needed any sequels.

-Fallout should have ended with New Vegas. I think New Vegas is worth having to deal with Tactics, BoS, and Fo3 as weird spinoff-y abberations.

Sure. Agree New Vegas.

And what about Thief? Would you have ended the series with Thief 2, or Deadly Shadows? Or even just had Thief TDP stand on its own as a masterpiece, no sequels necessary?

Certainly some time before Thi4f.

- Final Fantasy should probably have stopped at FFX, if not before that.

Agree. 9 or 10.

- Tomb Raider should have ended with Tomb Raider 2, but 2 is an odd number for a series so maybe throw TR3 or TLR in there as a third entry depending on which you like more.

Yup. Though I like the two isometric spinoffs for coop fun.

- Don't know how controversial this is, but Resident Evil didn't need to become such a huge franchise. The first game stands fine on its own as a great Alone in the Dark knockoff with a fantastically funny B-movie feel, and it didn't need any sequels. A lot of the subsequent games are fun and technically better than RE1 in a lot of ways, but they all feel sort of superfluous and unnecessary since the first game already basically got the formula perfect, I dunno.

Eh they all had their merits up until 6. All the spinoffs shouldn't have happened though.

- Half-Life never needed any sequels, or even expansion packs.

This guy is pretty monocled. Maybe we could be best of friends.

- Here we go, big controversy time: System Shock didn't need a sequel. Come retard-rate me.

Fuck you retard you're dead to me :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Drakan
First game ended with cliffhanger. They made sequel but... on console (first game was PC only) and they ignored the ending of the first game.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Warcraft 3 is a milestone in videogame history, but it doesn't have the charm of Warcraft 2.
It and half-life 2 feel like their own seperate IPs. Half-Life Alyx isn't a threequel to Half-life, it's a sequel to Half-life 2. World of Warcraft is a spinoff to Warcraft 3, and only Warcraft 3.
These are good games, but were only made as sequels to existing series to boost sales.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Deadly Shadows is a good ending point for Thief. Not on par with the first two, but a good game in its own right that wraps up the series in a fitting and satisfying way.

I'm so happy that they never made a Deus Ex game after the first one. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If Crysis had never gotten a sequel, I would have been left wondering "Why isn't anyone making a game like Crysis?" instead of "Why isn't Crytek making a game like Crysis?". :negative:

Dramart

Learned
Final Fantasy X-2 anyways FF for ps2 are for fags
Assassin's Creed II the story after this game started to be shit
Sonic 3 because all the games after were never as good
Mass Effect 3 because Bioware new people is bad making games
Dark Souls 3, the shouldnt make any more of that shit
Dragon Age Origins, everything else sucks

Starcraft should have stopped after Brood War.

Fallout should have stopped after Fallout 2.

Grand Theft Auto should have stopped after San Andreas.

The sequels to these games are good, Fallout 3 and NV, GTA V, Starcraft II, all good ones.

Lemming42

Arcane
Deus Ex is a great example of what I was getting at with this thread. I really like Human Revolution and most of Mankind Divided, but they both actively drag down the franchise by adding new lore/new events in the timeline that you have to awkwardly fit into the setting of the original game. Like a lot of sequels in this thread, they're also just tonally completely wrong/worse than the original Deus Ex, aiming to be substantially more dark and serious for no real reason.

If the Adam Jensen games had just been a new IP that proudly wore a strong Deus Ex influence on its sleeve, I think the original Deus Ex would shine even more brightly than it does today, and the Jensen games would also fare better as strong titles in their own right. As it stands, it feels like two different franchises tied awkwardly together, each dragging the other down in different ways, and the sequels inevitably end up coming off worse because Deus Ex is so great.

This seems to happen a lot with gaming and I don't understand the resistance to making new IPs. If Fallout 3 had been an all-new IP I seriously think we'd have been praising Bethesda for incorporating Fallout-style quest design into their new game.

Pentium

Learned
For example, where would you have stopped the Fallout series? After New Vegas? After Fallout 2? Maybe you're even one of those people who thinks the first Fallout stands alone, and never needed any sequels.
I'll never stop being too sad that BI never got to actually finish Van Buren. I'll never stop sharpening my Ka-Bar for Bethfags for how they've butchered end exploited the series. I haven't finished NV but the chunk I've played was rather good, totally better than F3, and I hear people say it's good too. But the Bethfags' engine and assets they used are just so fucking horrible! :argh: So I guess F2 should've closed the valve given the situation.

And what about Thief? Would you have ended the series with Thief 2, or Deadly Shadows? Or even just had Thief TDP stand on its own as a masterpiece, no sequels necessary?
DS was shit. I never really finished it (I'm still going to) cuz I got bored quickly and the visuals are so terrible. Whoever got the fucking idea of the blue - violet aether floating all around should be first waterboarded and then drowned in ink. Also, one of the Dark Engine's neatest features was alt-binding that I would use really extensively. Almost all the keys I used would have an alt-bind, the games are complex enough to actually make a use of it. DS didn't let you do that so that was already a big dissappointment. T2 ending reeks of one more sequel on the way but should've been done way differently, so. Actually, there are no more sequels after DS, right? You...don't really think that the reboot is anything like a fucking videogame, do you.:roll:

- Tomb Raider should have ended with Tomb Raider 2, but 2 is an odd number for a series so maybe throw TR3 or TLR in there as a third entry depending on which you like more.
I quite enjoyed the whole classic TR series until Chronicles. But they're pretty much all the same, that's right. And the "cube engine" pffft.

:retarded::retarded::retarded:

Well, yeah, but I would've been much more grateful for that than the gasmask alien nazi invasion conspiracy.

Most of the game series would be better not starting at all to be honest
:happytrollboy:

Otherwise I've never really finished any game series so I can't say. :oops:

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Deus Ex is a great example of what I was getting at with this thread. I really like Human Revolution and most of Mankind Divided, but they both actively drag down the franchise by adding new lore/new events in the timeline that you have to awkwardly fit into the setting of the original game. Like a lot of sequels in this thread, they're also just tonally completely wrong/worse than the original Deus Ex, aiming to be substantially more dark and serious for no real reason.

If the Adam Jensen games had just been a new IP that proudly wore a strong Deus Ex influence on its sleeve, I think the original Deus Ex would shine even more brightly than it does today, and the Jensen games would also fare better as strong titles in their own right. As it stands, it feels like two different franchises tied awkwardly together, each dragging the other down in different ways, and the sequels inevitably end up coming off worse because Deus Ex is so great.

This seems to happen a lot with gaming and I don't understand the resistance to making new IPs. If Fallout 3 had been an all-new IP I seriously think we'd have been praising Bethesda for incorporating Fallout-style quest design into their new game.
People also like to forget about Invisible War and the Fall.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Most series run into rough patches, so I'm more thinking like this is where the formula ran stale and people lost a flavor for it and/or grognards start to hate its soul. A lot of series go through rough patches and then revivify themselves though, so in some cases I'm basically pretending that doesn't happen. For example, Resident Evil has a lot of high points and in between some really shit stuff.

Prince of Persia - both the original and the reboot were amazing at the first title, but hurriedly dropped off after that with milking. Prince of Persia 3D as its 'first title' just failed, simply put.

Civilization IV BTS. Actually, the series did end at IV BTS. The next two games are more split from the series' formula than Call to Power was in the 90s.

Age of Wonders at the first expansion.

Company of Heroes at the first expansion.

Homeworld at the first expansion.

A bit niche, but the Battle Academy games. I'm assuming they can make them extremely fast but they could've stuck a fork in that formula after like game 2.

Stronghold series clearly crapped out at #2 and should have been stopped.

Disciples at II, but that's being lenient. It's clear even from game 1 that the formula had no legs.

Tropico at 4. So 3D + 1 additional entry. Not bad games, but it's all a blur after awhile.

Heroes of Might and Magic at... controversially, 5. But the thing is that is such a good formula it's almost not really the series' fault the devs can't hit that softball.

Dungeon Siege at 2. I think at 1 you got a nice taste, and 2 really finished it out. The third game is actually pretty different, but definitely flopped alongside Space Siege which nobody remembers.

The big ones to meeeeeee:

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell at Chaos Theory.

Rainbow Six at Rogue Spear.

Ghost Recon at the first series of expansions.

Close Combat series at THREE. I don't mean "new-three", I mean the original three, the Eastern Front.

Controversially would be C&C at Red Alert 2.

Silent Hill at 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom