Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your recommended CRPGs from the last decade?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Excellent work! I will download that shortly. Is the physical copy 'up to date'? Does the PDF contain many errata corrections and editions? Or did you print a new edition/wait for errata to be spotted first?
The PDF came out first in 2018, then in 2019 we did the physical copy with some extra stuff (like the professional cover art) and updated the PDF. Some stuff still slipped, but they are basically the same.

overly excitable young man

How does this Kingdom Come play? Looks like a machine killer.
Retarded combat but if you are interested in a walking/horse-riding simulator set in a realistic medieval setting then it's the game.
Plus it feels kinda Gothic in atmosphere as you're a complete noob at the beginning.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I gotta second some of the suggestions made here that I didn't mention in my first post.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong are both good. Play Shadowrun Returns if you really liked the other two and want more, otherwise skip it. It's the weakest and most limited of the three. Dragonfall is the best of them.

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is... well, you should know about Grimoire seeing how you're an oldfag Codexer. Cleve actually did it and released it. A golden baby can fly. And it's the best blobber since Wizardry 7.

Battle Brothers has great combat. It's procedurally generated though, which means no hand-crafted encounters, but the combat system is solid enough to make that bearable. You can field up to 12 guys on the battlefield at once, there's a huge selection of weapons and armors, and combat is very satisfying. Absolute recommend for a combatfag. Play it with the Legends mod.

Legend of Grimrock 2 is pretty good if you like Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder clones. Not my favorite subgenre of RPG but LoG2 was quite enjoyable. Huge world, lots of different puzzles to solve, pretty cool.

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is... well, you should know about Grimoire seeing how you're an oldfag Codexer. Cleve actually did it and released it. A golden baby can fly. And it's the best blobber since Wizardry 7.

Would you rate it better than Wizardry 8? (the one that actually came out, not the...uh...one with the Penisaurus...)

Harthwain

Magister
1) Disco Elysium.
2) NEO Scavenger.
3) Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
4) Battle Brothers.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, I will set Disco aside (it is still too hot like the brilliant sun) and remember some more:

The Age Of Decadence
ATOM RPG (the real Fallout 3)
Pillars of Eternity (only the first one)
Tides Of Numenera (it's not that bad as it usually portrayed)
Fallout: New Vegas and especially DLCs
Shadowrun: Dragonfall>Hong Kong>Returns - incredibly boring at times but still above the average
Tyranny - combat is broken, but the setting and style is great
Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls

Outmind

Augur
Battle Brothers was good, if a bit held back by its open-ended nature.

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is a decent attempt at a FF Tactics clone.

Kenshi is... something else.

How is that book you were working on back in the day? That was you, wasn't it?
I'm happy to say that it came out in 2018! You can get the PDF here: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/crpg_book_2.0-1.pdf

We also made a fancy limited physical edition, all profits to charity: https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/the-crpg-book-a-guide-to-computer-role-playing-games

How have I missed the physical copy release until now???!!!

I'm usually a cheapskate but promised myself I'd get the book if it ever went into print. And it's a beautifully bound hardcopy at that!

Just ordered a copy, so chalk one more up for the kids.

V_K

Arcane
Heroine's Quest - a great spiritual successor to Quest for Glory series.
West of Loathing - despite slapstick presentation, a great RPG with interesting quests, lots of alternative paths, different endings and solid mechanics.
Unexplored - the one roguelike (roguelite) where procedural levels end up as good, if not better, than handcrafted ones.
Voidspire Tactics - think Final Fantasy Tactics (combat, class system) meets Ultima (open world, interactive environments, non-linear plot).
The Council - non-combat Adventure/RPG set in occult 18th century. And unlike Disco Elysium, is not a CYOA.
Lords of Xulima - open-world isometric RPG with blobber combat and some of the best dungeon design in recent years.

Plus seconding:
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Legend of Grimrock 2
Blackguards 1

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Also, for storyfaggotry, Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies. Dunno if they'd count as RPGs though.

Yeah, totally forgot about them (which is weird because I'm playing this literally right now). It is generally considered as a mix of roguelike and Visual novel. However, there are levels, skillchecks, quests, branching storylines, sooooo.

mondblut

Arcane

Would you rate it better than Wizardry 8? (the one that actually came out, not the...uh...one with the Penisaurus...)

It is THE Wizardry 8, while Wizardry 8 is something else. Not necessarily worse, but not quite the same. Grimoire is a proper finale to the Bradley Wizardry trilogy.

overly excitable young man

No original games but i'm still sad that they weren't named yet:
Fallout 1.5 Resurrection
Fallout of Nevada
Much better games than a lot of stuff that already got mentioned.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, I won't say AOD or Underrail and others that everyone else has quoted already, it would be redundant after all. After trying all these, if you're still looking for new things, maybe you could try - none of these games on the list below are part of the "best RPGs evar", but have at least one or two curious/interesting features:

1. Enderal: Forgotten Stories - Technically it's a Skyrim MOD, but if you want to know what a Bethesda game would be like in a smaller, denser world with more competent story, this is the game for you. Obviously you need to have Skyrim, but you can install the MOD in Steam with just one click, it has its own page.

2. Grim Dawn - If you like Diablo clones, this is a good game to try. There's nothing incredibly revolutionary about it, but it has a good atmosphere and the environments are much more macabre and dirty than Diablo 3 itself.

3. Kenshi - This is a difficult game to describe, because it is much more a sandbox than an actual RPG. You actually create a character, but after that you are dropped into the world without a real goal. Those who don't like it usually hate it, but those who like the game end up in love with it. In a sense it reminds me of Dwarf Fortress.

4. Lords of Xulima - Sort of a blobber only not really? It has an interesting ambiance/setting and the look of the game is quite different. Some people here at Codex liked it a lot, maybe you can look if you find it in a sale.

5. Might & Magic X - Legacy - I mean, I don't have much to say about it. It's Might & Magic, you probably know what to expect. It's not the best in the series, but it's not the worst either.

6. Pathfinder: Kingmaker - The closest thing to a Baldur's Gate you'll find today, at least when we talk about creating your own characters, following tabletop rules. Personally it's in my TOP5 of the decade, but many people have hated certain parts of the game.

7. Tyranny - If you have managed to enjoy POE, think of this as a game that is also good looking, but smaller in scope and focused on 2 factions with the premise of a world where "evil has won". It's a shame that Obsidian didn't take this premise as far as it could have gone, but it's still a game that has its charm.

8. The Witcher 3 - A game from the Witcher series, but open world. The gameplay is as popamole as you can guess, but the ambiance/setting and the narrative is very captivating. There's plenty of C&C there, and if you don't mind looking for some MODs, you might even enjoy the combat.

And obviously, it's worth a visit here - you will notice that there are some recent games in the top 50 that might be worth checking out:
The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The Witcher 3 - A game from the Witcher series, but open world. The gameplay is as popamole as you can guess, but the ambiance/setting and the narrative is very captivating. There's plenty of C&C there, and if you don't mind looking for some MODs, you might even enjoy the combat.

like what MODs? could this combat be fixed?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is that book you were working on back in the day? That was you, wasn't it?
I'm happy to say that it came out in 2018! You can get the PDF here: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/crpg_book_2.0-1.pdf

We also made a fancy limited physical edition, all profits to charity: https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/the-crpg-book-a-guide-to-computer-role-playing-games

How have I missed the physical copy release until now???!!!

I'm usually a cheapskate but promised myself I'd get the book if it ever went into print. And it's a beautifully bound hardcopy at that!

Just ordered a copy, so chalk one more up for the kids.

Same here!! How the HECKFIRE did I not know this was a done deal?!! felipepepe you jerk, why did I not know?!!!!

:love: you anyway felipepepe ;) Oh, and also ordered a copy!!

Drowed

Arcane
The Witcher 3 - A game from the Witcher series, but open world. The gameplay is as popamole as you can guess, but the ambiance/setting and the narrative is very captivating. There's plenty of C&C there, and if you don't mind looking for some MODs, you might even enjoy the combat.

like what MODs? could this combat be fixed?

Some people claim that there are mods that improve the combat, yeah. But your mileage may vary.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I really like Wizardry 8 so I'd say they're about equal. Grimoire is overall a bit smoother and more polished than W8 cause it had more time to iron out the issues.

V_K

Arcane
Is it true that despite powerful beginning it ends not with the bang but with the whimper?
Not quite, at least not to the same extent as e.g. Bloodlines or Stygian. I'd say it starts great and ends merely fine. There's a certain plot transition in the 4th episode that isn't handled well, and the game gets a little too generous with consumables and skill-raising items around the same time. But otherwise the last two episodes are fine, they still have strong puzzles and C&Cs. But the ending itself is quite good, especially when you realize how many different ways it can play out depending on your previous actions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom